I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
does it have a fuel filter?

jdtm

Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
Get and installpaint.net (https://www.getpaint.net/download.html) and then open and save the picture file using a lower resolution to reduce the size of the picture.

Check basic things like a clogged air filter and valve clearances. Make sure you are getting good fuel flow. Do a compression test. Because of the compression release built into the camshaft, it is difficult to give an exact number to look for, but if you are giving it hard pulls during the test, I would be suspicious of a reading much below 60 PSI. 90 PSI or so would be on the high end.

Paul’s Toro

Threads
Get and installpaint.net (https://www.getpaint.net/download.html) and then open and save the picture file using a lower resolution to reduce the size of the picture.

Check basic things like a clogged air filter and valve clearances. Make sure you are getting good fuel flow. Do a compression test. Because of the compression release built into the camshaft, it is difficult to give an exact number to look for, but if you are giving it hard pulls during the test, I would be suspicious of a reading much below 60 PSI. 90 PSI or so would be on the high end.
New air filter.
compression was 70 pounds
I’m thinking a bad valve at this point

semimechanicman

Threads
I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 190cc Briggs & Stratton motor on it that continues to sputter when idling. I have changed the oil, the spark plug, the air filter and the carburetor and it still sputters.
i had a pressure washer with that engine and same problem. it ended up being the auto choke plate staying closed for some reason inside the carb therefore causing it to run rough.

the.doc

Threads

SoarinRed

Forum Newbie
Threads
unfortunately the picture I took won’t download
as you stated due to its size. Can you give me more recommendations.I appreciate your assistance
Mail should allow the pics to be compressed and sent. once the pics are open, then they can be decompressed. Just follow the prompts. or change the camera setting on your camera or phone.

SoarinRed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some carbs won't idle down under 2k rpms.

Having said that, Briggs recommends not to idle down. Lack of oil lubrication and air cooling are the symptoms of. Run her at 3200 to 3600 and call it a day.
good call, he could also check to see if the coil screws aren't loose or 1 broken which could affect the continuity of the electricity going to the spark plug.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snagit from Techsmith is what I use to grab images. Alternatively if someone is using Windows10

Click on the lower left Window or hit the windows key on their keyboard
type SNIP
Click on The Snipping Tool
Click on New
Use their mouse to put a frame around what they want to save
Save it as a jpeg where they can easily find and manage it
Upload it.

Example - i took a quick shot of part of this reply using the Snipping Tool:

Capture.JPG

jdtm

Threads
If it is working OK under load, that would make valve and ignition issues less likely. On the other hand, it is not that hard to get to the valves on this engine, and it never hurts to make sure they are moving freely, lap them, and adjust the clearances (0.005"-0.007" intake and 0.007"-0.009" exhaust). And clean the carbon off the head while you have it off. If you are careful, you may be able to reuse the head gasket without issue, but be prepared to replace it. If it runs OK under load, you are also getting enough fuel. The governor seems unlikely to be the problem, but you can manually hold the throttle to verify that you still have the issue.

The new carb you got may be broken. I once got one that was missing welch plugs. The lesson there is that you cannot assume that something is not the problem because a new replacement was installed. Also look for air leaks. The hardware holding the carb to the engine can sometimes work loose. If you find this to be the case, be sure to correct the problem with some Loctite, or otherwise it will work loose again.