Export thread

HRX217VKA won't start

S

stagefoursurvivor

Purchased last July at HD after 19 years with 16"(?) Honda.
I've used this new one less the 10-12 times and now in the midst of using it, it won't restart after simply emptying the grass bag!. Plenty of gas, gas knob in correct position. HD is no help via "chat", "too bad, we only sell 'em"!
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Z

zmister11

Purchased last July at HD after 19 years with 16"(?) Honda.
I've used this new one less the 10-12 times and now in the midst of using it, it won't restart after simply emptying the grass bag!. Plenty of gas, gas knob in correct position. HD is no help via "chat", "too bad, we only sell 'em"!
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Has it been sitting for a while? It may need a carb cleaning

S

stagefoursurvivor

No, had already used it 2 or 3 times this year and had just done 90% of my lawn, wouldn't restart for the last 10%!

Called Honda in Georgia and get a "locate a dealer in your area" reply. My "dealer" only SELLS the !#&%% machines!

S

stagefoursurvivor

And yes, the gas was purchased a few days earlier

robert@honda

robert@honda

No, had already used it 2 or 3 times this year and had just done 90% of my lawn, wouldn't restart for the last 10%!

Called Honda in Georgia and get a "locate a dealer in your area" reply. My "dealer" only SELLS the !#&%% machines!

Plenty of Honda dealers in New York offer service, just be sure to pick LAWN MOWER and check off the SERVICE box when using the dealer locator link:

servicedealer_zpsd06c0367.jpg

Also, some HRX models may be affected by an issue with a sticking choke that would make the mower hard to start. If you'll share the serial number off the back of the mower, I can see if yours is in the group:
lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Your HRX is probably under warranty, and if the issue is a factory defect, a servicing dealer should be able to offer repairs at no cost. Keep in mind, it's a busy time of year, so discuss this with your dealer BEFORE taking it in.

S

stagefoursurvivor

Thanks

MAGA-2105343

BTW, the closest service center(Honda Motorcycles) I used for my old mower were idiots. Will need a more reputable one

robert@honda

robert@honda

Thanks

MAGA-2105343

Okay, that HRX is part of the group of affected mowers with a possible sticking auto-choke. This can make it difficult or impossible to start. Tell your Honda dealer to refer to Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #100, "Hard Starting Due to Sticking Choke." If the problem is found to be a factory defect, repairs should be covered under warranty. FYI, the warranty on the HRX is 60 months.

Records show this mower was never registered with Honda; if you have dated proof of purchase, bring it with you to the Honda dealer so they can establish the warranty start date. If you don't have dated proof of purchase, the warranty start date would be the date this unit was invoiced, which is 2/14/2013.

Sorry to hear of the poor experience with the dealer; with luck, you can find another that can provide better service.

S

stagefoursurvivor

Thanks very much!
Out of curiosity, when did this issue become known? I'll have to dig around for the receipt or maybe it's in the HD system under my serial#?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Thanks very much!
Out of curiosity, when did this issue become known? I'll have to dig around for the receipt or maybe it's in the HD system under my serial#?

Honda released the auto-choke service bulletin back in January.

When you buy a mower at Home Depot, they probably don't record the serial number anywhere in their system. The registration card that came in the document packet with the mower is typically filled out and mailed in by the new owner.

S

stagefoursurvivor

January 2014?

Reading reviews it appears they've had auto-choke problems for years AND you stated if "it's a manufacturers defect"? WTH? It's been used 8-10 times on a small 100X60' lot. My former Honda brake/blade clutch model did the job for 18-19 years without incident!

S

stagefoursurvivor

Honda released the auto-choke service bulletin back in January.

When you buy a mower at Home Depot, they probably don't record the serial number anywhere in their system. The registration card that came in the document packet with the mower is typically filled out and mailed in by the new owner.
Would my S/N reveal that it was distributed thru HD? Still trying to locate that receipt or check my CC records.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Would my S/N reveal that it was distributed thru HD? Still trying to locate that receipt or check my CC records.

Yes, that serial number was invoiced by Honda to Home Depot on 2/14/2013.

Please keep in mind it is just an educated guess you may be having an auto-choke issue. Until a dealer can examine and inspect the mower to confirm, it can't be said for 100% the starting problem is a factory defect or not. It could be decayed fuel, plugged jet(s), etc.

S

stagefoursurvivor

Yes, that serial number was invoiced by Honda to Home Depot on 2/14/2013.

Please keep in mind it is just an educated guess you may be having an auto-choke issue. Until a dealer can examine and inspect the mower to confirm, it can't be said for 100% the starting problem is a factory defect or not. It could be decayed fuel, plugged jet(s), etc.

I found my receipt 6/6/13 and spoke with a Honda repair shop...2 weeks turnaround. This is BS for a mower used 8-10 times.
Sadly, I'm sure Honda couldn't care less. I get better service on my Accord.
After researching, it also appears this auto choke issue goes way back and continues to plague various models.
Perhaps I'll just dump it in the driveway of the owner of HD in Old Westbury since I know where he lives.

S

stagefoursurvivor

Well, took it to my private guy, who discovered the autochoke is the problem, freezes in place. He corrected the issue with "dry" lubricant but, says it's a very poor design and shocking that Honda continues it's use BECAUSE it will likely be a recurrent problem.
I'm negotiating a trade with a dedicated mower dealer to upgrade to a 217HZA or more likely a Toro 20384.
Hondas warranty is worthless if you have to wait minimum 2 weeks for service!

exotion

exotion

Shops are busy this time of year. You cannot expect them to drop everything just to help you out. 2 weeks is not bad at all actually I've heard of people 2-3 months out. In the spring.

Patience my friend you have a fantastic mower and its a free fix so let the shop take care of you and maybe borrow a neighbors mower in a week to mow your lawn. Then you'll get your beastie back

S

stagefoursurvivor

Shops are busy this time of year. You cannot expect them to drop everything just to help you out.
No, what I EXPECT is for a Honda mower, one year old, NOT to have defective parts that require a visit to ANY shop. When buyers plunk down premium prices, they expect the best.

you have a fantastic mower
Any product used 10, 12 or 14 times per year that doesn't start ONCE is not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Would that ratio be acceptable if your Accord didn't start every 2-3 months?

exotion

exotion

First off this is far from a car. And two seperate companies by the way. And the less you use your mower the more likely it is to break.

This is a factory defect and they are going to take care of you FREE and two weeks is not that long to wait to mow your lawn. The hrx is nearly top of the line and has one little problem that you don't even need to pay to fix.

Besides look at all the gm cars being recalled. People are without their car for weeks right now.

robert@honda

robert@honda

I'm negotiating a trade with a dedicated mower dealer to upgrade to a 217HZA or more likely a Toro 20384.

The HZA has the same autochoke design as your VKA. :rolleyes: Maybe you should go for the Toro. :tongue:

The HZA is, in my humble opinion, a nicer machine than the VKA due to the hydrostatic transmission and controls, but this is a personal preference. You may like the SmartDrive or Toro controls better.

If you do go with the HZA, the dealer should check if the serial number is in the affected range documented in the service bulletin. If it is, the dealer should then determine if there is an issue with the autochoke or not, and update the parts if needed before you take delivery.

It begs then why not just let them repair your VKA if you like it otherwise? Hard to imagine you are so desperate to get you lawn mowed you'd decline a free repair and spend more money on a new/different/untested mower just because you don't want to wait 14 days. I'll bet you could pay somebody to mow your lawn while your Honda is repaired, for less money/time/effort that it would take for you to trade in your current Honda for another mower.

Comparing auto service turn-around time to lawn mower service turn-around time is apples/oranges. I will guess the dealer is "2 weeks out" on ALL brands of mowers, including Toro.

M

magbarn

Well, took it to my private guy, who discovered the autochoke is the problem, freezes in place. He corrected the issue with "dry" lubricant but, says it's a very poor design and shocking that Honda continues it's use BECAUSE it will likely be a recurrent problem.

You do realize that Toro super recycler uses their 'in-house' Toro motor? So you're going to trade in your perfectly good mower with one of the best residential engines other than a bad choke defect (My HYA has the updated autochoke and it never gave me any problems at all - you just have to make sure you allow the motor to warm up before killing it to restart again) for a Toro-rebranded piece of Chinese junk motor with the worst carb. The Toro Super Recyclers that had the old-school Briggs with side valve were IMHO superior to the motors they put in the Super recyclers now.

shacky

shacky

If your forum name means what I think it means I would think you would have learned more patience than you display here.

S

stagefoursurvivor

The HZA has the same autochoke design as your VKA. :rolleyes: Maybe you should go for the Toro. :tongue:

The HZA is, in my humble opinion, a nicer machine than the VKA due to the hydrostatic transmission and controls, but this is a personal preference. You may like the SmartDrive or Toro controls better.

If you do go with the HZA, the dealer should check if the serial number is in the affected range documented in the service bulletin. If it is, the dealer should then determine if there is an issue with the autochoke or not, and update the parts if needed before you take delivery.

It begs then why not just let them repair your VKA if you like it otherwise? Hard to imagine you are so desperate to get you lawn mowed you'd decline a free repair and spend more money on a new/different/untested mower just because you don't want to wait 14 days. I'll bet you could pay somebody to mow your lawn while your Honda is repaired, for less money/time/effort that it would take for you to trade in your current Honda for another mower.

Comparing auto service turn-around time to lawn mower service turn-around time is apples/oranges. I will guess the dealer is "2 weeks out" on ALL brands of mowers, including Toro.
This is ridiculous! Used it last week after dry lubricant treatment and now it won't start AGAIN.
What does Honda do for a repair? Do they replace the entire autochoke assembly or just dry lube the defective one?

robert@honda

robert@honda

This is ridiculous! Used it last week after dry lubricant treatment and now it won't start AGAIN.

Dry lubricant is not the proper repair if the autochoke is defective; it must be replaced.

What does Honda do for a repair? Do they replace the entire autochoke assembly or just dry lube the defective one?

Honda dealers do not apply dry lube to fix a defective part. From what I read of your previous posting, your "independent" guy decided to do this to your mower, not a Honda dealer.

If the autochoke is found to be defective, Honda has instructed Honda dealers to replace the autochoke linkage (green) as well as the wax cylinder/piston (yellow) that closes the choke plate. For mowers with binding autochokes that are in the affected serial number range, this is done at no cost under the terms of the warranty.

autochoke_zps7baa99a6.jpg

B

bryson

I had used my 3 times on a very small yard. The 4th time the mower would not start. Took back to dealer and service man says $51.47 and you can come pick it up. The owner called back and said there will be no charge and he will have his person check it over again. The tech said it was a gas problem and Honda does not cover that. I have a backup mower a Toro that still cranks on 1st pull and it is the same gas. I purchased 93 octane to prevent this problem but in my case it was no help. The owner was great, but I told him I am worried this will keep recurring. I love the mower but I am really worried about this problem. When I get the mower back from shop I tell you the i.d. number.

S

stagefoursurvivor

I returned mine after 13 months for a full refund. No more Hondas. Will Toro be any better? Maybe not but, Honda is disreputable. Known issues for many years and they keep using the same parts...enough said

H

HDL3000

Anyone know part # yellow, green, carburetor and carb gaskets thank you very much

Mower is craftsman with honda engine
GCV160LAO-S3H NH1
GJARA4582048

robert@honda

robert@honda

Anyone know part # yellow, green, carburetor and carb gaskets thank you very much

Mower is craftsman with honda engine
GCV160LAO-S3H NH1
GJARA4582048

Control Assy. (green) is Honda Part Number 16600-Z8B-900
Thermowax (yellow) is Honda Part Number 16620-Z8D-305
Gasket (choke side) is Honda Part Number 16228-Z0L-840
Gasket (insulator side is Honda Part Number 16212-ZL8-000

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

H

HDL3000

Thank you very much

H

HDL3000

Hi Robert,
Can you give the Carburetor assembly part # ? Thank you

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hi Robert,
Can you give the Carburetor assembly part # ? Thank you

Carburetor part number is 16100-Z0L-876, list price $18.21.

L

loco-diablo

I bought a new HRX217VKA at a local dealer back in august 2013. It ran fine for the remainder of the 2013 Massachusetts grass season. It was only when i took it out of storage in the spring of 2014 that i had the autochoke problem. It took about 10 pulls to fire it up. After some online research, i brought it to the dealer where they replaced the autochoke components (Service Bulletin 100), and it ran fine all last season after that. Zero cost repair! I was concerned it would be a occurring problem but I took it out of storage this past weekend and it fired right up! One pull!

My advice to folks that are having autochoke problems is simple. Go see the dealer. These mowers have a 5 year warranty! 6 year in some circumstances! It's a simple fix that requires some updated components. Forget the dry lube,etc.. Get it properly repaired.
The dealer will fix this under warranty for zero cost!

I hope this helps.

B

bertsmobile1

Well from the dealers point of view ( and I am an independant repairer not a dealer )
Tough luck, take it back to HD and get them to fix it.
Now I have all these nice people who have done the right thing by me so I am going to do the right thing by them.
When they are all done I will get around to doing you.

See just like you, the dealer has a family and a mortgage and likes to have a beer and he relies on his loyal happy customers to provide all of that.
OTOH the owner of HD just plays on the cheapness & selfishness of the general buying public & does not give a toss about you as your patronage is insignificant to his multimillion dollar income.

And by the way, my average turn around for a repair if I don't need to buy in parts is 5 days. So 2 weeks is not unreasonable.

Assuming that the dealer has some sort of obligation to you is unreasonable as you decided a $ 50 lower price was more important than loyal dealer support.
Now you need dealer service you think he should drop everything to service an owner who shunned his shop in the first place.
The dealer has an obligation to Honda to do the repair and you were offerred that but refused, took it to some one who had no idea of the problem but could pander to your impatience by doing it strait away and judging by your quotation of his comments I can see a good reason why he has so little work on that he can do you while you wait.

Our season is almost over, my shop is still full & I have 2 weeks of customers waiting for me to call their mowers in for their regular service.

I might suggest you calm down a bit and make an effort to see things from a point of view other than yours.
Do that and you might find your remaining toime on this planet passes in a far more enjoyable manner.

PS, good luck with getting Toro service

exotion

exotion

Well from the dealers point of view ( and I am an independant repairer not a dealer )
Tough luck, take it back to HD and get them to fix it.
Now I have all these nice people who have done the right thing by me so I am going to do the right thing by them.
When they are all done I will get around to doing you.

See just like you, the dealer has a family and a mortgage and likes to have a beer and he relies on his loyal happy customers to provide all of that.
OTOH the owner of HD just plays on the cheapness & selfishness of the general buying public & does not give a toss about you as your patronage is insignificant to his multimillion dollar income.

And by the way, my average turn around for a repair if I don't need to buy in parts is 5 days. So 2 weeks is not unreasonable.

Assuming that the dealer has some sort of obligation to you is unreasonable as you decided a $ 50 lower price was more important than loyal dealer support.
Now you need dealer service you think he should drop everything to service an owner who shunned his shop in the first place.
The dealer has an obligation to Honda to do the repair and you were offerred that but refused, took it to some one who had no idea of the problem but could pander to your impatience by doing it strait away and judging by your quotation of his comments I can see a good reason why he has so little work on that he can do you while you wait.

Our season is almost over, my shop is still full & I have 2 weeks of customers waiting for me to call their mowers in for their regular service.

I might suggest you calm down a bit and make an effort to see things from a point of view other than yours.
Do that and you might find your remaining toime on this planet passes in a far more enjoyable manner.

PS, good luck with getting Toro service

This is epic thanks. This sums it up perfectly