Hour Meter is Always On

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.

TonyPrin

Threads
I'm not familiar with your model but can tell you hour meters stay on frequently, although they don't continue to register time. Drain from the battery should be minimal and some have a separate battery backup. That being said, batteries should be disconnected when the mower is not being used for a long period.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
No.
Although, it doesn’t continue to add time when not in operation.
Get you a Battery Tender Jr.

DK35vince

Threads
The hour meter on my Snapper Pro is the same way. (numbers always showing)
But it sits all winter and starts right up in the spring. Doesn't seem to affect my battery at all (even after setting for months)

Lawn Addict
Threads
My former Toro & current Scag show hours always as well. They do have back up tiny batteries in them.
but for winter or long periods I do quick-connect one of my battery MINDers....

POW123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.
The meter should turn off when not in use. I contacted Ariens about mine and they stated that yes, the meter should go off. Mine was still under warranty so they fixed the problem with replacing the meter with a new one and installing a new key assembly that cuts off that circuit when I turn it off. Haven't had a problem since.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The meter should turn off when not in use. I contacted Ariens about mine and they stated that yes, the meter should go off. Mine was still under warranty so they fixed the problem with replacing the meter with a new one and installing a new key assembly that cuts off that circuit when I turn it off. Haven't had a problem since.
I’ve owned two Gravely ZTRs and the hour meter is always showing the current hours. The elapsed time doesn’t change until the mower is running. The hour meters have an internal battery. When those internal batteries fail, a new hour meter will need to be installed.

tomsariens

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I will contact Ariens and, hopefully, have the same result as you. Did you have to take your mower to the Ariens dealer or did they send someone to you?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you. I will contact Ariens and, hopefully, have the same result as you. Did you have to take your mower to the Ariens dealer or did they send someone to you?
I honestly think that you are wasting your time. Like I said, they are designed to stay on.
We do not know what make and model of mower POW123 has or had.

POW123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I honestly think that you are wasting your time. Like I said, they are designed to stay on.
We do not know what make and model of mower POW123 has or had.
I own 6 2019 Ariens Commercial ZT Mowers and each has been upgraded for a key circuit shutoff when you turn off the ignition. By doing this I don't have to pay for battery backup.