I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
I would never reuse a head gasket unless I am out in the field and have no other alternative. That said, I warranty my work and don’t want to lose $$$ because I‘m in a hurry to get a job done. Never lost a customer because I’m doing things the right way.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
Just curious when the OP said changed everything did he try just running a new mower under it?:ROFLMAO:

He couldn't have tried everything...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would never reuse a head gasket unless I am out in the field and have no other alternative. That said, I warranty my work and don’t want to lose $$$ because I‘m in a hurry to get a job done. Never lost a customer because I’m doing things the right way.
It sorta like the Super Z I am working on right now. The customer rounded the hex head of the blade bolt. Apparently he was using a 12 pt socket. No problem getting it off with the 6 pt here. I have clean hex up but is now it takes 7/8 socket instead of the 15/16. So as not to confuse the next person servicing the deck I will install a new 5/8-11 x 3" screw that has the same head size as the other two blade bolts. I just keep old bolt for use where only one screw this size is used.

Basically it is thinking about the person that has to work on the machine.

TobyU

Threads
There's a saying: "Close enough for give govt work" I find it hilarious but useful.
If a head gasket (esp on L head Briggs) doesn't chunk off to badly there is no real reason not to reuse it.
I have permatex copper spray for these that I almost always coat of I reuse one.
But let's be realistic.... The bottom 3 right corner bolts on basically EVERY ONE of these are so loose that it's amazing they don't all leak.
The fact is that they don't need much pressure to stay sealed enough to run well. I could literally hold a head onto the block with my hand and start one.

In most cases, a good non damaged used one with permatex copper spray seals better than the original before it was touched with it's loose bolts!!

I warranty my work too.
If I charge them for a new gasket, then they get a new gasket but if I can keep the cost lower with a used one....I do.

The warranty is not the issue.
IF I started having a bunch come back then I would change something but I one would come back then it would be no big deal
Takes what?? 3 minutes to pop head off and put a new one on?
I'm good with that risk and results have supported it.

jdtm

Threads
I was trying to pass along what I considered good advice, not start a war. The L-head B&S engine seems very tolerant of used head gaskets, and as someone mentioned, the bolts usually work loose. I have never had a reused head gasket fail, but you need to use a little common sense when deciding to reuse or replace. If the laminations are separating or something like that, it is time for Mr. Gasket to visit the trash can. Otherwise, especially if you are doing your own work, reusing the gasket is a good idea.

TobyU

Threads
I was trying to pass along what I considered good advice, not start a war. The L-head B&S engine seems very tolerant of used head gaskets, and as someone mentioned, the bolts usually work loose. I have never had a reused head gasket fail, but you need to use a little common sense when deciding to reuse or replace. If the laminations are separating or something like that, it is time for Mr. Gasket to visit the trash can. Otherwise, especially if you are doing your own work, reusing the gasket is a good idea.
No more at all it's just that I don't tolerate when people make comments like they are rules or exactitudes etc.
Many people have different methods to obtain the same results and the same durability and longevity.
In other words your mileage may vary.. YMMV.

I and a commercial shop but I'm probably one of the more unique ones in the whole country.
I don't try to be anything like the other people and don't try to do add-on sales or related sales etc and don't try to do more services just to get the ticket price up or to make more money even though I could.

I am far more concerned with keeping my repair prices low for my customers.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it and when it does break, do it as economical as possible to get back up into service.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All kinds of people come to this forum looking for advice and help in solving their problems. Those giving advice and help can be backyard newbie DIYers all the way up to commercial manufacturer service techs. In between you get those who repair as a hobby, those with mechanical and technical skills and industry service owners and technicians. I am part of the last group and we have standards which we are required to uphold, because of manufacturers requirements, safety requirements and insurance requirements. Because 99% of the time our brains are in shop mode, our answers reflect the standards we must deal with everyday, that the rest of the don’t agree with. On top of that, how well we do our jobs determines the quality of life for ourselves and our families. If the DIY makes a mistake, they chalk it up to inexperience and go on with life. Our mistakes can cost us our livelihood.
One thing that really pisses me off are those who say most service people throw parts at repairs just to jack up their bottom line. Having worked in this industry for 50+ years with representatives the manufacturing side down to repair technicians, I can tell you that 90% of the people I have dealt with DO NOT do this. Anyone making that blanket claim has no idea what they are talking about. Yes there are the 10% that give everyone a bad rep, but we know who they are. They are the companies who we say we never recommend and the people on this forum who we call out because they give poor information. Just like anywhere when you ask for advice, before using that advice, consider the background of the advisor. Plus the advice is only worth what you paid for it and if you’re not ready to accept the answer, don’t ask the question. Read my signature.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like Rivets I warranty my repairs for a period of time , in my case a full year
And like every other tech here my time has a value
So it is a value judgement.
The cost of the time for me to check a gasket properly assemble the engine, find the old gasket failed then redo the job or the cost of a new gasket which is all of $ 25.00 so it is a no brainer.
Now L heads run low compression usually around 6:1 so some times you can get buy with an old gasket but reusing old gaskets is strait out bad practice as visually you can not asses the internal integrity so the only head gaskets that get reused are the solid copper ones .
And FWIW , I am around 100 services to date because I am not particularly well
In those services I am yet to replace a single spark plug , on about 1/3 I replaced the prefilter & left the original paper element there
I have used just over 50 fuel filters as I have just opened the second bag .
So no I do not replace perfectly good parts to pad out service prices.
Franchised dealers are in a different situation because they are contractually obliged to carry out the service according to the factory specifications .
IF you read my all posts ( you must be bored ) then you will see me regularly instructing people to diagnose the fault before swapping out parts .
However you will never ever find me advising to reuse a head gasket "if it looks good " and always replace the diaphragms & gaskets on cube carbs because it is sound practice .

TobyU

Threads
All kinds of people come to this forum looking for advice and help in solving their problems. Those giving advice and help can be backyard newbie DIYers all the way up to commercial manufacturer service techs. In between you get those who repair as a hobby, those with mechanical and technical skills and industry service owners and technicians. I am part of the last group and we have standards which we are required to uphold, because of manufacturers requirements, safety requirements and insurance requirements. Because 99% of the time our brains are in shop mode, our answers reflect the standards we must deal with everyday, that the rest of the don’t agree with. On top of that, how well we do our jobs determines the quality of life for ourselves and our families. If the DIY makes a mistake, they chalk it up to inexperience and go on with life. Our mistakes can cost us our livelihood.
One thing that really pisses me off are those who say most service people throw parts at repairs just to jack up their bottom line. Having worked in this industry for 50+ years with representatives the manufacturing side down to repair technicians, I can tell you that 90% of the people I have dealt with DO NOT do this. Anyone making that blanket claim has no idea what they are talking about. Yes there are the 10% that give everyone a bad rep, but we know who they are. They are the companies who we say we never recommend and the people on this forum who we call out because they give poor information. Just like anywhere when you ask for advice, before using that advice, consider the background of the advisor. Plus the advice is only worth what you paid for it and if you’re not ready to accept the answer, don’t ask the question. Read my signature.
I was talking about this bad few because they're only a few in the mower repair industry that do that. Unfortunately, and the auto repair world it's over far worse and the large majority probably 80 or 90%.
I tell people all the time that lawnmower shops aren't trying to do extra work to your machines because they frankly don't have time! They have 75 to 100 plus mowers to fix at any given time and they just need to get you done and get on to the next person.

I don't agree with you high road mentality though about standards etc at least not completely.
My standards are about doing a great job and high quality work that gets the job done for people at the lowest cost possible... keeping equipment up and running for as long as possible.

You can't talk about safety standards or liability, etc in regards to things like safety switches, blade adapters or bent crankshafts, and then talk about reusing a head gasket on a Briggs L head because that's not apples to apples.
Some people might be stuck in what you call shop mode but there is no comparison because there is no safety involved.
There is no possibility or increased risk of injury, or liability even if the head gasket fails.
The only thing it could do is aggravate and hassle the customer and possibly tarnish your reputation if you had repeat failures or comebacks often.

The other thing I do say about shops often to my customers along with that they're not trying to do extra work for you it's just for the work that's needed that they do they are far overpriced.
They also often grossly overpay for the parts they buy so of course the customer has to pay more too.

Anyone by riding more spindles, starters, carburetors, or ignition modules from a retail shop or from a local WD or supplier is absolutely crazy because they're overpaying multiple times.
Other items, it makes little difference.

Forgive me if I have a chip on my shoulder towards most of these commercial industries.
I might be part of that industry but I am a human oddity so I do it my own way and part of the reasons I continue to do this is just to buck the system.

I really don't believe in the entire theory or concept of some parts of the industry and this is the only one that I see things differently about.
I understand their argument that they need to make enough money to pay their employees and pay their overhead and make a decent living but I don't think I really agree that the whole circle of things should work the way it does.
We shouldn't have larger stores with employees and overhead etc. I would prefer a handful of small owner operator guys fixing them from a garage or pole barn on their property.
This would be a better situation as there could be enough to satisfy the need and demand and they could keep the prices lower and still make decent money.
But unfortunately, this country has decided to prevent most all of this.
They want everyone to "spin the money wheel" and force them to butter the bread of these commercial real estate companies...spending lots of money and passing that expense on to customers.
Let's just say I don't support it.

I guess I'm a supporter of the millions of independent contractors - plumbers, electricians, landscapers, photographers, painters, body guys and gals etc but I'm sad that a lot of them go along with the flow and charge what the market deems acceptable because these big companies crank up that price.
Probably just a product of size of population.

I'll go back to a tiny town size please.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No arguement that the experiment into capatilist demand economy has been a dismal failure .
This comes down to lack of government oversight and enforcement of what were some of the best business laws on the planet .
However when it comes to giving advice then it should be the best advice
It takes weeks if not months for some of the posters to work out their head gasket is gone
So the very last thing we should be doing is allowing the problem to repeat itself
I know mechanics that have silicon in air powered dispencers because they never replace a gasket, just splosh some goo on it and out it goes, for a while.
If the poster cares to ignore good advice, reuse an old gasket and have it blow out next season then that was their decision but advising them to reuse it "if it looks good" is plain bad.
And to back that Up I do have a post graduate diploma in materials science so yes I know the difference between an item that is single use and one that is designed to be reused .
Even worse many people do not understand the difference between SV & OHV head gaskets so they see bad information then apply it to places where is wan never meat for .