Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

Will you mow when the grass is slightly wet?

• Total voters

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree when you cut it when its wet it doesnt slice the grass it just wacks it down

I agree it cuts better when dry, but when you don't have the choice and you have to cut wet doing it the right way can save you a lot of time and problems.

Elias40

Threads
I try and avoid cutting wet grass with a push mower. You have to worry about sure footing- the same as mowing around fruit bearing trees- a slip in the wrong direction and no matter if you are wearing the best boots available, if you come in contact with the blade, end up with a broken foot, or amputated foot parts.

I have seen people- women and children especially, go out in flip flops or barefoot- and boy are they asking for it! Guess hey are not conscious about what's flying around underneath the deck (out of sight, out of mind).

Threads
I try and avoid cutting wet grass with a push mower. You have to worry about sure footing- the same as mowing around fruit bearing trees- a slip in the wrong direction and no matter if you are wearing the best boots available, if you come in contact with the blade, end up with a broken foot, or amputated foot parts.

I have seen people- women and children especially, go out in flip flops or barefoot- and boy are they asking for it! Guess hey are not conscious about what's flying around underneath the deck (out of sight, out of mind).

Yes, I am very careful under this walnut tree in one of my customers yards. It drops tons of walnuts on the ground and I almost fall sometimes! See this thread about it: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/lawn-care-landscaping/12065-i-like-most-trees.html.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, it does make a better cut when its dry. but if you need to like if you have a bunch of jobs and you need to start early then its better to go slow if the grass is wet. sometimes if its really soaked ill blow some of it with my leafblower and that makes it a little easier to work with.

Spring here is wet with rain almost daily until June which is frustrating as the grass gets longer and longer. I wait until it starts to droop with weight. Usually I must cut at least once while grass is wet. The 3 bagger clogs bad so I resort to side discharge with winrows laying all about and killing the grass. Finally the warm day appears that dries the winrows and the grass. The loads bagged on that day are not fun . I estimate at 1500 lbs - 1-1/2 acres. I feel pretty good about the much maligned Craftsman Intek after such a day. The next door neighbor has pro's do his lawn and they winrow a lot. Don't know what rigs they're running.

Threads
Spring here is wet with rain almost daily until June which is frustrating as the grass gets longer and longer. I wait until it starts to droop with weight. Usually I must cut at least once while grass is wet. The 3 bagger clogs bad so I resort to side discharge with winrows laying all about and killing the grass. Finally the warm day appears that dries the winrows and the grass. The loads bagged on that day are not fun . I estimate at 1500 lbs - 1-1/2 acres. I feel pretty good about the much maligned Craftsman Intek after such a day. The next door neighbor has pro's do his lawn and they winrow a lot. Don't know what rigs they're running.

I had a Billy Goat HomePro 34 mower for a couple weeks and I REALLY didn't like it because it would clump REALLY bad (which is I guess what you are calling winrows).

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Billy Goat HomePro 34 mower for a couple weeks and I REALLY didn't like it because it would clump REALLY bad (which is I guess what you are calling winrows).

I had to reach way back for the word "winrow" and very surprised it's not in my dictionary . Maybe i'm spelling wrong. As a kid visiting relatives in Kansas that is what they called the long rows of alf-alfa cut on the ground ready for bailing.

Last edited:
Threads
I had to reach way back for the word "winrow" and very surprised it's not in my dictionary . Maybe i'm spelling wrong. As a kid visiting relatives in Kansas that is what they called the long rows of alf-alfa cut on the ground ready for bailing.

I think it has a "D" in it--WINDROW. Because when I search WINDROW pics of what you are talking about come up, but nothing when I search WINROW.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it has a "D" in it--WINDROW. Because when I search WINDROW pics of what you are talking about come up, but nothing when I search WINROW.

Thanks Mr Fanatic. I found it in Webster's like you said. Anyway the "windrows" of grass kill their kin 'til they are bagged. When mowing this mess with new long grass it's really two mowings. PS , the windrows are deposits kicked out the side chute as you mow.

Threads
Thanks Mr Fanatic I found it in Webster's like you said. Anyway the "windrows" of grass kill their kin 'til they are bagged. When mowing this mess with new long grass it's really two mowings.

Yeah, there are 2 ways to deal with windrows. One is to do what you do and go over the lawn a second time bagging the grass. Or what I do is the second time I go over the lawn I do a wheelie with my front mower tires off the ground. The air from the spinning blades acts as a blower and blows all the grass clippings away. :thumbsup: Of course, I use walk-behinds that you can do wheelies with. If you use lawn tractors I would not recommend trying that! :rolleyes: