Chainsaw opinions?

metz12

Threads
My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

sgmgarden

Threads
Hi There. I would agree with you and say that Husqvarna is a good brand of chainsaw to have. They produce a range of outdoor machinery and tools for both domestic and professional users. They are a reliable brand and they produce high quality products that are made to last. Stihl are another good brand of chainsaw. Stihl produce arboriculture and outdoor machinery, alongside safety clothing. I would definitely say they are a dependable brand as they are regarded as the leader within their sector.

metz12

Threads
Hi There. I would agree with you and say that Husqvarna is a good brand of chainsaw to have. They produce a range of outdoor machinery and tools for both domestic and professional users. They are a reliable brand and they produce high quality products that are made to last. Stihl are another good brand of chainsaw. Stihl produce arboriculture and outdoor machinery, alongside safety clothing. I would definitely say they are a dependable brand as they are regarded as the leader within their sector.

but which one? ive pretty much narrowed it down to those 2 brands

Parkmower

Threads
Stihl ms290 farm boss
Good all round saw. 20" bar

Or

Husqvarna 455 rancher

I'd take either one.
I use the Stihl 290 and it can be a little under powered in big stuff (talking 18" diameter and up) but take yr time it gets it done.

okiepc

Threads
I have a Stihl MS290, it is a pretty good saw, runs well, starts easy, easy chain adjust, I use it about 40% of the time. The other 60% I use a saw no longer made, a John Deere CS56, It is my go to saw, a work horse, don't know what I will do when it wears out. :thumbsup:

afoulk

Threads
I don't know, first brand that pops into my head when I think chainsaws is STIHL. Followed by Husqvarna. I have my dads old STIHL that I took for myself after he passed away, doing yard work with him was one of my fondest memories from when I was a kid. He bought it new back in 1983 and pretty much cleared the 1.75 acres that my parents built their house on with it. I know the new ones are called a Farm Boss, but I swear his is called a Wood Boss, but I could be wrong. It does bog down in big stuff, but I'll never use anything else.

Threads
I know the new ones are called a Farm Boss, but I swear his is called a Wood Boss, but I could be wrong.

Could be....

MS270.gif

(http://www.awesomemachines.net/stihl/st_images/MidRange/MS270.gif)

afoulk

Threads
Here we go, I found a couple pics of it that I took almost 2 yrs ago.

She needs a tune up and carb cleaning real bad, dad got kinda lazy with his maintenance as he got older. it'll start, but not after pulling till your arm feels like its going to fall off. Not bad for a saw that sat for probably 7 or 8 yrs without being started until about 3 yrs ago. Air filter is pretty nasty looking too.