Chainsaw opinions?

ModernMode

Threads
I own a Stihl and would definitely reccommend it. If it will be rarely used just aroung the yard one of the smaller ones will do. But spend the extra money and get one where you can adjust the chain tension without tools. It's worth it.

tsimm1

Threads
Could be....

MS270.gif

(http://www.awesomemachines.net/stihl/st_images/MidRange/MS270.gif)

For my bigger stuff, I use a Husky Model 61,but for the small trimming, I still use a McCullough Mini Mac that I bought in the 1970's.It is still a very good running, easy starting,lightweight,powerhouse.I re sharpened the chain using a 3/16 file instead of the standard 1/8 and WOW What a difference!It acts like a termite on steroids!
That was the Last American chainsaw.I believe they were bought out by Husky,but not sure.
Anyway, my personal preference is Husky over Stihl.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Husqvarna owns McCulloch. Has since about 2006. Part availability is about zero.

RaulMcCai

Threads
It if ain't a Stihl then it ain't nuthin'.

I've used all kinds and killed 'em too logging in Maine building log home from logs we logged on the property outside Taunton MA . Got galactically lazy and use my chainsaw to do all my wood splitting for the three cords I burn each year. Resawing monster logs into cants for breakdown in my BandSaw to lumber.

The closest I've come to killing a Stihl was when I dropped my 036 out of a tree from abut 50 feet & cracked the gas tank.

Sizing the saw to the man's uses is terribly important. Too small is bad and too large is going to be a permanent backbreaker.
What's he want to do with it?
Limbing small trees and maintenance around the house or felling trees and cutting them up?

If all he's going to do is light work a little Echo might be just the ticket. I've had an echo for better than 15 years and run the hell out of it even after I stopped climbing trees.

HoboDewey

Forum Newbie
Threads
My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Take advice from someone with long term experience with chainsaws. Buy the husqvarna and you will eventually swear at it instead of by it. It may be ok for someone that will only use it a couple times a year but if you are a serious wood cutter buy a Stihl. You won't be sorry. My advice is to buy the smallest, lightest saw for the size of trees you plan to cut. Look at the professional tree cutters. They will be in the air limbing with a stihl saw with a 12 inch blade. You can take my advice now or listen to my "I told you so" later.

Skiguy02920

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take advice from someone with long term experience with chainsaws. Buy the husqvarna and you will eventually swear at it instead of by it. It may be ok for someone that will only use it a couple times a year but if you are a serious wood cutter buy a Stihl. You won't be sorry. My advice is to buy the smallest, lightest saw for the size of trees you plan to cut. Look at the professional tree cutters. They will be in the air limbing with a stihl saw with a 12 inch blade. You can take my advice now or listen to my "I told you so" later.

Take some advice from another who has long term experience with chain saws (well, I guess. If you consider 35 years long term anyway). EITHER the correct size stihl or the correct size husky will serve your dad well....and for a LONG time. I run a ms290 stihl, my neighbor runs husky, and neither of us has had any serious issues over the last 30+. So for me the question should be where is the most reliable, closest dealer, and which brand does he service and sell? neighbor and I both use an outfit that when you walk into the large showroom the entire left side is all husky products while the entire right side is all stihl! Guy candy store city! Buy either and you are good, buy crap like popular or the like and you are screwed.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sharpen when the chips start getting smaller and thinner .

A file.

ETA : A dull chain will overheat and the teeth will lose the temper and not hold a sharp edge.
Also , it is easy to over heat the teeth with an electric grinder ( with the same results ) if you are not very careful .

At least that has been my personal experience. YMMV :smile:

I was always taught the abc or 123.
Fill your fuel, fill your oil and sharpen your chain.
I use a file with holder and sharpen at an angle of 30ー

Skiguy02920

Forum Newbie
Threads
How often does everyone sharpen their chain when using a chainsaw?
Also what do you use to sharpen the chain?

I run a stihl ms290 and bought a file kit for like fifteen bucks to go with it. Every couple of tanks of gas I get out the kit, to which I have added a. Permanent magic marker, and touch up the cutting edges first and then hit the depth teeth with a quick stroke or two. Take ten minutes at most, and makes cutting fast, easy and straight a LOT easier. Ront