HRX217VKA won't start

Threads
Purchased last July at HD after 19 years with 16"(?) Honda.
I've used this new one less the 10-12 times and now in the midst of using it, it won't restart after simply emptying the grass bag!. Plenty of gas, gas knob in correct position. HD is no help via "chat", "too bad, we only sell 'em"!
Any suggestions?

Thanks

zmister11

Threads
Purchased last July at HD after 19 years with 16"(?) Honda.
I've used this new one less the 10-12 times and now in the midst of using it, it won't restart after simply emptying the grass bag!. Plenty of gas, gas knob in correct position. HD is no help via "chat", "too bad, we only sell 'em"!
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Has it been sitting for a while? It may need a carb cleaning

Threads
No, had already used it 2 or 3 times this year and had just done 90% of my lawn, wouldn't restart for the last 10%!

Called Honda in Georgia and get a "locate a dealer in your area" reply. My "dealer" only SELLS the !#&%% machines!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, had already used it 2 or 3 times this year and had just done 90% of my lawn, wouldn't restart for the last 10%!

Called Honda in Georgia and get a "locate a dealer in your area" reply. My "dealer" only SELLS the !#&%% machines!

Plenty of Honda dealers in New York offer service, just be sure to pick LAWN MOWER and check off the SERVICE box when using the dealer locator link:

servicedealer_zpsd06c0367.jpg

Also, some HRX models may be affected by an issue with a sticking choke that would make the mower hard to start. If you'll share the serial number off the back of the mower, I can see if yours is in the group:
lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Your HRX is probably under warranty, and if the issue is a factory defect, a servicing dealer should be able to offer repairs at no cost. Keep in mind, it's a busy time of year, so discuss this with your dealer BEFORE taking it in.

Threads
Thanks

MAGA-2105343

BTW, the closest service center(Honda Motorcycles) I used for my old mower were idiots. Will need a more reputable one

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks

MAGA-2105343

Okay, that HRX is part of the group of affected mowers with a possible sticking auto-choke. This can make it difficult or impossible to start. Tell your Honda dealer to refer to Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #100, "Hard Starting Due to Sticking Choke." If the problem is found to be a factory defect, repairs should be covered under warranty. FYI, the warranty on the HRX is 60 months.

Records show this mower was never registered with Honda; if you have dated proof of purchase, bring it with you to the Honda dealer so they can establish the warranty start date. If you don't have dated proof of purchase, the warranty start date would be the date this unit was invoiced, which is 2/14/2013.

Sorry to hear of the poor experience with the dealer; with luck, you can find another that can provide better service.

Threads
Thanks very much!
Out of curiosity, when did this issue become known? I'll have to dig around for the receipt or maybe it's in the HD system under my serial#?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks very much!
Out of curiosity, when did this issue become known? I'll have to dig around for the receipt or maybe it's in the HD system under my serial#?

Honda released the auto-choke service bulletin back in January.

When you buy a mower at Home Depot, they probably don't record the serial number anywhere in their system. The registration card that came in the document packet with the mower is typically filled out and mailed in by the new owner.

Threads
January 2014?

Reading reviews it appears they've had auto-choke problems for years AND you stated if "it's a manufacturers defect"? WTH? It's been used 8-10 times on a small 100X60' lot. My former Honda brake/blade clutch model did the job for 18-19 years without incident!