Hour Meter is Always On

chinookmtp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.
Mine is always on. Ferris ISX2200. Switches from engine hours to PTO hours when blades are engaged. I also use battery tender Jr. trickle charge on my equipment, motorcycle, garage queen old car, etc..my batteries last for years longer than ones I didn't use trickle charge on. Just my 2 cents.

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! It seems odd to me that the meter is always on, but I guess I don't need to worry about my battery being drained.

jviews12

Threads
I agree that the meter drain is minimal (< 10Ma). However, if it should be off, this is a symppton that MAYBE something else is on at the same time. Use your volt/ohm/amp meter and measure parasitic draw by placing meter on AMPS, moving red lead to proper hole, and connecting between battery and either black or red wire. This will tell us your parasitic drain. Your mower may need time to calm down after being off (like a car), I do not know. I do this for anything I own CAR TRUCK BOAT lawnmower etc when it first comes in so that I know where it stands on the subject. To simplify life, I have a log book where I record date, hours, and what was observed or measured for all machinery. Makes life easier, so WRITE IT DOWN.

lefty2cox

Threads
Have you checked the wiring diagram for the unit?

tschwarting

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.
I have REMOVED hour meters from machines before and yes, the meter will continue to be "on", but they don't "draw" anything. So I'm sure it won't be a draw on your battery.

ksvondrak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Grasshopper and one of the segments wouldn't work. I contacted the meter manufacturer and they sent me a new one. The new one came displaying all zeros before it was even plugged in. The old one is still sitting on my tool box and still shows the hours from when I removed it, and that was a year ago.

pshonore

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere E150 mower is the same. Hour meter always on. Almost 5 years old and no battery problems.

GrumpyCat

Threads
That I have seen (not knowing your specific model) LCD hour meters are internally powered. The display stays on all the time even when all wires are disconnected.

If you have only 2 wires then one is ground and the other is power. The meter counts when the power wire is hot. If you have an oil pressure light the hour meter is usually connected to that so as to count only when the engine is running.

ummagumma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most have a roughly 5 year, non replaceable internal battery. That is what you see "on". Tiny Tach sells a good one for $50. I have 2, one for diesel and the regular version.

lemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is an LCD display it will stay on.
A LCD only uses current when a crystal is changed by polarity.
And there is so little current needed that they even don't need a battery.
They have enough from the induction from the spark-plug-wire
Look how this one works:
click
I have a lot of these installed on my snowblowers, mowers etc.