ENGINE OIL TEMP AFTER MOWING

demhustler

Threads
could you take picture of the hood area that covers the cooler too?....thanks :thumbsup:..........theres another thing too...they make oil filter coolers that would add help too oil filter cooler - Google Search

wow... - thanks, man - great ideas, and thanks for the link - good idea : ))))

Attachments

• oil.cool.goog.JPG
    oil.cool.goog.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 16

robert

Threads
For anyone considering installing that cooler on a Briggs, I called them to get the part numbers so I could put one on my brand new Intek ELS; was told by Briggs tech service that doing so would void the warranty. I pointed out to them that every engine pictured in my ELS owners manual had the cooler installed, was told that the manual is 'generic' and that putting one on an engine which did not come from the factory with one would absolutely void the warranty-Briggs is a wonderful Company.

Black Bart

Threads
For anyone considering installing that cooler on a Briggs, I called them to get the part numbers so I could put one on my brand new Intek ELS; was told by Briggs tech service that doing so would void the warranty. I pointed out to them that every engine pictured in my ELS owners manual had the cooler installed, was told that the manual is 'generic' and that putting one on an engine which did not come from the factory with one would absolutely void the warranty-Briggs is a wonderful Company.

Not hard to understand Briggs position on this. Someone cobbles up something and it pumps all the oil out and burns up the engine and then they would want Briggs to repair it under warranty.

Far to many shade tree mechanics for a company to warranty everyone's work.

robert

Threads
Black Bart, I agree if it was an installation error but I think most would find it interesting that Briggs has a cooler installed on EVERY Intek ELS engine pictured in my manual, Briggs has the cooler as an aftermarket part and Briggs says buying the cooler, installing it-correctly-will void the warranty.

Kohler on the other hand, lists their cooler AND an oil filter relocating setup(it is slick) and they don't care if you install one or not, but more importantly if you install one the Kohler warranty remains intact-installed correctly that is.

This brand engine v that brand engine v another brand engine discussions will continue forever, and that is fine as it is interesting to me, and as many mention it pretty much comes down to preference/opinion. However the voiding the warranty nonsense with the addition of an genuine Briggs part on an engine which is pictured multiple times in the owners manual with that part installed is a very very valid reason to call it what it is, stupid and ridiculous-many substitute very non complimentary words for B/S, and Briggs has earned this practice.

Should anyone doubt what I type just take a look at your late model Intek ELS owners manual or, should you be fortunate and NOT own a Briggs ELS download one from the Briggs site and see for yourself, to make matters more confusing my manual even lists the cooler part number as an option/accessory-they really are ultra maroons.

tankdriver

Threads
could you take picture of the hood area that covers the cooler too?....thanks :thumbsup:..........theres another thing too...they make oil filter coolers that would add help too oil filter cooler - Google Search

Here are the photos of the outside and inside of the area where the cooler is installed.

Pictureiphone007.jpg

Pictureiphone008.jpg

Pictureiphone009.jpg

tankdriver

Threads
Black Bart, I agree if it was an installation error but I think most would find it interesting that Briggs has a cooler installed on EVERY Intek ELS engine pictured in my manual, Briggs has the cooler as an aftermarket part and Briggs says buying the cooler, installing it-correctly-will void the warranty.

Kohler on the other hand, lists their cooler AND an oil filter relocating setup(it is slick) and they don't care if you install one or not, but more importantly if you install one the Kohler warranty remains intact-installed correctly that is.

This brand engine v that brand engine v another brand engine discussions will continue forever, and that is fine as it is interesting to me, and as many mention it pretty much comes down to preference/opinion. However the voiding the warranty nonsense with the addition of an genuine Briggs part on an engine which is pictured multiple times in the owners manual with that part installed is a very very valid reason to call it what it is, stupid and ridiculous-many substitute very non complimentary words for B/S, and Briggs has earned this practice.

Should anyone doubt what I type just take a look at your late model Intek ELS owners manual or, should you be fortunate and NOT own a Briggs ELS download one from the Briggs site and see for yourself, to make matters more confusing my manual even lists the cooler part number as an option/accessory-they really are ultra maroons.

Did you ask him why it would void it?

robert

Threads
Yes I did and the answer was because since my Intek did not come from the factory with the cooler adding one is considered to be a 'modification'. And in case anyone is wondering the Exmark dealer also called and inquired and the parts manager was told that no cooler was available for the Intek ELS-amazing or what? :confused2:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are the photos of the outside and inside of the area where the cooler is installed.

Pictureiphone007.jpg

Pictureiphone008.jpg

Pictureiphone009.jpg

thanks for the pics!.....i guess you could call that a passive cooler then....."just get it out of the engine for a while" approach.....it probably only drops it 10 degrees or so.......but may be a critical 10 degrees.:wink:..by the way that PGT 9000 is a solid mower....something to keep around for a long time! :thumbsup:

tankdriver

Threads
thanks for the pics!.....i guess you could call that a passive cooler then....."just get it out of the engine for a while" approach.....it probably only drops it 10 degrees or so.......but may be a critical 10 degrees.:wink:..by the way that PGT 9000 is a solid mower....something to keep around for a long time! :thumbsup:

The vent I show in the front of the hood is inline with the cooler. I have not checked to see if it is a draw or out going air flow. But it looks like they pointed it at the cooler. With the dust on the inside of the hood, looks like air comes in through it. I'll check it tomorrow.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The vent I show in the front of the hood is inline with the cooler. I have not checked to see if it is a draw or out going air flow. But it looks like they pointed it at the cooler. With the dust on the inside of the hood, looks like air comes in through it. I'll check it tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, what is the oil capacity of your engine? Also, how much oil do you think the cooler itself holds by itself? I really think an oil cooler is a great idea (my GMC has one because of the factory tow pkg) but have never really seen one on a garden tractor. Hence my queries, I am wondering how much extra oil is added to the total capacity by having the cooler. Thanks. Think it was Black Bart who told us that having a bigger oil filter added oil capacity compared to a standard filter, so....