Whats up with ads on posts here?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a very valid point. There are loads of things that I wouldn't even be aware of if it wasn't for the adverts. I admit that a few annoy me but, in the main, I'm all for them.

"A few annoy you"....boy, you have a LOT more tolerance than this old fart does...are you telling me the commercial breaks on television don't tick you off? Those ugly billboards alongside the roads don't bother you? The radio jingles and loud irritating blurbs telling you to "BUY, BUY, BUY" this product or that product are just background music...?

I have seen a few really good, well written TV commercials, such as the kid in the back of the car who urges his dad to splurge for the deluxe drive thru car wash because the kid hopes to inherit the car some day...but 99% of commercials, to me, are just a source of irritation. As twall says, probably a lot of the people enduring them will go out of their way NOT to do business with the advertiser.

While I am ranting here, has anybody noticed that on local tv commercials, where you have merchants hawking car repairs, basement waterproofing, plumbing repairs, etc. 99% of the time as the commercial winds down, the mechanic, basement fixer, plumber,etc is seen shaking hands with the fish, oops, prospective customer. It's such a farce it almost makes me laugh..."TRUST US, OUR HANDSHAKE HERE MEANS WE ARE HONEST"....YEAH RIGHT....:laughing::laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
....or at the end of an ad not worth airing compressing all 3 minutes of spoken 'fine print' into 5 seconds?

All you get is "hibbity hibbity hibbity........" and what they're telling you is that this ad doesn't really mean a thing? :laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as good radio ads, they come along once in awhile.....you notice they hardly EVER play them? I can't get enough of Budweiser's "Real American Heros".....and you rarely ever hear them.

That time is reserved for "Is your credit card crediting your credit with BAD credit? Well call us (times 1&2 for phone#) to credit your credit with GOOD credit card crediting......Because we at (times 3&4 for phone#) are Credit card creditors! Don't listen to the other ads saying they can credit your credit card with good credit! Just call us now at (times 5&6) thats (times 7&8)" AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!! :mur:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's another way to look look at it: How advertising works interests me in a similar way to how an engine works.

I listen to a fair amount of radio while I'm working around the house or walking my dog. Instead of allowing myself to get annoyed by an ad, I try to figure out how that ad is intended to operate: Who is targeted? What are they selling -- or are they just developing brand recognition? Why will this ad work -- or will it fail (cost more than it produces in revenue)?

Internet ads are more complex since they can be precisely targeted and the science behind them is still in an early stage.

The only ads that really annoy me are the ones that are clearly intended to mislead the consumer.:mad: A good example: radio ads hawking gold as an investment.

We need ads on websites like this one -- I can't see how it would work any other way.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
.....The only ads that really annoy me are the ones that are clearly intended to mislead the consumer.:mad: A good example: radio ads hawking gold as an investment.

.....Or advertising 'get out of debt' "services". Many of them are just an arm of the credit card companies, anyhow.......just another way to harass you to pay (whether you can or not) the bill.

....We need ads on websites like this one -- I can't see how it would work any other way.

I personally like the [small link style] Google ads....but not the popup flash kind like this thread was started about. If you'll notice, once a thread is started, there are ads at the top of the page (text links) that focus in on keywords in that thread....and I've clicked on several. Not at all obtrusive, and many times handy (or at least interesting). The flash ads, on the other hand, I found obnoxious and wouldn't click on them in a zillion years - just the annoyed reflex kicking in. :smile:

ATTN: Muhammad

Yes, i click on the Google ads [links] at the top of the threads! (quite often, actually)

Last edited:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
.....Or advertising 'get out of debt' "services". Many of them are just an arm of the credit card companies, anyhow.......just another way to harass you to pay (whether you can or not) the bill.

I personally like the [small link style] ads....but not the popup flash kind like this thread was started about. If you'll notice, once a thread is started, there are ads at the top of the page (text links) that focus in on keywords in that thread....and I've clicked on several. Not at all obtrusive, and many times handy (or at least interesting). The flash ads, on the other hand, I found obnoxious and wouldn't click on them in a zillion years - just the annoyed reflex kicking in. :smile:

ATTN: Muhammad

Yes, i click on the ads [links] at the top of the threads! (quite often, actually)

I agree about the credit repair ads -- they're almost always misleading.

I find flash content -- almost all of it and not just ads -- annoying and wasteful in more ways than one. I mentioned Flashblock for Firefox earlier in this thread -- it's a free add-on -- try it.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree about the credit repair ads -- they're almost always misleading.

I find flash content -- almost all of it and not just ads -- annoying and wasteful in more ways than one. I mentioned Flashblock for Firefox earlier in this thread -- it's a free add-on -- try it.

Opera has it, too.......I pesonally liked Opera. But, I can get neither Mozilla nor Opera for 64-bit Win 7....:frown:

I've looked all over. Nothing but patches to make the browser act in a 32-bit environment. Fooey!:mad:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Advertising is:

Intended to make you want and buy stuff you don't need, with money you don't have, in the vain attempt to impress people who don't care...

My primary vehicle is an 11 year old truck, that I maintain and repair myself. My home is a remodeled and enlarged 60 year old kit house, that I maintain and repair myself. My clothing is pretty much a mix of items from Goodwill, VOA, and the Salvation Army. Rather than waste money dining out or visiting fast food places, I do most of the meal preparation here. When we do buy something, it is carefully researched and purchased where we get the best price/service combination.

We are not, and never will be, impulse buyers, slaves to fashion, or careless with money. To me, most advertising flies in the face of our principles, and that's why I hate it so much. When I read about all the foreclosures, etc. that happen across the nation, it always makes me wonder how much advertising, which makes many consumers want things they didn't need, or have the money to pay for, contributed to the foreclosures and bankruptcies that are so commonplace today.

End of subject, for me anyhow. Thanks for letting me have my say.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
.....and i actually agreed with him this time......:wink:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Opera has it, too.......I pesonally liked Opera. But, I can get neither Mozilla nor Opera for 64-bit Win 7....:frown:

I am running Mozilla Fire Fox 3.6.15 on my HP 64 bit Windows7... It works great and allows me to use the sync addon that the new Fire Fox 4 did not allow... :smile:KennyV