Flywheel remove: black or chrome impact sockets?

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I want to remove the flywheel from a lawn tractor and I have seen people say that you should use "black impact" sockets and not chrome ones. Will I break the chrome socket? Are the black ones stronger? Whats the difference between black and chrome sockets?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want to remove the flywheel from a lawn tractor and I have seen people say that you should use "black impact" sockets and not chrome ones. Will I break the chrome socket? Are the black ones stronger? Whats the difference between black and chrome sockets?
Impact sockets are stronger than regular sockets. If you have impact sockets use them with an impact wrench. If you don't have an impact socket you can use a regular socket on a fly wheel, it might break but I doubt it.
It depends on the quality of the socket, if it splits it on your flywheel removal than it was not that good to begin with and cheap sockets are cheap to replace.

Try It!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Standard sockets are typically constructed of polished Chrome Vanadium steel and come in different grades. Manufacturers construct impact sockets of Hot Forged Chrome Vanadium steel with a significantly thicker socket wall and that's why there dark in color.
The heat treatment and thicker socket wall provides additional socket strength to the tool to prevent cracks from forming in the thinnest areas of the socket wall. Can you break a regular socket using it on an impact driver the answer would be yes but a lot would depend on the grade of socket being used and the setting on the impact driver. You will also notice that most regular sockets are twelve sided and if used with a impact driver could cause you too strip the nut or bolt you're trying to remove while impact sockets are six sided for a more secure fit so added torque and be applied and prevent striping.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use craftsman chrome sockets on impact tools and havent broke one yet removing a flywheel nut. Same thing goes for duralast chrome sockets too.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what the material difference is in the two sockets but I have used the two different sockets for the last 50 years. Now I am talking about top quality snap-on sockets. I have found when you use a chrome socket in a impact it just stretches it out of shape and you can tell it was used as such making it have a short life. When you use a impact socket (black) on a long breaker bar it will break a lot faster then a chrome socket. So I have learned through years of hard use chrome sockets for hand wrenches and black impact sockets for impact wrenches for a long socket life. And yes I will exchange the two yet in a pinch. I am also talking about 6 point sockets in both types.

LandN

Threads
strongest set-up is a high quality short length 6 pt.impact socket directly on impact gun or breaker bar.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
strongest set-up is a high quality short length 6 pt.impact socket directly on impact gun or breaker bar.

Impact socket on a breaker bar, sounds good to me, just the rules in my tool box are different. Impact socket for impact wrench only or use your own tools.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm half tempted to go impact sockets on everthing. Meaning using impact sockets on ratchets too.

LandN

Threads
I'm half tempted to go impact sockets on everthing. Meaning using impact sockets on ratchets too.

it's also good to have thin walls too,sometimes nuts and bolts are in some tight spots.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

There is nothing wrong with that, you do what you want with your tools. What I said in my post was with a long breaker bar. You also have to use your head a little. You don't put a 7/16 deep socket on the end of a three foot breaker bar 3/8 drive and tuque it over 400 foot lbs. I also said in a pinch I will mix them. High quality tools are very expensive so I try very hard not to miss use them. Sockets aren't the only tools I have rules on also.