Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

• Total voters

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I raise my deck up and cut again as fast as the mower will go

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, there are 2 ways to deal with windrows. One is to do what you do and go over the lawn a second time bagging the grass. Or what I do is the second time I go over the lawn I do a wheelie with my front mower tires off the ground. The air from the spinning blades acts as a blower and blows all the grass clippings away. :thumbsup: Of course, I use walk-behinds that you can do wheelies with. If you use lawn tractors I would not recommend trying that! :rolleyes:

Not trying to be sarcastic but why deal with windrows? If you're creating windrows on a lawn you're mowing you're not mowing on an appropriate time schedule and If you're using the right blades you can minimize your grass clippings.
I certainly wouldn't recommend lifting the front wheels of any mower off the ground, that's an accident looking to happen. Kinda defeats the purpose of a discharge chute don't you think? If the mower you're using doesn't cut the grass sufficiently, you need a different type mower.

Threads
Not trying to be sarcastic but why deal with windrows? If you're creating windrows on a lawn you're mowing you're not mowing on an appropriate time schedule and If you're using the right blades you can minimize your grass clippings.
I certainly wouldn't recommend lifting the front wheels of any mower off the ground, that's an accident looking to happen. Kinda defeats the purpose of a discharge chute don't you think? If the mower you're using doesn't cut the grass sufficiently, you need a different type mower.

Well I don't use discharge shoots, I use mulching mowers. And sometimes I have no choice but to cut when the grass is really high. Some people only want it done every 7 days--IN THE SPRING. But Hondas are the best mulching mowers.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ric, "appropriate schedule" ?? I'd love one here in the rainy springtime. Don't you have periods there when it rains daily for weeks? Here we look for a "bonus" day mixed with the rainy ones so most of the wet is evaporated. Remember , in my case I'm working with a Craftsman DYT 4000 and a 3 bagger. I wait until the grass is bending over . If I don't cut into windrows I will not be able to cut with my setup.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, "appropriate schedule" ?? I'd love one here in the rainy springtime. Don't you have periods there when it rains daily for weeks? Here we look for a "bonus" day mixed with the rainy ones so most of the wet is evaporated. Remember , in my case I'm working with a Craftsman DYT 4000 and a 3 bagger. I wait until the grass is bending over . If I don't cut into windrows I will not be able to cut with my setup.

I'd like to have a regular schedule also but here it rains most everyday or at least it seems that way, and you just load up and go anyway. Believe me I know how hard it is to have and stay on a schedule. As far as a mower goes, it's like I said a lot depends on what type of mower you're using and sometimes it's better to discharge instead of mulching if the grass is higher and harder to cut.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I don't use discharge shoots, I use mulching mowers. And sometimes I have no choice but to cut when the grass is really high. Some people only want it done every 7 days--IN THE SPRING. But Hondas are the best mulching mowers.

A general rule of thumb is not to remove more than one-third of the total leaf or height of the grass when mowing your lawn. If you're removing more than that your mowing cycle or schedule should be every four to five days. Removing more than one-third of total leaf or height can severely injure the grass plant by decreasing its ability to support its root system. So you need to let your clients know the possibility of damage if you continue to mow the way you are, or find a mower that will cut the height you need to cut.

Threads
A general rule of thumb is not to remove more than one-third of the total leaf or height of the grass when mowing your lawn. If you're removing more than that your mowing cycle or schedule should be every four to five days. Removing more than one-third of total leaf or height can severely injure the grass plant by decreasing its ability to support its root system. So you need to let your clients know the possibility of damage if you continue to mow the way you are, or find a mower that will cut the height you need to cut.

Yeah, my HRX goes up to 4 inches, but if I kept on only cutting 1/3 of the height off, the grass height would get taller and taller. But next year I will definitely tell them that 7 days is too long! Some people mow twice in 7 days!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, my HRX goes up to 4 inches, but if I kept on only cutting 1/3 of the height off, the grass height would get taller and taller. But next year I will definitely tell them that 7 days is too long! Some people mow twice in 7 days!

What you do is take off 1/3 at a time and mow ever 4 days taking off 1/3 until you get the grass down to the correct height. That way you are not hurting the grass because it has time to acclimate every time you cut, if you try to do it all at once you're just decreasing its ability to support its root system and it will eventually die. The thing is if you have too cut twice in a week do it you accomplish to things, your client will have a healthier lawn and you'll make more money. :smile:

Threads
What you do is take off 1/3 at a time and mow ever 4 days taking off 1/3 until you get the grass down to the correct height. That way you are not hurting the grass because it has time to acclimate every time you cut, if you try to do it all at once you're just decreasing its ability to support its root system and it will eventually die. The thing is if you have too cut twice in a week do it you accomplish to things, your client will have a healthier lawn and you'll make more money. :smile:

Yeah, that's what I will tell them next year (well, not the "and I'll make more money" part), but I will tell them it will be healthier for their lawn.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
See where you live you cut it long to prepare for a frost but where I live we cut it short to stun the grass when the frost hits. It's amazing how things vary in different parts of the country. And thanks for the tips!

We normally mow our from like 2 to 2 1/2 inches unless they have a thick yard then we cut a little higher and we cut ours sort to stun it as we'll but it always grows back :laughing::thumbsup: