Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

• Total voters

aron33mc

Threads
If it's slightly wet it shouldn't hurt it. However cleaning up the equipment afterward is a bitch! Guess that makes it a yes...

Threads
I mow when the grass is wet but only if I get behind, and have too.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
At times in South Alabama if you cut much grass and stay caught up you will have to cut not only wet grass but at times even in the rain. Some times in July and August it rains every day. If you have many yards you either cut it wet or you don't cut it at all. Leaving it alone till it is dry is not an option cause it could be kneed deep or higher before it stops raining long enough to cut it dry.

Threads
At times in South Alabama if you cut much grass and stay caught up you will have to cut not only wet grass but at times even in the rain. Some times in July and August it rains every day. If you have many yards you either cut it wet or you don't cut it at all. Leaving it alone till it is dry is not an option cause it could be kneed deep or higher before it stops raining long enough to cut it dry.

And the longer you wait, the longer it will take the grass to dry, since it will be so tall and thick! :ashamed: Sometimes after a full sunny/hot day the grass might still be damp!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the longer you wait, the longer it will take the grass to dry, since it will be so tall and thick! :ashamed: Sometimes after a full sunny/hot day the grass might still be damp!

Exactly and you run at what ever speed that the mower will cut it. My Kubota is a side discharge and I cut in the rain several times last year. As for getting the grass out I have run it through standing water with the blades in gear. Also one more thing is when you shut it down get the grass off before it has time to dry if that is an option.

Threads
Exactly and you run at what ever speed that the mower will cut it. My Kubota is a side discharge and I cut in the rain several times last year. As for getting the grass out I have run it through standing water with the blades in gear. Also one more thing is when you shut it down get the grass off before it has time to dry if that is an option.

Yes, for my mowers I use a putty knife (since the underside of the deck is a lot smaller than your Kutoba) to get the grass out from under the deck. I try to do it when it's still moist, but it works well when it's dry, also. I used to use the one on the left (see picture), but I bought the one on the right when I bought my Honda HRX and found it works a lot better due to the curved edges.
1.jpg

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, for my mowers I use a putty knife (since the underside of the deck is a lot smaller than your Kutoba) to get the grass out from under the deck. I try to do it when it's still moist, but it works well when it's dry, also. I used to use the one on the left (see picture), but I bought the one on the right when I bought my Honda HRX and found it works a lot better due to the curved edges.
View attachment 12468

If you have it really wet on the Kubota anyway I normally can take a water hose and wash it out pretty easy. Ir it starts off wet in the morning and dries off rapidly during the day then it is harder to get off late in the afternoon or evening with just water pressure.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 12468

Ere are not any rounded surfaces under the Kubota. It is all welded or bolted from flat metal except for the air baffles and they are only rolled not rounded like a stamped deck. I don't believe that a stamped deck would live long for me.

Threads
If you have it really wet on the Kubota anyway I normally can take a water hose and wash it out pretty easy. Ir it starts off wet in the morning and dries off rapidly during the day then it is harder to get off late in the afternoon or evening with just water pressure.

Yeah....I am hesitant to use water, because if you get it in the wrong places it can mess stuff up! :eek:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah....I am hesitant to use water, because if you get it in the wrong places it can mess stuff up! :eek:

After I wash it out I just grease the fittings and letter rip. using a mower under those kind of conditions is brutal but if you don't a lot of years you won't cut much grass cause sometimes it rains everyday for days on end especially during Dog Days.