New Tractor

mystreba

Threads
Hey all -

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and input over the last few weeks as I searched for a tractor. I really wanted to buy a good used tractor in order to get more for my money, but I found it a very difficult way to go - lots of research, driving around, anxiety. I finally had my sights set on a new JD X320 54", which I had planned to purchase from the local dealer this morning. But my brother - who, unbeknownst to me, used to have one of these machines - talked me out of that tractor and instead talked me into a trip next week to Orange, VA. where they apparently have three large tractor dealers in the space of one sq. mile.

But I threw all caution to the wind this morning, drove to Sears and bought a new Craftsman PGT9000 - normally $3700 on sale for $2700. B&S 28 HP. I also bought the 3-year full warranty deal where they come to your house and fix your tractor no matter what goes wrong. Plus an implement or two. Grand total was almost $1k less than I'd budgeted, which leaves me room to put some nice new rubber under my truck.

I know most here will cringe at the thought of buying the additional warranty, but for me I just don't have the time to fool around fixing the tractor and I can't afford the 4 weeks of downtime to haul it off to a repair shop either. Plus the kid was earnest, seemed to have done his homework and deserved the little bonus they get when they sell those packages.

Delivery Monday. Will post an update then...

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey all -

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and input over the last few weeks as I searched for a tractor. I really wanted to buy a good used tractor in order to get more for my money, but I found it a very difficult way to go - lots of research, driving around, anxiety. I finally had my sights set on a new JD X320 54", which I had planned to purchase from the local dealer this morning. But my brother - who, unbeknownst to me, used to have one of these machines - talked me out of that tractor and instead talked me into a trip next week to Orange, VA. where they apparently have three large tractor dealers in the space of one sq. mile.

But I threw all caution to the wind this morning, drove to Sears and bought a new Craftsman PGT9000 - normally $3700 on sale for $2700. B&S 28 HP. I also bought the 3-year full warranty deal where they come to your house and fix your tractor no matter what goes wrong. Plus an implement or two. Grand total was almost $1k less than I'd budgeted, which leaves me room to put some nice new rubber under my truck.

I know most here will cringe at the thought of buying the additional warranty, but for me I just don't have the time to fool around fixing the tractor and I can't afford the 4 weeks of downtime to haul it off to a repair shop either. Plus the kid was earnest, seemed to have done his homework and deserved the little bonus they get when they sell those packages.

Delivery Monday. Will post an update then...
Hope update will be with pics.:biggrin:

mystreba

Threads
Here she is - delivered this morning. I bought it sight unseen, and I'm happy to report that it's everything I'd hoped and more. It is far more heavy-duty than I'd anticipated. The seat puts you up very high and gives it that tractor feel.

I know there are some problems. First, the gas tank is located under the hood, and I've read complaints that it can somehow leak gas onto your left foot while running. I haven't seen it happen yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

The deck pulleys are made of plastic, and people have reported that they throw the pulley cables off easily. I think Sears saved $.05 by going with plastic on these, which I'm sure is paying off for them BIG TIME. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can replace them with metal pulleys at some point.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier. I'll report back as soon as I have an opportunity to do battle with the lawn. For now, it's still fairly dormant and in rough winter shape.

Attachments

• IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4850.JPG
    IMG_4850.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4851.JPG
    IMG_4851.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4852.JPG
    IMG_4852.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 65

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here she is - delivered this morning. I bought it sight unseen, and I'm happy to report that it's everything I'd hoped and more. It is far more heavy-duty than I'd anticipated. The seat puts you up very high and gives it that tractor feel.

I know there are some problems. First, the gas tank is located under the hood, and I've read complaints that it can somehow leak gas onto your left foot while running. I haven't seen it happen yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

The deck pulleys are made of plastic, and people have reported that they throw the pulley cables off easily. I think Sears saved $.05 by going with plastic on these, which I'm sure is paying off for them BIG TIME. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can replace them with metal pulleys at some point.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier. I'll report back as soon as I have an opportunity to do battle with the lawn. For now, it's still fairly dormant and in rough winter shape.
Nice machine:thumbsup:, looks to be made better then my mothers Craftman. Hope you have little problems with it.:biggrin:

Jetblast

Threads
That's a nice price for a big lawn tractor with a serviceable hydro w/spin-on filter. I looked at that model recently and the plastic deck lift pulleys didn't seem like a big deal to me either. Someone on a forum somewhere described replacing them with metal pulleys like you mentioned, but with any luck you'll be one of those people who never has a problem with them. Congratulations.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, that's a hefty lookin machine! :eek:

Is that the Craftsman 'Pro' series?

mystreba

Threads
Wow, that's a hefty lookin machine! :eek:

Is that the Craftsman 'Pro' series?

Yes, it's the PGT 9000 - Pro Garden Tractor. The 9500 is almost twice the cost. I'm headed out to mow the field - we'll see how it goes...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW doesn't look like any Craftsman GT I have ever seen, looks TUFF to me. Congrats on the new toy and I bet your pics made a LOT of guys here on LMF envious...me for sure. Hope the test drive gave you a thrill and bet you have this huge, silly grin plastered on your face. Congrats again, and enjoy yourself.

mystreba

Threads
WOW doesn't look like any Craftsman GT I have ever seen, looks TUFF to me. Congrats on the new toy and I bet your pics made a LOT of guys here on LMF envious...me for sure. Hope the test drive gave you a thrill and bet you have this huge, silly grin plastered on your face. Congrats again, and enjoy yourself.

I used to think my old Craftsman GT5000 was tough, but there is no comparison. The 28HP V-twin is brutal. I just mowed my back field - 3/4 acre of thick, clumpy field grass, about 7" high. Full of leaves from last fall as well. The tractor ran it down in about 25 minutes with no issues. And I mow inside-out in order to drive the clippings to the outer edges so I don't have to rake. So it literally had to cut and then push the entire field of grass - no problems whatsoever.

It was doing so well that I took a couple of passes through the no-man's land where I generally don't mow. Tall, clumpy straw and thick grass matted down by the deer. I didn't even have to slow down.

I really like the side discharge hood because it's short. This allows the blades to throw the clippings - about 8-10 feet! I also like the arm-rests and the height of the seat. Very, very comfortable.

Two nits. One is that it seems a bit thirsty. Two is that I had to let it sit to run back to the house and get the gas can (I hadn't put much in when it was delivered). After filling it I cranked it back up and a rather large puff of white smoke came out. Is that normal for a new engine? I'll have to keep my eye on that. Not worried though 'cuz of that 100% in-home repair warranty.

RTSB

Threads
I hope this works out for you. It didn't for my neighbor he bought a sears 3 years ago for $3400. It cuts grass alright, he started having problems when he started borrowing my ground engagement attachments. He cooked the hydro unit and his warranty would not cover it. If you use it for what it was built for you might be OK. As far as you saving any money you'll see in 3-4 years what you saved.
Good luck.