Whats up with ads on posts here?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Haha, what a thread! It's great to hear what you guys think about ads and the site in general. We love considering how to make LMF the most enjoyable experience possible. @Twall, your description of credit card radio ads is hilarious :laughing: and @Two-Stroke I enjoy your objective look at advertising in general.

Like Muhammad said, we are still in the early stages of displaying advertising on this website, so your understanding is appreciated, but Indypower, I sure hope you might be able to find an internet browser that does not cause the ads to overlap the post text! I'm sorry you have had that issue. :thumbdown:

Anyways, thanks again for your feedback and remember that as KennyV said, the ads allow us to continue to provide this (hopefully, friendly and enjoyable :smile:) community for you all.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Haha, what a thread! It's great to hear what you guys think about ads and the site in general. We love considering how to make LMF the most enjoyable experience possible. @Twall, your description of credit card radio ads is hilarious :laughing: and @Two-Stroke I enjoy your objective look at advertising in general.

Like Muhammad said, we are still in the early stages of displaying advertising on this website, so your understanding is appreciated, but Indypower, I sure hope you might be able to find an internet browser that does not cause the ads to overlap the post text! I'm sorry you have had that issue. :thumbdown:

Anyways, thanks again for your feedback and remember that as KennyV said, the ads allow us to continue to provide this (hopefully, friendly and enjoyable :smile:) community for you all.

In case anybody has noticed my continued departure from LMF, I must admit the ADS HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH THAT.....:mad::thumbdown:

The ads were not, repeat, WERE NOT required to continue this (hopefully, friendly and enjoyable :smile:) community for us all, for the better part of a year. Which is why I FORMERLY enjoyed LMF so much...not so now.

Slater

Threads
In case anybody has noticed my continued departure from LMF, I must admit the ADS HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH THAT.....:mad::thumbdown:

The ads were not, repeat, WERE NOT required to continue this (hopefully, friendly and enjoyable :smile:) community for us all, for the better part of a year. Which is why I FORMERLY enjoyed LMF so much...not so now.

Maybe because it's because I am used to seeing ads everywhere, but quite honestly the ads on here are VERY minimal and a lot less intrusive than other sites, I actually can't believe how minimal they have kept it. Overall this site is very clean and easy on the eyes IMO. If they continue to bother you, I would suggest downloading Firefox 4 and install AdBlock, then we can remain an enjoyable community where people don't leave because of a few ads that allow LMF to host a wonderful free website for the community. :thumbsup: I/we don't want to see you go JD :frown:

mystreba

Threads
Mute, Mute. Delete, Delete. Ignore, Ignore.

Complaining about advertisements is like complaining about your kids. Sure they're a pain in the ar$e. Sure they're loud and intrusive and constantly want your attention. Sure they interrupt you all the time, and drone on and on with stories that make your eyes glaze over. And sure they're eventually going to cost you a lot of money. But sometimes they're useful and even downright funny.

Trust me, neither one of them is going anywhere. So you may as well get used to it.

crying-tears.gif

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads

I honestly thought you were busy outside....the weather has gotten nicer......and you said when it did so, you wouldn't be on here near as much....and you HAVE had an issue with your eyes....you made that plain.

I personally miss you, and if you're making a statement....well, around here, you gotta actually MAKE the satement.......I hate ads as well, but I like being here...and if the flash crud continued, I would've left, too....but I woulda made a huge stink before I left.

Muhammad (and Briana) have said they are trying out ads......be patient. They hear us when we don't like (or won't tolerate) what they try. We gotta be here to let them know if it's acceptable or not. Just leaving isn't the answer, JD........

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mute, Mute. Delete, Delete. Ignore, Ignore.

Complaining about advertisements is like complaining about your kids. Sure they're a pain in the ar$e. Sure they're loud and intrusive and constantly want your attention. Sure they interrupt you all the time, and drone on and on with stories that make your eyes glaze over. And sure they're eventually going to cost you a lot of money. But sometimes they're useful and even downright funny.

Trust me, neither one of them is going anywhere. So you may as well get used to it.

That ain't the answer, either....that's like saying "just take what the politicians give you, cause it'll never change." that's just BS! If we don't complain when we don't like a change, it'll be assumed that the change is just fine with us.

Big thumbsdown, mystreba.........:thumbdown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slater says MINIMAL AD CONTENT on LMF? He is joking. Ads here are very irritating and much too visible...and has there ever been a study about what percentage of viewers that see online ads actually follow up on them? HAHAHA. What such ads do is actually REPEL ME, making me even less likely to have any interest in what the online ad featured. I was actually thinking about buying a new yard tractor, but the ads here featuring Cub Cadet actually make me DETEST the brand in general. I truthfully wonder why ANYBODY is gullible enough to be sucked in by advertising....:thumbdown::thumbdown:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slater says MINIMAL AD CONTENT on LMF? He is joking. Ads here are very irritating and much too visible...and has there ever been a study about what percentage of viewers that see online ads actually follow up on them? HAHAHA. What such ads do is actually REPEL ME, making me even less likely to have any interest in what the online ad featured. I was actually thinking about buying a new yard tractor, but the ads here featuring Cub Cadet actually make me DETEST the brand in general. I truthfully wonder why ANYBODY is gullible enough to be sucked in by advertising....:thumbdown::thumbdown:

JD, those ads were the flash version of the text ads. They displayed thread-specific ads (most of the time). What I hated is they slowed down my speed on the site, and they seemed to mess with the LMF app. Now they're gone......(and they ARE gone, JD).....things are back to normal. Because IIIIIII said something, and didn't just try a 'peaceful protest'. I started a thread about those miserable ads. Didn't you see it? Within an HOUR, the ads were gone, and back to text ads.

I can't back you up here, man. You gotta b!tch, too. I can't be the only a$$hole here......:laughing:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Right now we are back to the same ad spots we have had since August. That is, for registered users. We run one ad that only displays for unregistered users.

The reality is that we do have to generate revenue from the forum to pay for the expenses of running it. I think the amount of ads we have on the forum is reasonable. In fact, we're about as close to "ad-free" as a website can get without actually being ad free. We've changed ad formats and removed ads based on the feedback we received and will continue to take member feedback into account with regards to the ads on the site.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right now we are back to the same ad spots we have had since August. That is, for registered users. We run one ad that only displays for unregistered users.

The reality is that we do have to generate revenue from the forum to pay for the expenses of running it. I think the amount of ads we have on the forum is reasonable. In fact, we're about as close to "ad-free" as a website can get without actually being ad free. We've changed ad formats and removed ads based on the feedback we received and will continue to take member feedback into account with regards to the ads on the site.

I thank you for being responsive. Like I said, I'd had it with the 'graphic' google ads. I was ready to leave, because the site was so slow. I was gonna go where the site was as slow, but more members, and thusly, more discussion. But, you listened. Kudos!!! :thumbsup: LMF app is back to the great speed I posted on the review........as of last week, I was sorry for recommending it....:frown: It was TERRIBLE as far as speed - sometimes, it'd downright lock up. I thought it was just me, so I said nothing. My mistake. The ads changed your server somehow, and the LMF app was really suffering as a result. Now, since you went back to text ads, it's like it was. The same day. I uninstalled and re-installed the LMF app, tried everything, and it would still freeze up. Not a freeze since you removed the flash ads......or did you do something else? :confused: