Chainsaw opinions?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are three Husqvarna saws in my trailer, a 142/12" bar, a 455/20" bar, and a 390/24" bar. I also keep a 32" bar for the 390 but It is getting too much for me to handle.
I prefer the handling characteristics of Husqvarna saws to Stihl saws.
JMO
Mad Mackie in CT

gabowman

Threads
I have a small Husky...model 44...and it worked HARD for 10+ years as all I heated my house with was wood. I have used it sparingly for the past 10 or so years and this chainsaw has never needed repairing other than things like chain, pull rope, wore out a few bars, etc.

metz12

Threads
i think hes between the 235 and the ms170. i use a husqvarna 345 (yes i found a new one to the ones that know that my old one got a tree dropped on it) and i like it but its too big for what he needs. its kind of a toss up for me too.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Stihl "Wood Boss" and "Farm Boss" were just names they trademarked back in the 1980s, they really don't mean too much.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dad wants a chainsaw. He said he wants a good deal. I'm not sure what size he wants but i'm looking for your guys opinions. I personally like husqvarna stuff but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the best deal but one of the best chainsaw according to pros is the Efco (20") 80.7cc Professional Gas Chain Saw.

MT8200-20_10580_225.jpg

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things to consider when buying a chainsaw:
Age of the operator.
Cutting skill level of the operator.
Type of cutting, (ie, from light trimming to felling and cutting up 100' tall trees).
Mechanical skill level of operator.
Local sales and servicing dealers.
Availability of chains, bars, and chain sharpening.
Just some thoughts.
Everyone wants a "deal" on everything we buy!!!

Natureboy

Threads
First you must consider what is going to be done with the chainsaw. Getting a "good deal" on a Husqvarna 240 will do you no good if you are planning to take down several 30" thick oaks. Can be done, but wouldn't recommend. Buy the best saw you can afford that will do the job you need done!

metz12

Threads
hes in his 40's. hes cut wood all his life and he wants something small for cleanup. also my mom wants one tree cut down because it blocks alot of light where our pool is. I personally think he should go with the husqvarna 240.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Husky 20" has served me well. Many cords of madrone for house heat. Finally it was cutting curves which was fixed with a new drive sprocket. Also replaced pull cord. Always used the manual file jig and am on my second chain. Saw is over ten years old. Original bar.