Lowballers!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, the Lowballers drive you nuts and you say they kill the industry but what about the other end of the spectrum? Do you approve of the guys that gouge the industry with there over or inflated pricing of lawn maintenance, I bet not. The thing is I've never heard any consumer/client that complained about low prices on anything, just the opposite that prices are to high for what they're receiving. That fact is inflated pricing hurts the industry more than the Lowballers.

Just an off-topic aside, but same concept as eluded to by user Ric.......does anyone realize that Unions were a great concept back in the 40's but the ever-increasing arbitrations for ridiculous salaries and benefits( just how much $/year is putting bolts on a car door coming down the assembly line worth compared to other "occupations" requiring much more skills or physical extertion.....6 digits a year????). Now add the cheap labor prices for manufacturing garments in Indonesia and Vietnam.....well, there goes the textile industry in the U.S. or maybe the competiveness of steel manufactured in China......ouch Pittsburg and Allentown GONE as industrial giants(may as well rename the Steelers NFL team:0( and I could go on and on with examples like glass plants....now in Mexico and electronics in Japan. And we wonder WHY the United States is no longer the industrial leader of the world. IMHO, I answered that question in my very first sentence:0(

P.S.
Of couse it would be extremely difficult to offshore Lawn Maintenance, so you guys don't have THAT to worry about:0)
And, I'm probably going to get dinged by every user on the forum that is a Union worker.....but that's OK:0)
I've never had a problem negotiating my own salary and benefits in the I T industry for the last 43 years without paying someone to do that for me...but again the jobs in my career are quickly and agressively being off-shored or outsourced to India & Mexico(because, again same problem....they will do the job, just not as well.....for a lot less than I will)!!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just an off-topic aside, but same concept as eluded to by user Ric.......does anyone realize that Unions were a great concept back in the 40's but the ever-increasing arbitrations for ridiculous salaries and benefits( just how much $/year is putting bolts on a car door coming down the assembly line worth compared to other "occupations" requiring much more skills or physical extertion.....6 digits a year????). Now add the cheap labor prices for manufacturing garments in Indonesia and Vietnam.....well, there goes the textile industry in the U.S. or maybe the competiveness of steel manufactured in China......ouch Pittsburg and Allentown GONE as industrial giants(may as well rename the Steelers NFL team:0( and I could go on and on with examples like glass plants....now in Mexico and electronics in Japan. And we wonder WHY the United States is no longer the industrial leader of the world. IMHO, I answered that question in my very first sentence:0(

P.S.
Of couse it would be extremely difficult to offshore Lawn Maintenance, so you guys don't have THAT to worry about:0)
And, I'm probably going to get dinged by every user on the forum that is a Union worker.....but that's OK:0)
I've never had a problem negotiating my own salary and benefits in the I T industry for the last 43 years without paying someone to do that for me...but again the jobs in my career are quickly and agressively being off-shored or outsourced to India & Mexico(because, again same problem....they will do the job, just not as well.....for a lot less than I will)!!!

I agree with what you said. and it's possible relationship to the lawn care business The lawn care business if not careful is going to end up going the way a lot of other businesses have, we are going to price our selves out of business. That's the reason I always question threads on lowballers, are they actually hurting the industry or are they helping by bringing the guys who think they need $50,$60,$70 an hour back to reality.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with what you said. and it's possible relationship to the lawn care business The lawn care business if not careful is going to end up going the way a lot of other businesses have, we are going to price our selves out of business. That's the reason I always question threads on lowballers, are they actually hurting the industry or are they helping by bringing the guys who think they need $50,$60,$70 an hour back to reality.

I hear ya....if I had known that I could make that kind of money I would have seriously re-considered a career in mainframe computer applications development/support(with 24/7 on-call requirement, lots of overtime..without hourly pay for those hours, stressful "drop-dead date" project implementations, and dealing with "doctor/lawyer" levels of responsibility stress...like right now, I support the ACH & Check Recon systems for TN Treasury that move literally millions upon millions of dollars daily for every penny the State takes in and spends). Yep, I could have been riding around on my ZTR, lovin' it(hey.......I KNOW there is more to what you do than that:0) and making the same kind of money!!!!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear ya....if I had known that I could make that kind of money I would have seriously re-considered a career in mainframe computer applications development/support(with 24/7 on-call requirement, lots of overtime..without hourly pay for those hours, stressful "drop-dead date" project implementations, and dealing with "doctor/lawyer" levels of responsibility stress...like right now, I support the ACH & Check Recon systems for TN Treasury that move literally millions upon millions of dollars daily for every penny the State takes in and spends). Yep, I could have been riding around on my ZTR, lovin' it(hey.......I KNOW there is more to what you do than that:0) and making the same kind of money!!!!

We try to gross $60 an hour or better when we bid a job, however we bring to the table about $25k in equip when we come including the trailer but not the truck. With that said I see guys that will expect to make the same thing an hour that are running much less equipment.

In other words a job we bid for $45 we are there only a few minutes. Some guys around us will bid the same job at $50 to $60 and get mad if you underbid them. However we can be through, loaded back up and gone while they are still working on the same sized job. Then they call us "Low Ballers".

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
We try to gross $60 an hour or better when we bid a job, however we bring to the table about $25k in equip when we come including the trailer but not the truck. With that said I see guys that will expect to make the same thing an hour that are running much less equipment.

In other words a job we bid for $45 we are there only a few minutes. Some guys around us will bid the same job at $50 to $60 and get mad if you underbid them. However we can be through, loaded back up and gone while they are still working on the same sized job. Then they call us "Low Ballers".

Yep, it's pretty easy for somebody like me to criticize what is charged for lawn maintenance with absolutely no idea of everything that's involved in operating a business like that. Still not bad money though and I may have to consider some post retirement tax-free supplemental income as a scab, lowballing yard mower.........just kiddin' guys:0)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would rather see a man with his old riding mower in the back of his old pickup cutting yards for half of what I would then to see the 5 none English speaking guys pull up in the bosses new truck hack the yard up in 15 mins and leave.

The man with his old truck is going to do the best job he can he needs every yard he can get.

The big crew is just going as fast as they can
If I was to pay to have my yard cut it would be the man with his mower in his truck he would know how I like things.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got your message and realize you were not targeting me. But I am a lowballer... I mow a hotel here in town the lowest bid they got besides me was 100 a week I charge 50.. it takes me just under 2 hrs.

Http://www.facebook.com/affordableoptionlawncare

I post pix a lot I am very proud of my work. My business supports me my wife and my two kids. I am buying a house as well. I lowball because that's what I work for I love my work I take pride in my work and I do it for a whole hell of a lot less than most guys

A

AmericanTurf

Around here lowballers have a bad rep. They just hurt themselves by cutting thier own wages in half! I don't mint them. What I so mind and hate are the ones with no tax I.D number!!!! Pay taxes or go to jail!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

jekjr There are different ways in which one can lowball. You can lowball a competitor, or you can lowball a customer. and in a lot of cases when you lowball one you lowball the other. You say we bid for $45 we are there only a few minutes and that you're up and gone while they are still working on the same sized job. Now this is not to say that you are not doing the job but in a lot of cases the customer would rather see a business use a little more time to there yard because it makes them feel like there getting there moneys worth and that they care enough about there job and there yard to take that little extra time. Again not to say you are not doing the job but the end of your post reads Then they call us "Low Ballers. Always keep in mind that perception goes a long way in what one does.

A

AmericanTurf

I kinda agrea with exotion. I'm in the same boat, I have no overhead other than gas and taxes. He can charge less. But still I do not lowball. Why would someone cut there own wages is wierd. But every business structure is different. People gotta start somewhere.