Engines...

Which Engine?

• Total voters

Black Bart

Threads
My guess is that many on here are too young to remember the good Tecumseh engines.
I bought a new 12hp in 1967 it was cast iron block Timken roller bearing and chrome rings and sodium filled valves it took a terrible beating and kept going and going. :thumbsup:

jeff

Threads
Once Tec was a very good engine, I always think of the old cast iron ones when Imention this. I voted for Briggs because they, unlike Tec kept up with quality control and have never tried to produce an engine with questiionable reliability.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Wow! 11 unanimous votes for Briggs & Stratton!

My friend's Tecumseh is from 1993 though, so was that when Tec was still making good engines ?

As his engine has over 7,000 hours on it, without a single rebuild.

Just gas and oil, that's all!

jakesmurray

Threads
Briggs ans Stratton rules, they bought Murray and now make parts for Murray mowers under Briggs name. I love that company!

benski

Threads
Of the two, I guess Briggs for me as well. I do remember some rather bulletproof Tec's from my youth, surviving on go-karts and the like for 2 seasons, which was remarkable.:laughing::biggrin:

sss

Threads
i own both those engines and more like kawsaki gpp engine teck etc briggs and kawsaki i always find the best:smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow! 11 unanimous votes for Briggs & Stratton!

My friend's Tecumseh is from 1993 though, so was that when Tec was still making good engines ?

As his engine has over 7,000 hours on it, without a single rebuild.

Just gas and oil, that's all!

7,000 hr.s on a lawn mower engine without a OH. boy you sure can't beat that. That is one tough Tecumseh. I got nowhere near that many hours on my log spliter's Tecumseh before it needed a ring and valve job. As far as that goes it is getting about ready for its secont OH. I have always used SAE 30 in this engine.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread has been moved to the new Polls Forum. :biggrin:

Black Bart

Threads
7,000 hr.s on a lawn mower engine without a OH. boy you sure can't beat that. That is one tough Tecumseh. I got nowhere near that many hours on my log spliter's Tecumseh before it needed a ring and valve job. As far as that goes it is getting about ready for its secont OH. I have always used SAE 30 in this engine.

Triple the life of that engine by using a 5-40 like T-6 instead of the 30W :thumbdown:
You are wearing it out running it without cylinder lubrication at start up.

Put something that is not like molasses in it and it will last.:smile:

Danbike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Engines...Why no selection for LAWNBOY

LAWNBOY. Blue smoke means YUPPIES stay away.