How adept are you, mechanically?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
20 year sr high small engine / fab teacher here.

Did you know that a flywheel won't come off even if you use a three jaw puller and an impact if you don't take thje flywheel nut off first?:rolleyes:

Yep, Ha haha ... IT is all about learning to pay attention to the details... we all have gone through that (some times over & over & over again)...
GOOD to have you here... and we are all looking forward to warmer weather... :smile:KennyV

ncc-1701

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I am at 8 or 9 on your scale. I went to a collage in North Dakota and hve a dgree in small engines, so I think I can do most of what is need to fix a lawnmover, motorcycle, boat ect. And I'm not to bad at weldind either. I like to working in my shop fixing things....

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I am at 8 or 9 on your scale. I went to a collage in North Dakota and hve a dgree in small engines, so I think I can do most of what is need to fix a lawnmover, motorcycle, boat ect. And I'm not to bad at weldind either. I like to working in my shop fixing things....

Welcome to LMF, your experience will be VERY valuable to us here. Thanks for joining!!!

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Obviously the majority of us have some mechanical aptitude, or else we would not have joined this forum. But, do you want to reveal your degree of "fix-it" skills on the ladder to the rest of us?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say I'm about a six and one-half, or seven when it comes to working on powered equipment. A level one can barely check the oil, level two can change the oil, level three can change the oil and sharpen the blade and replace the spark plug, level four can do all that and rebuild the carb and make adjustments, level five can diagnose most minor problems and fix them, up to level ten, the tradesman who can rebuild small engines, do welding, even design and build his own equipment. I am trying to be honest here about my abilities, once I get a welder for Christmas (hopefully) I can scrape the bottom rung of level 8....I WISH !!!

Come on, don't be ashamed if you can barely find the dumbstick, er, dipstick to check your oil. At one time I was that mechanically hopeless too...which is why my first mower died of engine failure....:eek:

According to your scale, I am a 10. Electrician by trade, I have taken 2 push mower engines and put them together to make 1 work. I have restore a JD H tractor and rebuilt the engine, engineered and welded a hydraulic front blade for the same tractor. Ran a mill and lathe and welded a new front end for my MTD. Change spark plugs and brakes, rotate tires and even change the timing belt on my car. Lived on a farm all my life, learned how to improvise when needed. Do I think I am a 10, no, there is always something new to learn and always fun learning it. Wife says I am a good husband and father so I guess thats all you can ask for.:thumbsup:

bret

Threads
I can honestly say I can do more on my own this year than I could last year, thanks to this forum. I am quite comfortable changing oil, spark plugs and other stuff and have even rebuilt my own mower.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
It's been about 9 years since I've worked on any equipment, but in the past I would do anything needed on small engine equipment... maintenance, fluid changes, belts, blades, tires, etc. I pulled apart several engines and put them back together, often cleaned or rebuilt parts as needed. I never tackled any big projects or restorations but with the combination of this forum and TBN would be comfortable tackling a project like that. It's amazing how much knowledge there is and how willing others are to help each other complete their projects. It almost makes me want to get back in the shop for the fun of it. :biggrin:

mumptia

Threads
I can honestly say I can do more on my own this year than I could last year, thanks to this forum. I am quite comfortable changing oil, spark plugs and other stuff and have even rebuilt my own mower.

I remember my first overhaul. I thought my chest was gona bust:biggrin:

Its a cool thing to have motors on your yard knowing you can fix them. Now, having the time is another thing.............

Best thing about being a home owner mechanics is that you don't need a full box of "maybe" tools. A standard set of wrenches up to an inch or 24mm and a 3/8 drive socket set will usually do the trick.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
According to your scale, I am a 10. Electrician by trade, I have taken 2 push mower engines and put them together to make 1 work. I have restore a JD H tractor and rebuilt the engine, engineered and welded a hydraulic front blade for the same tractor. Ran a mill and lathe and welded a new front end for my MTD. Change spark plugs and brakes, rotate tires and even change the timing belt on my car. Lived on a farm all my life, learned how to improvise when needed. Do I think I am a 10, no, there is always something new to learn and always fun learning it. Wife says I am a good husband and father so I guess thats all you can ask for.:thumbsup:

Wow, all those abilities and if your dog and/or kids love you that means you are just a superior human being...!!!!:laughing: :thumbsup:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, all those abilities and if your dog and/or kids love you that means you are just a superior human being...!!!!:laughing: :thumbsup:

I only have to cure my diabetes and bad back and I could be Superman.:cool::laughing::laughing::laughing:

jeff

Threads
I am probably an 8 or 9 on your scale. Been a mechanic all of my adult life. Worked on everything from lawnmowers to jet engines. I won't claim a 10 simply because there is always more to learn.