Chainsaw opinions?

Threads
I don't know about the best deal but one of the best chainsaw according to pros is the Efco (20") 80.7cc Professional Gas Chain Saw.

MT8200-20_10580_225.jpg

Never seen that brand around here, but it looks nice! :thumbsup:

Threads
hes in his 40's. hes cut wood all his life and he wants something small for cleanup. also my mom wants one tree cut down because it blocks alot of light where our pool is. I personally think he should go with the husqvarna 240.

You sure he wouldn't want a saw that's a lil older than him ???

Sounds like you found a good choice in the 240 . Maybe have him pick it up and handle it for a few min's to see if he's comfy with it .
After that , non-ethenol gas if you can get it , and a couple back up chains so they can be kept sharpened .

metz12

Threads
hey that thing is cool! he likes the 240 because it has 2 bar nuts. also I go to school with my local dealers daughter and have known him for years. he will give me "a good deal" :laughing: the only thing is that i cant put the bucking teeth things on the saw.

AQHACyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stihl ms290 farm boss
Good all round saw. 20" bar

Or

Husqvarna 455 rancher

I'd take either one.
I use the Stihl 290 and it can be a little under powered in big stuff (talking 18" diameter and up) but take yr time it gets it done.

The Stihl MS 391 has more power and it is easy to handle and cuts clean. On heavy like 3ft maple it is nite and day. It is what I use but husband uses the 290. I keep the horse pastures clean and the wood burner going.

Mike D

Forum Newbie
Threads
My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I have a small husky chain saw ( don't remember what size ). Even with constant chain adjusting and lubricant the chain dulls quickly. I suggest you go to a hardwear store that carries a full line ( any brand ) of chain saws, compare the size of the chain and consider purchasing the lowest cost saw that has the widest ( thickest ) chain. It will hold up to the to the hardest jobs and come back for more. You will become your fathers favorite son -- because you didn't buy junk!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a small husky chain saw ( don't remember what size ). Even with constant chain adjusting and lubricant the chain dulls quickly. I suggest you go to a hardwear store that carries a full line ( any brand ) of chain saws, compare the size of the chain and consider purchasing the lowest cost saw that has the widest ( thickest ) chain. It will hold up to the to the hardest jobs and come back for more. You will become your fathers favorite son -- because you didn't buy junk!

Stop digging it into dirt..... it won't dull out proper use of chainsaw will allow it to stay sharp longer yes they dull but there are things that make it dull faster

Dirt soil rocks pushing to hard into wood stuff like that

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
How often does everyone sharpen their chain when using a chainsaw?
Also what do you use to sharpen the chain?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also if you want to buy a decent saw for fire wood etc then look for an Efco dealer.

The low end Stihl and Husqvarna product is high price and low quality IMO

Threads
How often does everyone sharpen their chain when using a chainsaw?

Also what do you use to sharpen the chain?

Sharpen when the chips start getting smaller and thinner .

A file.

ETA : A dull chain will overheat and the teeth will lose the temper and not hold a sharp edge.
Also , it is easy to over heat the teeth with an electric grinder ( with the same results ) if you are not very careful .

At least that has been my personal experience. YMMV :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wise old timer once told me if you use your saw the proper way you never need to sharpen your chain. The file is made to keep the teeth clean and sharp.

Just like with a mower blade you use a file to clean it up. Keep it sharp.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))