How adept are you, mechanically?

mois25

Threads
JD, I tend to agree with you because it is human nature to want to blame others when things go bad but the good thing about doing it yourself is the only person left to blame is YOU!

My score would be on the negative side too; at times I lack the patience to sit back and watch. I prefer to get a manual and go through it slowly.

jd335

Threads
man i would not put myself over a 5 or i would be braging but i will say i have not had to pay for a lawn mower repair in over 30 years but i grew up watching and helping the old pros that never would buy anything they would make it.

LandN

Threads
my knowledge is higher than physical abilities, that being said,i was changing plugs on the mini van last week and could not get my hands and fingers to get the back 3 plugs out,my hands/fingers dont work like they did in my younger years. And to think that years ago i use to regularly work "behind and under" dashboards of cars, now-a- days i can maybe needle nose a fuse out of the panel box. a month ago i had a heck of a time changing paddle bolts on a ss snowblower.. my mind says yes and my worn out hands /fingers say no. also i have seen pros screw up a job by being careless and rushing a job

jigbuilder

Threads
I retired in '05 as a 39 year journeyman Aircraft tool builder/tooling machinest (soft and hard tooling). About 10 years of that was a tooling sequence planner for complete fabrication of large jigs and fixtures. I've also worked in aircraft assembly and as a aircraft 'field mechanic' which is the same as a flight line mechanic, only without the A&P.
I'm a old guy that as a married kid with kids, I had to do all of my repair on my old '50s and '60s trucks/cars which included engine/manual tranny overhaul (kids are hard on clutches/drivelines and counter gear sets in those old manual trannies). At one time I was the neighbor hood guy that would overhaul the old quadrajet carbs and other carbs for his buddies.
I've also completed a small engine repair program from a tech school in '95. I was 55 and boy was the class room part hard. :confused2:
I still enjoy tinkering and fixing the mechanical things that break or need replacing but the electronic CM/computer and their systems have passed me.

I was about a 7-8 most of the time some years back but many days now I drop to a 3-4.

smitty6398

Forum Newbie
Threads
I graduated a 2yr votech course with 1400+ hours of classroom and hands-on instruction on Farm Eq. Repair in 1966. Went to work at a Eq. dealer as a welder, moved up to mechanic on FE, asked for a raise of 25cents, got a nickel to $2.75. Stuff that, the wife (and I) (+ the 8mo old) moved to Mississippi. Went to work there for $2.15 an hour, could work all the hours I wanted (no OT). Since then, we have raised 2 kids (no college),while working in the national service departments of 2 major FE manufacturers, several dealerships, a major trucking Co.,and I currently assemble machinery in a manufacturing plant; 13 years ago I started my own business-repairing mowers- on the weekends & weekday evenings. During the layoff in 09 & 10, it became full time for 15 months. Contracted out some repairs to 3 other guys doing it part-time who also weren't working.

I define being mechanically adept as: 1. Knowing when you don't have the knowlege or ability;stopping and asking someone who does. 2. Learning something new every day; even that you were wrong about something counts.

I have never done anything in my life that I didn't think someone else could do better; I would give myself a 6 or 7 overall.

P.S. I was lucky enough to receive some formal vocational training and those two years set the course for my life. I am now training young men at the plant, passing on the benefit of that experience.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I graduated a 2yr votech course with 1400+ hours of classroom and hands-on instruction on Farm Eq. Repair in 1966. Went to work at a Eq. dealer as a welder, moved up to mechanic on FE, asked for a raise of 25cents, got a nickel to $2.75. Stuff that, the wife (and I) (+ the 8mo old) moved to Mississippi. Went to work there for $2.15 an hour, could work all the hours I wanted (no OT). Since then, we have raised 2 kids (no college),while working in the national service departments of 2 major FE manufacturers, several dealerships, a major trucking Co.,and I currently assemble machinery in a manufacturing plant; 13 years ago I started my own business-repairing mowers- on the weekends & weekday evenings. During the layoff in 09 & 10, it became full time for 15 months. Contracted out some repairs to 3 other guys doing it part-time who also weren't working.

I define being mechanically adept as: 1. Knowing when you don't have the knowlege or ability;stopping and asking someone who does. 2. Learning something new every day; even that you were wrong about something counts.

I have never done anything in my life that I didn't think someone else could do better; I would give myself a 6 or 7 overall.

P.S. I was lucky enough to receive some formal vocational training and those two years set the course for my life. I am now training young men at the plant, passing on the benefit of that experience.

I like that definition -- that ties in with using a manual whenever possible. Somehow, I have a feeling that you're more than a 6 or a 7, smitty6398.:thumbsup:

Papaw50

Threads
Good thread.

I enjoy repairing almost anything I can pick up, Lawnmowers, weed whackers, fans, heaters, microwaves, lamps, you name it.

Good manuals are important, and I've got a few.
My favorite is an old hard bound training manual from the 60's or 70's on small engine repair. I go back to it often.

I look forward to learning /sharing things with you guys on this forum.

I train others at my factory, where we make paper cups.
I would probably rate myself a 5.

I recently learned how to repair my washing machine clutch.

I like this forum.
Thanks,
Gary

jteuban

Threads
I guess a 7-8. Ive done it all, repair man, troubleshooting, welding, rebuilds, fixed torn apart and all of the above.I have repaired anything refrigeration related, also cars and anything i can get ahold of that needs fixin or a redneck mod .I am the man to do anything, using one of my own redneck mods. I love doing things like this. especailly garbege picking every day you find something new. Sometimes something that you have never worked on before. I love fixing things and always have, its all i have ever known. I started fixing stuff on my own,with no help what so ever, my first mower was an F series Lawn-Boy that I knew nothing about except that it had set for many years. I am always amassed that I can do things like this because my father knows nothing about engines or any thing shop related. So I guess I learn soundly from genetics. I have never been taught anything. Just alway figured it out on my own. Stihl is my fav. brand of small lawn equipment. I do not have much experience with fixing these, because I have never had to. they always seem to work great. Cheers Guys

grass cutter

Threads
five, maybe six? I don't know how to weld, but I know how to sodder :biggrin:

mumptia

Threads
20 year sr high small engine / fab teacher here.

Not sure how you'd rate a guy like me. I can diagnose most problems that come into the shop but the real issues come when I have 30 grade 10 kids tearing down 15 engines.

Its not what's wrong with the engines that become the problem, its what they break beacause they won't ask questions or I can't get to them in time.:cool:

Did you know that a flywheel won't come off even if you use a three jaw puller and an impact if you don't take thje flywheel nut off first?:rolleyes:

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with all you wrench pullers, inexperience dor not.

We aren't quite ready for mowing up here just yet. We still have three feet of snow, but the weather guy is calling for warmer weather soon.