Engines...

Which Engine?

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Oh crap! I just voted on my own poll!

I forgot that I created it :laughing:

I voted Tecumseh by the way, as since posting the poll, my Briggs & Stratton managed to get a bent flywheel, and my friends Tecumseh is still going strong. That decided it for me.

Oddball

Threads
I voted B&S, but its really not a fair comparison for me to make since I've owned or used many B&S engines, but only one Tecumseh. To be fair, the Tecumseh was a reliable, powerful and trouble free engine for 10 years and I'm sure its still going strong if the new owner has treated it right.

jamesslcx

Threads
H everyone both engine seem very reliable, I have push mowers with Honda ,Kohler and Briggs and I have tt say my favorite is the Briggs, it will do everything the others will do just as well and I paid a lot less for it.

Sledge740

Forum Newbie
Threads
To me the Tecumseh motors are OK, but the carbs on them are a pain in the exhaust. I have 4 or 5 tecs laying around because the carbs don't work even after being rebuilt and gone through a couple of times looking for mistakes that I may have made. I can rebuild a B&S carb with leftover parts in no time.

jakesmurray

Threads
To me the Tecumseh motors are OK, but the carbs on them are a pain in the exhaust. I have 4 or 5 tecs laying around because the carbs don't work even after being rebuilt and gone through a couple of times looking for mistakes that I may have made. I can rebuild a B&S carb with leftover parts in no time.

Yep, I am tuning up my neighbors snow blower that has a little 3.8 HP Tecumseh on it, and the carb is trashed and still doesn't work after I completely cleaned it 3 times! It will run when I pour gas straight into it. I am thinking I will have to get a brnad new carb, I guess. :licking:

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Im sold on older briggs flathead motors, seeing my oldest one is nearly 41 years old next week- my whole collection is of worn out abused tractors in non running shape when acquired - lil cleaning, fresh oil and they run like new- even ones that had water up to the carb run. Theyre the best running most powerful motors ive had.

I have a few OHV motors, im not impressed with them- lack of power is one reason. They could be made into powerhouses tho with some aftermarket pieces and a bunch of cash.

I have a teccy motor- 12HP OHV ( had a few more , but those are long gone) - my teccy is a pretty strong motor, but had to get a rebuilt carb first ( throttle shaft bushings were gone- for $25 and my old carb it was a cheep fix) and then noticed oil puking from the breather ( most likely valve seals are gone) - when the muffler fell apart it had NO power at all. I just dont like em. Sometime ill drag it out and slap it on something.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...my whole collection is of worn out abused tractors in non running shape when acquired - lil cleaning, fresh oil and they run like new-

Now this makes No sense ... it sounds like they were only needing "an oil change" to run "like new"... as "lil cleaning" should not cause change from worn out to like new...???
What kind of 'fresh oil' are you changing to that takes a 'worn out tractor to like new'?
:smile:KennyV

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
The PO's pretty much parked em because of other issues - broken steering, bad decks- stuff like that - motors run fine after cleaning the carb, changing the oil( dirty/filled with old gas), fresh gas, ect - rest of the tractor usually needs a ton of work tho- those are the worn out parts, not the motors .

Ive picked up a few tractors that sat for so long, they had weeds growing from the seat , but the motors were fine. Why most the tractors i have were free to $75 - they just didnt feel like fixing them any longer.

I probably shouldve worded my last post better.

Ariena

Threads
Kohler and B&S.
I like Shredded Wheat and Vaseline (Ummmmm!)