Export thread

Chainsaw opinions?

metz12

metz12

My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

S

sgmgarden

Hi There. I would agree with you and say that Husqvarna is a good brand of chainsaw to have. They produce a range of outdoor machinery and tools for both domestic and professional users. They are a reliable brand and they produce high quality products that are made to last. Stihl are another good brand of chainsaw. Stihl produce arboriculture and outdoor machinery, alongside safety clothing. I would definitely say they are a dependable brand as they are regarded as the leader within their sector.

metz12

metz12

Hi There. I would agree with you and say that Husqvarna is a good brand of chainsaw to have. They produce a range of outdoor machinery and tools for both domestic and professional users. They are a reliable brand and they produce high quality products that are made to last. Stihl are another good brand of chainsaw. Stihl produce arboriculture and outdoor machinery, alongside safety clothing. I would definitely say they are a dependable brand as they are regarded as the leader within their sector.

but which one? ive pretty much narrowed it down to those 2 brands

Parkmower

Parkmower

Stihl ms290 farm boss
Good all round saw. 20" bar

Or

Husqvarna 455 rancher

I'd take either one.
I use the Stihl 290 and it can be a little under powered in big stuff (talking 18" diameter and up) but take yr time it gets it done.

okiepc

okiepc

I have a Stihl MS290, it is a pretty good saw, runs well, starts easy, easy chain adjust, I use it about 40% of the time. The other 60% I use a saw no longer made, a John Deere CS56, It is my go to saw, a work horse, don't know what I will do when it wears out. :thumbsup:

A

afoulk

I don't know, first brand that pops into my head when I think chainsaws is STIHL. Followed by Husqvarna. I have my dads old STIHL that I took for myself after he passed away, doing yard work with him was one of my fondest memories from when I was a kid. He bought it new back in 1983 and pretty much cleared the 1.75 acres that my parents built their house on with it. I know the new ones are called a Farm Boss, but I swear his is called a Wood Boss, but I could be wrong. It does bog down in big stuff, but I'll never use anything else.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I know the new ones are called a Farm Boss, but I swear his is called a Wood Boss, but I could be wrong.

Could be....

MS270.gif

(http://www.awesomemachines.net/stihl/st_images/MidRange/MS270.gif)

A

afoulk

Here we go, I found a couple pics of it that I took almost 2 yrs ago.

She needs a tune up and carb cleaning real bad, dad got kinda lazy with his maintenance as he got older. it'll start, but not after pulling till your arm feels like its going to fall off. Not bad for a saw that sat for probably 7 or 8 yrs without being started until about 3 yrs ago. Air filter is pretty nasty looking too.

metz12

metz12

thats a new one i think though fanatic. well newer then 1983

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

thats a new one i think though fanatic. well newer then 1983

Yeah...just showing that "Wood Boss" is a name.

M

Mad Mackie

There are three Husqvarna saws in my trailer, a 142/12" bar, a 455/20" bar, and a 390/24" bar. I also keep a 32" bar for the 390 but It is getting too much for me to handle.
I prefer the handling characteristics of Husqvarna saws to Stihl saws.
JMO
Mad Mackie in CT

G

gabowman

I have a small Husky...model 44...and it worked HARD for 10+ years as all I heated my house with was wood. I have used it sparingly for the past 10 or so years and this chainsaw has never needed repairing other than things like chain, pull rope, wore out a few bars, etc.

metz12

metz12

i think hes between the 235 and the ms170. i use a husqvarna 345 (yes i found a new one to the ones that know that my old one got a tree dropped on it) and i like it but its too big for what he needs. its kind of a toss up for me too.

Fish

Fish

The Stihl "Wood Boss" and "Farm Boss" were just names they trademarked back in the 1980s, they really don't mean too much.

midnite rider

midnite rider

My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the best deal but one of the best chainsaw according to pros is the Efco (20") 80.7cc Professional Gas Chain Saw.

MT8200-20_10580_225.jpg

okiepc

okiepc

I don't know about the best deal but one of the best chainsaw according to pros is the Efco (20") 80.7cc Professional Gas Chain Saw.

MT8200-20_10580_225.jpg

After researching my John Deere CS56, I found out it was made by Efco. The only difference in that picture is mine is Green, built exactly like that. No wonder I like it so much:thumbsup:

M

Mad Mackie

Things to consider when buying a chainsaw:
Age of the operator.
Cutting skill level of the operator.
Type of cutting, (ie, from light trimming to felling and cutting up 100' tall trees).
Mechanical skill level of operator.
Local sales and servicing dealers.
Availability of chains, bars, and chain sharpening.
Just some thoughts.
Everyone wants a "deal" on everything we buy!!!

N

Natureboy

First you must consider what is going to be done with the chainsaw. Getting a "good deal" on a Husqvarna 240 will do you no good if you are planning to take down several 30" thick oaks. Can be done, but wouldn't recommend. Buy the best saw you can afford that will do the job you need done!

metz12

metz12

hes in his 40's. hes cut wood all his life and he wants something small for cleanup. also my mom wants one tree cut down because it blocks alot of light where our pool is. I personally think he should go with the husqvarna 240.

M

motoman

A Husky 20" has served me well. Many cords of madrone for house heat. Finally it was cutting curves which was fixed with a new drive sprocket. Also replaced pull cord. Always used the manual file jig and am on my second chain. Saw is over ten years old. Original bar.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

MT8200-20_10580_225.jpg

Never seen that brand around here, but it looks nice! :thumbsup:

hes in his 40's. hes cut wood all his life and he wants something small for cleanup. also my mom wants one tree cut down because it blocks alot of light where our pool is. I personally think he should go with the husqvarna 240.

You sure he wouldn't want a saw that's a lil older than him ???

Sounds like you found a good choice in the 240 . Maybe have him pick it up and handle it for a few min's to see if he's comfy with it .
After that , non-ethenol gas if you can get it , and a couple back up chains so they can be kept sharpened .

metz12

metz12

hey that thing is cool! he likes the 240 because it has 2 bar nuts. also I go to school with my local dealers daughter and have known him for years. he will give me "a good deal" :laughing: the only thing is that i cant put the bucking teeth things on the saw.

AQHACyn

AQHACyn

Stihl ms290 farm boss
Good all round saw. 20" bar

Or

Husqvarna 455 rancher

I'd take either one.
I use the Stihl 290 and it can be a little under powered in big stuff (talking 18" diameter and up) but take yr time it gets it done.

The Stihl MS 391 has more power and it is easy to handle and cuts clean. On heavy like 3ft maple it is nite and day. It is what I use but husband uses the 290. I keep the horse pastures clean and the wood burner going.

M

Mike D

I have a small husky chain saw ( don't remember what size ). Even with constant chain adjusting and lubricant the chain dulls quickly. I suggest you go to a hardwear store that carries a full line ( any brand ) of chain saws, compare the size of the chain and consider purchasing the lowest cost saw that has the widest ( thickest ) chain. It will hold up to the to the hardest jobs and come back for more. You will become your fathers favorite son -- because you didn't buy junk!

exotion

exotion

I have a small husky chain saw ( don't remember what size ). Even with constant chain adjusting and lubricant the chain dulls quickly. I suggest you go to a hardwear store that carries a full line ( any brand ) of chain saws, compare the size of the chain and consider purchasing the lowest cost saw that has the widest ( thickest ) chain. It will hold up to the to the hardest jobs and come back for more. You will become your fathers favorite son -- because you didn't buy junk!

Stop digging it into dirt..... it won't dull out proper use of chainsaw will allow it to stay sharp longer yes they dull but there are things that make it dull faster

Dirt soil rocks pushing to hard into wood stuff like that

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

How often does everyone sharpen their chain when using a chainsaw?
Also what do you use to sharpen the chain?

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Also if you want to buy a decent saw for fire wood etc then look for an Efco dealer.

The low end Stihl and Husqvarna product is high price and low quality IMO

Sharpen when the chips start getting smaller and thinner .

A file.

ETA : A dull chain will overheat and the teeth will lose the temper and not hold a sharp edge.
Also , it is easy to over heat the teeth with an electric grinder ( with the same results ) if you are not very careful .

At least that has been my personal experience. YMMV :smile:

Carscw

Carscw

I wise old timer once told me if you use your saw the proper way you never need to sharpen your chain. The file is made to keep the teeth clean and sharp.

Just like with a mower blade you use a file to clean it up. Keep it sharp.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

M

ModernMode

I own a Stihl and would definitely reccommend it. If it will be rarely used just aroung the yard one of the smaller ones will do. But spend the extra money and get one where you can adjust the chain tension without tools. It's worth it.

T

tsimm1

For my bigger stuff, I use a Husky Model 61,but for the small trimming, I still use a McCullough Mini Mac that I bought in the 1970's.It is still a very good running, easy starting,lightweight,powerhouse.I re sharpened the chain using a 3/16 file instead of the standard 1/8 and WOW What a difference!It acts like a termite on steroids!
That was the Last American chainsaw.I believe they were bought out by Husky,but not sure.
Anyway, my personal preference is Husky over Stihl.

I

ILENGINE

Husqvarna owns McCulloch. Has since about 2006. Part availability is about zero.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Husqvarna owns McCulloch...

As you can tell with some of their mowers :rolleyes: (post #39 in this thread): http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/toro-wheelhorse-forum/7006-timemaster-30-a-4.html

R

RaulMcCai

It if ain't a Stihl then it ain't nuthin'.

I've used all kinds and killed 'em too logging in Maine building log home from logs we logged on the property outside Taunton MA . Got galactically lazy and use my chainsaw to do all my wood splitting for the three cords I burn each year. Resawing monster logs into cants for breakdown in my BandSaw to lumber.

The closest I've come to killing a Stihl was when I dropped my 036 out of a tree from abut 50 feet & cracked the gas tank.

Sizing the saw to the man's uses is terribly important. Too small is bad and too large is going to be a permanent backbreaker.
What's he want to do with it?
Limbing small trees and maintenance around the house or felling trees and cutting them up?

If all he's going to do is light work a little Echo might be just the ticket. I've had an echo for better than 15 years and run the hell out of it even after I stopped climbing trees.

H

HoboDewey

Take advice from someone with long term experience with chainsaws. Buy the husqvarna and you will eventually swear at it instead of by it. It may be ok for someone that will only use it a couple times a year but if you are a serious wood cutter buy a Stihl. You won't be sorry. My advice is to buy the smallest, lightest saw for the size of trees you plan to cut. Look at the professional tree cutters. They will be in the air limbing with a stihl saw with a 12 inch blade. You can take my advice now or listen to my "I told you so" later.

S

Skiguy02920

Take advice from someone with long term experience with chainsaws. Buy the husqvarna and you will eventually swear at it instead of by it. It may be ok for someone that will only use it a couple times a year but if you are a serious wood cutter buy a Stihl. You won't be sorry. My advice is to buy the smallest, lightest saw for the size of trees you plan to cut. Look at the professional tree cutters. They will be in the air limbing with a stihl saw with a 12 inch blade. You can take my advice now or listen to my "I told you so" later.

Take some advice from another who has long term experience with chain saws (well, I guess. If you consider 35 years long term anyway). EITHER the correct size stihl or the correct size husky will serve your dad well....and for a LONG time. I run a ms290 stihl, my neighbor runs husky, and neither of us has had any serious issues over the last 30+. So for me the question should be where is the most reliable, closest dealer, and which brand does he service and sell? neighbor and I both use an outfit that when you walk into the large showroom the entire left side is all husky products while the entire right side is all stihl! Guy candy store city! Buy either and you are good, buy crap like popular or the like and you are screwed.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Sharpen when the chips start getting smaller and thinner .

A file.

ETA : A dull chain will overheat and the teeth will lose the temper and not hold a sharp edge.
Also , it is easy to over heat the teeth with an electric grinder ( with the same results ) if you are not very careful .

At least that has been my personal experience. YMMV :smile:

I was always taught the abc or 123.
Fill your fuel, fill your oil and sharpen your chain.
I use a file with holder and sharpen at an angle of 30ー

S

Skiguy02920

I run a stihl ms290 and bought a file kit for like fifteen bucks to go with it. Every couple of tanks of gas I get out the kit, to which I have added a. Permanent magic marker, and touch up the cutting edges first and then hit the depth teeth with a quick stroke or two. Take ten minutes at most, and makes cutting fast, easy and straight a LOT easier. Ront