Rant About New Members Section Content...

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
On a more serious note, we previously had a link to post in the new member forum immediately after members registered. I have removed that link and we now direct people to the main forum page in an effort to get new members to choose a section more relevant to their thread topic. Hopefully this will cut down on some of the posts in the new members forum that shouldn't be there.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
On a more serious note, we previously had a link to post in the new member forum immediately after members registered. I have removed that link and we now direct people to the main forum page in an effort to get new members to choose a section more relevant to their thread topic. Hopefully this will cut down on some of the posts in the new members forum that shouldn't be there.
That should help a bit, but maybe you could put a notice in the New Members section saying "Please don't post lawn mower questions in here" or something ?

That way they would have no excuse.

Oddball

Threads
It might help if under the forum heading New Members , where it says New to the site? Etc ... If it would say something like " This is for introductions only. If you have questions, please post them in the appropriate forum and not here."

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It might help if under the forum heading New Members , where it says New to the site? Etc ... If it would say something like " This is for introductions only. If you have questions, please post them in the appropriate forum and not here."
Exactly :thumbsup:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I'm new (just born) :eek: !
I need some help with ..... {figuring out where to post things} !

Introduce your self and THEN -----
Look around a little and figure out where to ask your question !

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I'm new (just born) :eek: !
I need some help with ..... {figuring out where to post things} !

Introduce your self and THEN -----
Look around a little and figure out where to ask your question !

What is the newbies have lousy vision like mine and can't see where to ask?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Guys,

You'll notice the out of place threads in the New Member Forum have almost completely diminished since Muhammad changed the redirect. Yay!

Thanks Muhammad!

Oh, and P.S. I moved this thread to the Site Discussion forum. Simply for organizational purposes. :wink:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
What is the newbies have lousy vision like mine and can't see where to ask?
What about a vocal notice then ?

"Don't post questions in the New Members section - If you do, I will come and beat the **** out of you"

Just repeat that through their speakers on a loop :laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
This has always been a gripe of mine. I had more sympathy for the n00bs when I found out the way the registration process was set up to make a newbie think that there was nothing more to the forum, or one needed a postcount to be met first to post anywhere other than the newbie section.

HOWEVER, if you are is such a rotten hurry for an answer to a question you can't even LOOK to see there is more to the site, I tend to think the search function was also not used to look for an answer to a question that has probably been asked a million stinkin times.

That denotes laziness, and that makes me irate. If you don't like it, too stinkin bad. :biggrin:

Thanks, Muhammad, for changing the way it works - now there is no excuse to not look at the rest of the site. :thumbsup: