Has anyone built his own mower?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
......Sorry "rer", but I'm not a fan of rear engines riders...or tractors for that matter......

To each his own, (see avatar) mullins, to each his own. :biggrin:

mullins87

Threads
Hehehehe, it must be due to my childhood spent on a Snapper Hi-Vac. That thing was built like a tank and lasted more than thirty years with the original engine.

rer

Threads
Before I had an ReR I wasnt a fan either. I thought of them as Forrest Gump mowers. Untill the day I Purchased and mowed 4 foot weeds:eek:. The thing must have ran forever with the Old power house:thumbsup:, and is still running today thanks to the 5.5:thumbsup:

The ReR is a mow all its own.

zsqure

Threads
My neighbor built his own mower way back in the 70's. It had 3 hyd powered reel mowers on it and two front wheels drove it and a single rear wheel turned it. It may have been a cannibalized something or other, but it was all hand built from welded tube steel and sheet. He was a machinist that had his own shop.

mullins87

Threads
My neighbor built his own mower way back in the 70's. It had 3 hyd powered reel mowers on it and two front wheels drove it and a single rear wheel turned it. It may have been a cannibalized something or other, but it was all hand built from welded tube steel and sheet. He was a machinist that had his own shop.

Any pictures????

chaffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive built a tractor to mow my grass if that counts? I will be making the mower deck itself shortly.
001-3.jpg

mullins87

Threads
Yes, that counts. Nice work!! Give us the specs.

chaffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that counts. Nice work!! Give us the specs.

Thanks, It has a 5.5 hp honda motor, powering a hydraulic pump, with drive through the rear wheels from a hydraulic motor. The direction and speed is controlled with a pedal. There is also three extra hydraulic services, and im currently making a front attachment for the mower deck, this will be lifted hydraulicaly. the mower deck will have its own motor

mullins87

Threads
That looks like a perfect platform for all sorts of attachments! You've got the mower deck covered, and I can see a front end loader and three point hitch in your future. :biggrin:

chaffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
That looks like a perfect platform for all sorts of attachments! You've got the mower deck covered, and I can see a front end loader and three point hitch in your future. :biggrin:

Oh yes! the mower will be mounted on a front end loader/front linkage type attachment (working on this currently) It will be used for cutting grass, ploughing snow, cultivating the veg plot, splitting logs and who knows what else! plenty of Kubota orange paint left yet!