How adept are you, mechanically?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Obviously the majority of us have some mechanical aptitude, or else we would not have joined this forum. But, do you want to reveal your degree of "fix-it" skills on the ladder to the rest of us?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say I'm about a six and one-half, or seven when it comes to working on powered equipment. A level one can barely check the oil, level two can change the oil, level three can change the oil and sharpen the blade and replace the spark plug, level four can do all that and rebuild the carb and make adjustments, level five can diagnose most minor problems and fix them, up to level ten, the tradesman who can rebuild small engines, do welding, even design and build his own equipment. I am trying to be honest here about my abilities, once I get a welder for Christmas (hopefully) I can scrape the bottom rung of level 8....I WISH !!!

Come on, don't be ashamed if you can barely find the dumbstick, er, dipstick to check your oil. At one time I was that mechanically hopeless too...which is why my first mower died of engine failure....:eek:

grnspot110

Threads
Probably 7-8, I do weld & make some attachments, etc, but don't get into engines farther than carb. work. ~~ grnspot110

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been very fortunate and have been around machinists and great metal workers almost all my life...
Plus I have always enjoyed anything mechanical, I have owned several good lathes and mills... I would place myself... Just Very Lucky... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been very fortunate and have been around machinists and great metal workers almost all my life...
Plus I have always enjoyed anything mechanical, I have owned several good lathes and mills... I would place myself... Just Very Lucky... :smile:KennyV

Luck isn't so much a factor, nobody LEARNS by being lucky, you just applied yourself when the opportunity presented itself. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say I am in the 9-10 range. Do minor welding, Briggs and Stratton master service technician, factory authorized to warranty kohler, briggs, tecumseh, honda, yardman, yard machine, troybilt, poulan/poulan pro, murray, dolmar, solo, efco, wen, karcher, faip pressure washers, briggs pressure washers, mcculloch, rolair air compressors, brute products by briggs,

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I'm about a seven -- but I can upgrade myself if I have a good manual.:wink: I'm a firm believer in getting proper documentation, reading it carefully and doing the job correctly.

I've also been learning to weld recently.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm a firm believer in getting proper documentation, reading it carefully and doing the job correctly.

I've also been learning to weld recently.

Always try to get a manual on everything you have...
Oh, I have been learning welding for the last 40 years:laughing:... Everytime I weld something I learn something... :smile:KennyV

Driller

Threads
I wish I could say a 10, or even a 6, but while I can run and handle most anything once shown, the fixing it challenge keeps me at about a 3.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish I could say a 10, or even a 6, but while I can run and handle most anything once shown, the fixing it challenge keeps me at about a 3.

I have a favorite saying..."Everyone is talented, but with different abilities, while everyone is ignorant, but on different subjects". While it is true many of us are mechanically inclined, (myself included) I have no ability at all to play golf, or a piano. Guy I used to work with was a very good golfer, but he had a mechanical ability that didn't pass 2 on my scale.

Had I applied myself to golf, or he to fixing things, both of us may have surpassed our current skills at golf or fix-it tasks. The only way to learn is by doing...he didn't want to get his hands dirty, and I thought chasing a ball was a waste of my time.

As mentioned earlier, having good manuals for repair work is a great help, but despite having a manual, there is no substitute for common sense. I have a Chilton service manual for my Yukon XL, in the maintenance section it tells you to grease the suspension fittings. But WHY can't the freaking manual show you a diagram of where they are? Is it so hard to tell a buyer of the manual there are four fittings on the ball joints, none on the U-joints, etc? Most manuals are pretty much worthless because so much information is generic...and the expensive factory manuals are way, way too detailed for most home mechanics. I have an OEM factory manual for our two ATV's, I recently rebuilt the carb on one. The manual says "remove the carb heater connection" does it illustrate WHERE to remove it? If you try to remove it at the carb itself it will break off and be worthless. Instaed you have to remove it at a tiny plastic snap lock buried under right side panel...is it so hard to tell the reader WHERE to find the connection?

And don't get me started on those worthless, CD based manuals, no way I am going to take my $800 laptop to the barn and use one of those CD's.. CD manuals are simply WORTHLESS, give me a paper print one any day, as useless as they are...they are some help.