MTD runs only one speed

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for leaving, sorry your bad mouth won’t be missed. Also, never owned a motorcycle, but I thought you would also realize that after you checked the muffler pulley for the cause of your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK Joe,
No one was throwing insults
As I tried to tell you we have no idea what type of transmission you have .
All we know is it has 7 speeds
It is equivalent in saying "My Ford wont go what is wrong with it "
I tried to be both a little humorous and give you an idea of how many options there were
The way this forum works is
1) we are all civil & do not call each other names
2) we ask you questions that we need answered in order to help us HELP YOU
3) the Techs work together so you do not get confusing replies or the same reply 44 times
If you can not be bothered to help us then we can not help you it is as simple as that
I ask people to provide information or to do simple tests
If they don't then I bow out of the thread and I tell them I am leaving & why
This is more for others than the original poster
Some people get a thrill about taking up lost causes but may have not contributed because they had seen I ( or another tech ) was on the thread & we had not made a misdiagnosis .
SO it is now good by from me as well as there are people here willing to help me help them so they ar far more deserving of my time & knowledge
Good luck

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The old MTDs had a variable pulley system, and from time to time the center sheave will stick.
While running, and the f/r lever in F, move the speed selector from P to 1, then 2, then 3, until the tractor starts moving. Use the footpedal to ease the tension on the shifter a tad. As you are moving forward, depress the pedal slightly as you move the selector down to lower numbers, see if that does anything.

jpokerwinski

Threads
The old MTDs had a variable pulley system, and from time to time the center sheave will stick.
While running, and the f/r lever in F, move the speed selector from P to 1, then 2, then 3, until the tractor starts moving. Use the footpedal to ease the tension on the shifter a tad. As you are moving forward, depress the pedal slightly as you move the selector down to lower numbers, see if that does anything.
Thanks for this. A much nicer reply than I got earlier 😂

jpokerwinski

Threads
Exactly what is the center sheave?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Congrats Fish, I think you nailed it, even though you were given so little to go on. I forgot about the older “Transmatic Transaxle”. I knew there were more things I should have listed as probably causes.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Is there an area I should try to lubricant?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, I noticed! That’s why I posted that I knew I missed something’s and asked other techs to chime in. I also notice he had a better brain and cleaner mouth than the OP, which caused him problems.