Motor drag when PTO engaged

afollower

Threads
Hey guys. I have a 2005 Dixon Ram44 with a BS motor. I keep the maintenance up on it the best I know how and have run into this issue which has me a bit stumped. Would appreciate some input.

When I engage the blades the motor rpm drops dramatically to almost stalling but runs, like at idle speed. When disengaged, the motor picks back up and runs at high rpm. I have checked the belts and they are good.

I keep the bearings greased and the deck clean. No bearing noise--or little bearing noise from the deck. I have changed the middle two pulley bearing twice since I purchased the mower seven years ago but have never changed the two outside tower bearings.

I am not familiar with the PTO and how it works and so I wonder if there is maintenance that I should have been doing on it? It's to the point I cannot cut grass as the mower runs so low an rpm when blades engaged as to almost stall. Maybe I'm brain dead but it has to be the deck or the PTO, right? Help me out here. Thanks fellas!

EDIT: I checked the voltage before and after PTO engaged. 14.3v before and 13.9v after. So I think the charging system and the seat kill switch is good. I also checked the resistance at the clutch and it 4.0 ohms--which is good, from what I have read. Am I missing another kill switch somewhere? It's looking like a deck issue to me but I appreciate any help here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by checking to see if the governor is set properly. Post engine numbers.

afollower

Threads
I would start by checking to see if the governor is set properly. Post engine numbers.

Briggs & Stratton
Model: 31Q777
Type: 0110E1
Code: 040303ZD

I hope those are numbers you need. If not, I'll try again. Thanks for the help!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are inclined check the general health of the engine (compression) timing. If you normally pull a trailer or climb hills see if there is a fall off of power there. Perhaps an indication of an engine power problem. Someone else recently mentioned bent spindles/ corroded, dragging spindle bearings.

Jack17

Threads
How does it drive without blades engaged? Can you tell if its slower or about the same? Take it up-hill if you can.

afollower

Threads
How does it drive without blades engaged? Can you tell if its slower or about the same? Take it up-hill if you can.

I thought about this and drove it around the property a bit. No notable difference. It does burn and leak some oil but I keep a close eye on it, so I had the thought of the motor about to take a dump. But can't tell a difference than before when just driving.

afollower

Threads
If you are inclined check the general health of the engine (compression) timing. If you normally pull a trailer or climb hills see if there is a fall off of power there. Perhaps an indication of an engine power problem. Someone else recently mentioned bent spindles/ corroded, dragging spindle bearings.

I've never checked the compression before and not sure I have the tools to do it. Would love to learn though. I did drive it up a couple of hills and there was no noticeable change. Thanks!

What would I need to check the compression?

Jack17

Threads
What would I need to check the compression?

You need a cylinder compression gauge. You can get it in any auto parts store.
Check the deck belt tension. Your unit has manual belt tension adjuster. It isn't a spring-loaded one like you'd normally find on many other mowers...make sure that is not too tight.