Export thread

New Tractor

mystreba

mystreba

Hey all -

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and input over the last few weeks as I searched for a tractor. I really wanted to buy a good used tractor in order to get more for my money, but I found it a very difficult way to go - lots of research, driving around, anxiety. I finally had my sights set on a new JD X320 54", which I had planned to purchase from the local dealer this morning. But my brother - who, unbeknownst to me, used to have one of these machines - talked me out of that tractor and instead talked me into a trip next week to Orange, VA. where they apparently have three large tractor dealers in the space of one sq. mile.

But I threw all caution to the wind this morning, drove to Sears and bought a new Craftsman PGT9000 - normally $3700 on sale for $2700. B&S 28 HP. I also bought the 3-year full warranty deal where they come to your house and fix your tractor no matter what goes wrong. Plus an implement or two. Grand total was almost $1k less than I'd budgeted, which leaves me room to put some nice new rubber under my truck.

I know most here will cringe at the thought of buying the additional warranty, but for me I just don't have the time to fool around fixing the tractor and I can't afford the 4 weeks of downtime to haul it off to a repair shop either. Plus the kid was earnest, seemed to have done his homework and deserved the little bonus they get when they sell those packages.

Delivery Monday. Will post an update then...

bakerg

bakerg

Hey all -

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and input over the last few weeks as I searched for a tractor. I really wanted to buy a good used tractor in order to get more for my money, but I found it a very difficult way to go - lots of research, driving around, anxiety. I finally had my sights set on a new JD X320 54", which I had planned to purchase from the local dealer this morning. But my brother - who, unbeknownst to me, used to have one of these machines - talked me out of that tractor and instead talked me into a trip next week to Orange, VA. where they apparently have three large tractor dealers in the space of one sq. mile.

But I threw all caution to the wind this morning, drove to Sears and bought a new Craftsman PGT9000 - normally $3700 on sale for $2700. B&S 28 HP. I also bought the 3-year full warranty deal where they come to your house and fix your tractor no matter what goes wrong. Plus an implement or two. Grand total was almost $1k less than I'd budgeted, which leaves me room to put some nice new rubber under my truck.

I know most here will cringe at the thought of buying the additional warranty, but for me I just don't have the time to fool around fixing the tractor and I can't afford the 4 weeks of downtime to haul it off to a repair shop either. Plus the kid was earnest, seemed to have done his homework and deserved the little bonus they get when they sell those packages.

Delivery Monday. Will post an update then...
Hope update will be with pics.:biggrin:

mystreba

mystreba

Here she is - delivered this morning. I bought it sight unseen, and I'm happy to report that it's everything I'd hoped and more. It is far more heavy-duty than I'd anticipated. The seat puts you up very high and gives it that tractor feel.

I know there are some problems. First, the gas tank is located under the hood, and I've read complaints that it can somehow leak gas onto your left foot while running. I haven't seen it happen yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

The deck pulleys are made of plastic, and people have reported that they throw the pulley cables off easily. I think Sears saved $.05 by going with plastic on these, which I'm sure is paying off for them BIG TIME. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can replace them with metal pulleys at some point.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier. I'll report back as soon as I have an opportunity to do battle with the lawn. For now, it's still fairly dormant and in rough winter shape.

Attachments

bakerg

bakerg

Here she is - delivered this morning. I bought it sight unseen, and I'm happy to report that it's everything I'd hoped and more. It is far more heavy-duty than I'd anticipated. The seat puts you up very high and gives it that tractor feel.

I know there are some problems. First, the gas tank is located under the hood, and I've read complaints that it can somehow leak gas onto your left foot while running. I haven't seen it happen yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

The deck pulleys are made of plastic, and people have reported that they throw the pulley cables off easily. I think Sears saved $.05 by going with plastic on these, which I'm sure is paying off for them BIG TIME. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can replace them with metal pulleys at some point.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier. I'll report back as soon as I have an opportunity to do battle with the lawn. For now, it's still fairly dormant and in rough winter shape.
Nice machine:thumbsup:, looks to be made better then my mothers Craftman. Hope you have little problems with it.:biggrin:

Jetblast

Jetblast

That's a nice price for a big lawn tractor with a serviceable hydro w/spin-on filter. I looked at that model recently and the plastic deck lift pulleys didn't seem like a big deal to me either. Someone on a forum somewhere described replacing them with metal pulleys like you mentioned, but with any luck you'll be one of those people who never has a problem with them. Congratulations.

twall

twall

Wow, that's a hefty lookin machine! :eek:

Is that the Craftsman 'Pro' series?

mystreba

mystreba

Wow, that's a hefty lookin machine! :eek:

Is that the Craftsman 'Pro' series?

Yes, it's the PGT 9000 - Pro Garden Tractor. The 9500 is almost twice the cost. I'm headed out to mow the field - we'll see how it goes...

JDgreen

JDgreen

WOW doesn't look like any Craftsman GT I have ever seen, looks TUFF to me. Congrats on the new toy and I bet your pics made a LOT of guys here on LMF envious...me for sure. Hope the test drive gave you a thrill and bet you have this huge, silly grin plastered on your face. Congrats again, and enjoy yourself.

mystreba

mystreba

WOW doesn't look like any Craftsman GT I have ever seen, looks TUFF to me. Congrats on the new toy and I bet your pics made a LOT of guys here on LMF envious...me for sure. Hope the test drive gave you a thrill and bet you have this huge, silly grin plastered on your face. Congrats again, and enjoy yourself.

I used to think my old Craftsman GT5000 was tough, but there is no comparison. The 28HP V-twin is brutal. I just mowed my back field - 3/4 acre of thick, clumpy field grass, about 7" high. Full of leaves from last fall as well. The tractor ran it down in about 25 minutes with no issues. And I mow inside-out in order to drive the clippings to the outer edges so I don't have to rake. So it literally had to cut and then push the entire field of grass - no problems whatsoever.

It was doing so well that I took a couple of passes through the no-man's land where I generally don't mow. Tall, clumpy straw and thick grass matted down by the deer. I didn't even have to slow down.

I really like the side discharge hood because it's short. This allows the blades to throw the clippings - about 8-10 feet! I also like the arm-rests and the height of the seat. Very, very comfortable.

Two nits. One is that it seems a bit thirsty. Two is that I had to let it sit to run back to the house and get the gas can (I hadn't put much in when it was delivered). After filling it I cranked it back up and a rather large puff of white smoke came out. Is that normal for a new engine? I'll have to keep my eye on that. Not worried though 'cuz of that 100% in-home repair warranty.

RTSB

RTSB

I hope this works out for you. It didn't for my neighbor he bought a sears 3 years ago for $3400. It cuts grass alright, he started having problems when he started borrowing my ground engagement attachments. He cooked the hydro unit and his warranty would not cover it. If you use it for what it was built for you might be OK. As far as you saving any money you'll see in 3-4 years what you saved.
Good luck.

mystreba

mystreba

I hope this works out for you. It didn't for my neighbor he bought a sears 3 years ago for $3400. It cuts grass alright, he started having problems when he started borrowing my ground engagement attachments. He cooked the hydro unit and his warranty would not cover it. If you use it for what it was built for you might be OK. As far as you saving any money you'll see in 3-4 years what you saved.
Good luck.

This is definitely not a lifetime tractor, so I'm not laboring under any delusions. Any tractor can fail, especially if you push it beyond it's intended limits. But yes, as you say time will tell. In 5 years I hope to be sipping horchata somewhere in Costa Rica. (well ok, maybe I do labor under a delusion or two)

Post-script - the tractor has a really tight turning radius, and it cuts very evenly. The roller system keeps the deck nice and level. And the oil-change tube is freaking BRILLIANT (see attached).

Attachments

twall

twall

That tube IS cool! I'll bet I could rig something up simmilar on my tractor.........:cool:

Jetblast

Jetblast

And the oil-change tube is freaking BRILLIANT (see attached).

Yes it is. I saw something similar on my new mower and nearly fell over. Oil changes on my old Cub Cadet used to mean pressing a clear plastic tube onto a dicey quick turn valve, which on paper looked great, but often led to an epic oil spill disaster and the loss of all sea life within a 10 mile radius.

She's a zippy looking machine. Glad to hear that it's bite is as bad as it's bark.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

Nice ride! Those V-twins seem to be real torque monsters. I like that a lot of the manufacturers are spending a couple of extra bucks to make the oil changes possible. The last JD my Mom had and the DR feild and Brush mower I had were both V-twins with extended oil drains. Happy mowing.

CajunCub

CajunCub

mystreba, that is a sweet mower! I looked at that one before I bought my CC....You have got a really good machine. Do you know that picture of the side of your engine shows an oil cooler? That mower will last you a long time if you maintain it correctly. Good Choise!:thumbsup:

mystreba

mystreba

mystreba, that is a sweet mower! I looked at that one before I bought my CC....You have got a really good machine. Do you know that picture of the side of your engine shows an oil cooler? That mower will last you a long time if you maintain it correctly. Good Choise!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Your new Cub is damn sweet also - I think our machines share about 90% of the parts (minus the engines). Same frame for sure.

I don't know that much about small engines, but I'm learning by hanging around all the smart people here. In fact, I didn't even know my mower had an oil cooler - thanks for pointing that out! I researched the GT6000, and went into Sears to buy one. At the last minute as the guy was ringing me up I noticed the PGT9000 was also on sale at only $100 more, and I bought it instead - sight unseen. I am so glad I did. Just the feel of it alone over the GT6000 is night and day. I hope you're right that it will last - at least a few years until I conquer this property and get the h*#% out! Time will tell. Cheers!

F

fastback

Just a question. Many of the newer tractors indicate that they have reserve fuel, what about this one?

I also looked at this unit the price seemed good for a heavy duty tractor. I can't remember who makes this one I don't think its Husqavana. I was turned off by the plastic pullys I think this is something that Sears should have already addressed. Who knows, I ordered a Husq with a 52 inch fabricated deck on March 22 and it still is not in yet. If it doesn't get hear soon I may turn to the 9000, but the only problemis the price may be back up. Oh well.. Good luck with the new machine sounds like it will get the job done.

mystreba

mystreba

Just a question. Many of the newer tractors indicate that they have reserve fuel, what about this one?

I also looked at this unit the price seemed good for a heavy duty tractor. I can't remember who makes this one I don't think its Husqavana. I was turned off by the plastic pullys I think this is something that Sears should have already addressed. Who knows, I ordered a Husq with a 52 inch fabricated deck on March 22 and it still is not in yet. If it doesn't get hear soon I may turn to the 9000, but the only problemis the price may be back up. Oh well.. Good luck with the new machine sounds like it will get the job done.

Thanks - I don't think the PGT9000 has a fuel reserve, but I could be wrong. There is nothing in the manual about it.

I think it might be manufactured by MTD. Good luck with the Husq!

K

KennyV

A lot of the older Gasoline AG tractors had that... but I have not seen it on any garden or lawn tractors.. old or new. :smile:KennyV

F

fastback

The tractor I ordered, the Husqavana has a reserve. Infact both of their garden tractor have it. I can't speak for the other models. They may or may not have this option. I thought it was a good thing there have been times when I ran out and had to walk back to the garage in the dead of summer. Then I had to drive it back after refueling. Five gallons of gas can get a little heavy in no time.

H

hoehappa

:thumbsup:
A lot of the older Gasoline AG tractors had that... but I have not seen it on any garden or lawn tractors.. old or new. :smile:KennyV :smile: my new husky YTH23V42LS has the reserve switch got the purddy thing last month

mystreba

mystreba

:thumbsup:
A lot of the older Gasoline AG tractors had that... but I have not seen it on any garden or lawn tractors.. old or new. :smile:KennyV :smile: my new husky YTH23V42LS has the reserve switch got the purddy thing last month

Got any pics posted?

F

fastback

Well I finaly got my new tractor. Its a husqvarna GTH26V52LS, and I got to play a little. It has what they call a fabricated deck and its solid. The deck is welded has greaseable blade spindles and also have a relatively solid blade and of course has a deck washout. The steering is good and tight, as you would expect, but easy to turn. Seems to handle well when trimming. The top speed of this machine is 7.8 MPH. A 4 gallon gas tank with reserve. The engine is a Kawasaki 26 hp, cut some grass that was a foot high no problem. My property has moist soil almost all year and so I need to cut every 3 days or so. I didn't cut a lot but what I did cut was smooth and even. I think that this is going to make me a good machine. I was going to take pictures but it was dirty so I'll waite until I wash it.

Regards,
Paul

H

hoehappa

Well I finaly got my new tractor. Its a husqvarna GTH26V52LS, and I got to play a little. It has what they call a fabricated deck and its solid. The deck is welded has greaseable blade spindles and also have a relatively solid blade and of course has a deck washout. The steering is good and tight, as you would expect, but easy to turn. Seems to handle well when trimming. The top speed of this machine is 7.8 MPH. A 4 gallon gas tank with reserve. The engine is a Kawasaki 26 hp, cut some grass that was a foot high no problem. My property has moist soil almost all year and so I need to cut every 3 days or so. I didn't cut a lot but what I did cut was smooth and even. I think that this is going to make me a good machine. I was going to take pictures but it was dirty so I'll waite until I wash it.

Regards,
Paul

congrats on the new husky! I picked up the yth23v42ls husky with the fabricated deck last month and i LOVE it:thumbsup::cool::smile:

K

KennyV

It's good to hear that they are making a more robust deck...
:smile:KennyV

H

hoehappa

It's good to hear that they are making a more robust deck...
:smile:KennyV

I was looking at a john deere 1979 mod 325 used at the jd dealer for $2200.00 then found this new huskie with the fabricated deck and 23 hp briggs vanguard for $2500.00 and I had to have it right then!!! Both machines are probably overkill for the one acre we have but I have lawn mower arrgrance and like good quality equipment!! :thumbsup::smile: We were in the process of moving from one state to another and ended up buying a $900.oo trailer to get it home 4 hours away.

D

dyt4000

I had to let it sit to run back to the house and get the gas can...

Your's doesn't have a reserve? The GT6000 I just bought has a valve like a motorcycles under the seat to switch from "main" to "reserve"...

mystreba

mystreba

Your's doesn't have a reserve? The GT6000 I just bought has a valve like a motorcycles under the seat to switch from "main" to "reserve"...

Nope - no reserve. Congrats on the new tractor!