Flywheel remove: black or chrome impact sockets?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recommend using a six point socket if you use chrome ones with an impact wrench. I have a mix of SnapOn and Craftsman sockets. Had to take a slight turn with a lathe on a particular size black socket to reduce it's O/D to fit the application after breaking several chrome sockets on the same job.
I have found more often than I would like where the black sockets are too big in O/D and not deep enough. I've still got some sockets that are 3/4" and 1" drive both chrome and black from my truck repair days!!!
You gotta be carefull with pullers, you can brake the bolts and damage crankshafts if you don't use the pressing screw center piece!!
Mad Mackie retired mech in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should never use standard sockets with an impact wrench because an impact wrench uses a series of internal hammers to beat on a bolt head to loosen it, as opposed to the steady torque of a wrench. The hammering effect of the impact wrench causes heat and microscopic cracks in a standard socket's metal which can lead to failure when you use a standard socket.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In an ideal world, yes, but in the real world stuff happens. With all the junk tools made in Asia that are circulating around, I've been told that they brake without the use of an impact wrench. During my over 50 years of wrenching I've had to get creative with tools to get the job done.
There are lots of junk impact tools around also, neighbor had one that the shaft broke while using a chrome socket to remove the rear wheels on one of his tractors.

fastback

Threads
Yes, to all of the above. However, I would like to add that I have a rather large assortment of Craftsman sockets and some date back 70 plus years. The older sockets have thinner walls and tend to fit in tight areas better. I have noticed that the sockets from the late 60's have side walls just a bit thicker. The newest are even thicker, I'm sure that they are from across the pond. In my opinion, the older thin walls are better than the newer sockets by leaps and bounds. I am very protective of these older tools and yes I also use chrome sockets with my air tools, but I am very selective. I use the newer expendable 6 point sockets. I do have a selection of impact sockets both 3/8 amd 1/2 inch, but sometimes they are just too bulky.

Just another opinion...

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well said fastback. I spent 24 years in the military dealing with very mixed brands of tools that comprised the tool box issued to us. Frequently I had to supplement with quality privately purchased tools to do the job. I recall issued combination wrenches that had a box end so thick that they looked like plastic toy tools from Walmart. As aircraft mechs would get together and swap tools to get more same brand named sets before we had to mark the tools to identify to whom they were issued. As time passed we were finally issued complete sets of SnapOn tools including nice roller cabinets. The tools had to be shadowed in which meant using 1/2" thick foam draw liner and mark and cut the foam to fit each tool. We also had to use double sided tape to keep the foam in place in the draws. A quick look in the draws would show if tools were missing. Absolutely no loose tools allowed, not an easy thing to comply with. Not a good thing to leave tools in an aircraft!!!
As a mech in civilian life, I had to have a shop set, mobile set in my truck, and my home tools. My wife would always give me grief when I would give her the tool receipts when she would do our taxes. I still have the receipts from the 60s to now, if I had that money now I could buy myself a new Corvette!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

fastback

Threads
Well if I had the choice, equal value of course, I would go for the tools. The tools will last a lifetime. A corvette is hard to get in and out of as you age:laughing:

benski

Threads
Well said fastback. I spent 24 years in the military dealing with very mixed brands of tools that comprised the tool box issued to us. Frequently I had to supplement with quality privately purchased tools to do the job. I recall issued combination wrenches that had a box end so thick that they looked like plastic toy tools from Walmart. As aircraft mechs would get together and swap tools to get more same brand named sets before we had to mark the tools to identify to whom they were issued. As time passed we were finally issued complete sets of SnapOn tools including nice roller cabinets. The tools had to be shadowed in which meant using 1/2" thick foam draw liner and mark and cut the foam to fit each tool. We also had to use double sided tape to keep the foam in place in the draws. A quick look in the draws would show if tools were missing. Absolutely no loose tools allowed, not an easy thing to comply with. Not a good thing to leave tools in an aircraft!!!
As a mech in civilian life, I had to have a shop set, mobile set in my truck, and my home tools. My wife would always give me grief when I would give her the tool receipts when she would do our taxes. I still have the receipts from the 60s to now, if I had that money now I could buy myself a new Corvette!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT
I'll bet you could easily buy a new Corvette with the money you've spent on tools (especially good tools:eek:!)

For me, black,six point (of course) impact sockets are the number one choice for doing impact work. They are built for the job, and typically won't break. The chroming process causes a phenomenon known as hydrogen embrittlement, which, along with the thinner metal used in regular chrome sockets, makes them more susceptible to cracking and splitting. There are times though, when all else fails, I'll take my hapless MATCO chrome socket and put it on the end of my "rattle gun"...:ashamed::frown: