MTD runs only one speed

jpokerwinski

Threads
My MTD mower stopped going into higher speeds. It used to go to all 7.
Recently I tightened the brake adjuster nut. Could over tightening it be the problem or should I look elsewhere
Jim

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok lets ave a think
MTD made over 90 different mowers
These mowers used 7 different transmissions
Do you have 12 hours to read the 952 pages that will be needed to cover all of them before I take 3 days to dictate into the computer ?

OR you could simply post the numbers off the the ID tag under the seat so we all know what you are talking about

jpokerwinski

Threads
Ok lets ave a think
MTD made over 90 different mowers
These mowers used 7 different transmissions
Do you have 12 hours to read the 952 pages that will be needed to cover all of them before I take 3 days to dictate into the computer ?

OR you could simply post the numbers off the the ID tag under the seat so we all know what you are talking about
There is no tag under the seat. I got this second hand or maybe even third .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No unit numbers, but what about engine numbers? At least with those we might be able to determine year of manufacture. How able some pictures so it looks like we are standing next to you, instead of a thousand miles away where COVID has ruined our psychic abilities. How long has this been going on and what have you tried to do to resolve the problem? When was the last time you did a complete service on the unit? Total engine tuneup, drive tuneup, deck tuneup, etc. You need to help us help you.

jpokerwinski

Threads
No unit numbers, but what about engine numbers? At least with those we might be able to determine year of manufacture. How able some pictures so it looks like we are standing next to you, instead of a thousand miles away where COVID has ruined our psychic abilities. How long has this been going on and what have you tried to do to resolve the problem? When was the last time you did a complete service on the unit? Total engine tuneup, drive tuneup, deck tuneup, etc. You need to help us help you.
I have not tried anything. Im just asking for ideas on what causes these things.
Here is a picture of the label
On the engine.
It just started doing it. I tightened up the brake adjustment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing you are only willing to provide us with as little info as possible, can’t even type in engine numbers, I’ll provide an answer to your questions and then you are on your own.
What are the causes for a MTD tractor to only go at slow speeds?
1. Bad belt. 2. Bad drive pulley. 3. Bad tranny pulley. 4. Sheared tranny pulley key. 5. Bad shift keys. 6. Bad speed gears. 7. Worn transmission bushings. 8. Transmission loose. 9. Bad shifter yoke. 10. Bad tensioner pulleys. 11. Improper or loose shifter arm. 12. Loose tensioner arm. 13. Bad tensioner pulleys. 14. Improperly adjusted brake pedal. 15. Improperly adjusted brake. 16. Broken or worn brake pads. 17. Wrong drive belt. 18. Improperly assembled transmission components. 19. Wrong transmission lube. 20. Hard transmission lube. 21. Engine not running properly. 22. Bad headlight fluid 23. Operator Error.
To the other professionals on this forum, these are all the causes I can come up with. Hopefully you have obvious ones I have missed, because I’m going for an aspirin and third cup of brandy to reprogram my brain. May not be back for a long time.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Seeing you are only willing to provide us with as little info as possible, can’t even type in engine numbers, I’ll provide an answer to your questions and then you are on your own.
1. Bad belt. 2. Bad drive pulley. 3. Bad tranny pulley. 4. Sheared tranny pulley key. 5. Bad shift keys. 6. Bad speed gears. 7. Worn transmission bushings. 8. Transmission loose. 9. Bad shifter yoke. 10. Bad tensioner pulleys. 11. Improper or loose shifter arm. 12. Loose tensioner arm. 13. Bad tensioner pulleys. 14. Improperly adjusted brake pedal. 15. Improperly adjusted brake. 16. Broken or worn brake pads. 17. Wrong drive belt. 18. Improperly assembled transmission components. 19. Wrong transmission lube. 20. Hard transmission lube. 21. Engine not running properly. 22. Bad headlight fluid 23. Operator Error.
To the other professionals on this forum, these are all the causes I can come up with. Hopefully you have obvious ones I have missed, because I’m going for an aspirin and third cup of brandy to reprogram my brain. May not be back for a long time.
Well I can only hope

jpokerwinski

Threads
Well I can only hope
I would bet you have a Harley ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No Indian Chief, but I do have a brain That was in working order until about a half hour ago.

jpokerwinski

Threads
No Indian Chief, but I do have a brain That was in working order until about a half hour ago.
Ahhh I thought you were a biker. Apparently your one of those rude MF’ers I see in the forums. I asked a simple question but you didn’t have to exercise your skill at talking down to someone. And your right, I bet your brain IS exhausted. Move on… nothing to see here