ENGINE OIL TEMP AFTER MOWING

robert

Threads
I am interested in both the capacity of the cooler and the DP across the cooler; my guess is that the resistance to flow is negligible but it should be checked as the pump capacity is most likely very limited.

At any rate this is probably the single most important change anyone could make, though everyone who operates in cool weather should keep in mind that it may be a disadvantage when it gets cold-but it would be easy to cover the cooler when temps drop to avoid the very real problem of oil not getting up to temp.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... the very real problem of oil not getting up to temp.

See ... Another reason to use a good Synthetic... No flow problems when Cold... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I am interested in both the capacity of the cooler and the DP across the cooler; my guess is that the resistance to flow is negligible but it should be checked as the pump capacity is most likely very limited.

At any rate this is probably the single most important change anyone could make, though everyone who operates in cool weather should keep in mind that it may be a disadvantage when it gets cold-but it would be easy to cover the cooler when temps drop to avoid the very real problem of oil not getting up to temp.

You could do what I did with my Corvette I have a thermostat that only routes oil through the cooler when it reaches 180F

tankdriver

Threads

Briggs says 64 oz.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
with old style oil....cooler temps can create sludge......but with synthetic..its greatly reduced...just another reason to run the good stuff! :thumbsup:

robert

Threads
Now an oil cooler with a solinoid bypass would be cool...

With regard to synthetic oil; I have become a 100% believer in a certain brand of syn products-lets leave the name out so as to avoid the usual shift in topic (this Company was the first to bring to the consumer market a synthtic oil) and they are very good in providing tech help, especially to the 'preferrred' customer base. We operate a number of diesel vehicles, which I am responsible for maintaing and a few years ago I decided to try a 10-30 diesel synthetic oil for fuel economy reasons (I read that every engine is designed around the performance specs of a 10/30) anyway, finding a 10-30 diesel engine oil with a 12 tbn rating got my interest and I sent an email to the Company asking specifically if this oil flowed better at low temps than a dino 10/30 and the answer surprised me-no it does not; a 10/30 syn is a 10/30 dino with regard to flow. I did try the 10/30 and was quite surprised at the results; while the fuel economy did improve by about 1 mpg (previous oil was a 15/40 diesel spec synthetic) the engines with heui systems (read Ford 6.0 psd) 'seemed' to take a few more cranks to start, not many but just a few-no change in oil consumption.

Of course I will recommend anyone follow the manufacturers recommendations with regard to engine oil, but if your manual includes an approval for a 10-30 grade of diesel for current operating conditions I would suggest you give it a try if you have not alread done so, you may be as surprised as I was.

AND as a point of interest for those who are diesel people, the '06/'07 6.0 Ford Powerstrokes are some of the best engines we have every owned. Ironic that Ford/International finally fixed the engine then Ford stopped using it. Yes previous versions were a crap shoot, usually not a good roll, but man did they finally get it right.

Double AND, yes this Ford owner will admit that the DMax and Cummins for that matter are 'better' engines-have at me boys.

Black Bart

Threads
Now an oil cooler with a solinoid bypass would be cool...

With regard to synthetic oil; I have become a 100% believer in a certain brand of syn products-lets leave the name out so as to avoid the usual shift in topic (this Company was the first to bring to the consumer market a synthtic oil) and they are very good in providing tech help, especially to the 'preferrred' customer base. We operate a number of diesel vehicles, which I am responsible for maintaing and a few years ago I decided to try a 10-30 diesel synthetic oil for fuel economy reasons (I read that every engine is designed around the performance specs of a 10/30) anyway, finding a 10-30 diesel engine oil with a 12 tbn rating got my interest and I sent an email to the Company asking specifically if this oil flowed better at low temps than a dino 10/30 and the answer surprised me-no it does not; a 10/30 syn is a 10/30 dino with regard to flow. I did try the 10/30 and was quite surprised at the results; while the fuel economy did improve by about 1 mpg (previous oil was a 15/40 diesel spec synthetic) the engines with heui systems (read Ford 6.0 psd) 'seemed' to take a few more cranks to start, not many but just a few-no change in oil consumption.

Of course I will recommend anyone follow the manufacturers recommendations with regard to engine oil, but if your manual includes an approval for a 10-30 grade of diesel for current operating conditions I would suggest you give it a try if you have not alread done so, you may be as surprised as I was.

AND as a point of interest for those who are diesel people, the '06/'07 6.0 Ford Powerstrokes are some of the best engines we have every owned. Ironic that Ford/International finally fixed the engine then Ford stopped using it. Yes previous versions were a crap shoot, usually not a good roll, but man did they finally get it right.

Double AND, yes this Ford owner will admit that the DMax and Cummins for that matter are 'better' engines-have at me boys.

10-30 will slightly improve the mpg over the 40 regardless of brand.
For those that don't know Robert is talking about AMSOIL

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, in your opinion, why are certain diesel engines troublesome? Poor design, careless manufacturing, failure to test before putting on the market, or whatever?

I have always been a huge fan of the 5.9 Cummins myself, when I drove trucks for a living that engine was my favorite of the medium duty diesels available in the fleet. Dead reliable, whatever vehicle it was installed in.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, in your opinion, why are certain diesel engines troublesome? Poor design, careless manufacturing, failure to test before putting on the market, or whatever?

I have always been a huge fan of the 5.9 Cummins myself, when I drove trucks for a living that engine was my favorite of the medium duty diesels available in the fleet. Dead reliable, whatever vehicle it was installed in.

Great Engine! But.. not worth having to buy a Dodge to get it.