I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything

Paul’s Toro

Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
m 20055 has one speed. You cant idle it. It is either on or off. When one lets the kill handle go the mower dies as designed. I would think the 20056 would do the same. If the rpm won't come up then something may be goofy with the governor circuit as others have suggested.
The speed of the idol is not the issue as the idle speed is very high. The issue is it randomly sputters and almost like a valve has a problem. I’ve tried tech Ron in it along with Marvel mystery oil. It recycles the grass in incredibly small pieces and runs beautifully except for the sputter. It also has a noise that sounds like marbles so mechanically it might even have a small rod knock. At this stage of the game I’ll just keep fresh oil in it and run it until it dies. Thank you everyone for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I have a Toro lawnmower with a 6.75 Briggs & Stratton 190 cc motor on it and it continues to sputter when it is idle. I have changed everything
Some have a tab you can bend to adjust the rpm's.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
unfortunately the picture I took won’t download
as you stated due to its size. Can you give me more recommendations.I appreciate your assistance
Paul,
Take some photos holding the camera very steady
Upload them into your computer
use what ever photo editing app you have to resize them to 12" along the longest end then set the resolution to 72 dpi
Then save them as a JPG
These will then be the correct file size to upload here .

sessman55

Threads
If the engine emits black smoke while idling, perhaps you didn’t install the choke return spring. They’re small and easily misplaced.

CWatters

Threads
Fuel starvation? Check all fuel lines, clean out tank?

Forum Newbie
Threads
unfortunately the picture I took won’t download
as you stated due to its size. Can you give me more recommendations.I appreciate your assistance
Paul,

eMail the picture to me and I will shrink it down with Photoshop.

George

STEVES

Threads
um, I think Paul's said it runs full speed & sputters as it does not idle. Idle seems not to be the issue. If I read all posts correctly.

Paul’s Toro

Threads
um, I think Paul's said it runs full speed & sputters as it does not idle. Idle seems not to be the issue. If I read all posts correctly.
The idle is not the issue as it is as it should be.
The issue is it sputters when idling. I’m thinking it might be a valve issue

STEVES

Threads
The idle is not the issue as it is as it should be.
The issue is it sputters when idling. I’m thinking it might be a valve issue
you said 'idle not issue' then said 'sputters when idling' ?? Post #8 'sorry for the confusion, but she is idling at full throttle with a sputter' Full throttle at Idle?? Guess I just confused!

tadawson

Threads
I think the confusion when an engine is at full speed, by definition, that is *NOT* idle in any way, shape, or form! I think a better choice of words may be "sputters under full speed, no load, conditions", and the confusion is not helping.