Buying new mower help me decide

Carl in CT

Threads
Wow, that's some serious discounts you are looking at. I think that would definitely turn my head their way to at least go check one out in person.

I took a quick look at their website and the ZT offers either the Kohler Courage or the Briggs Pro motor. The Kohler Courage is not even on par with the Command which is not good so I would run fast from that option. The Briggs Pro might be great, might not be great, I just don't know much about them. Now, the ZT Commercial is a $1,000 more but they offer it with the Briggs Vanguard on all 3 deck choices. That is a true commercial motor on what appears to be a commercial build ZTR with bigger tires, heavier duty hydo tranny, etc. If you can get at least $750 discount and you like the Bad Boy I'd definitely pony up the extra to get the Commercial ZT with the Vanguard motor and whichever deck you want. Is the dealer near you and seem like a good outfit that will work with you if you ever need anything after the purchase?

BTW, did you ever get a chance to test drive that Simplicity on some bumpy ground and see if the suspension is worth anything?

Black Bart

Threads
Wow, that's some serious discounts you are looking at. I think that would definitely turn my head their way to at least go check one out in person.

I took a quick look at their website and the ZT offers either the Kohler Courage or the Briggs Pro motor. The Kohler Courage is not even on par with the Command which is not good so I would run fast from that option. The Briggs Pro might be great, might not be great, I just don't know much about them. Now, the ZT Commercial is a $1,000 more but they offer it with the Briggs Vanguard on all 3 deck choices. That is a true commercial motor on what appears to be a commercial build ZTR with bigger tires, heavier duty hydo tranny, etc. If you can get at least $750 discount and you like the Bad Boy I'd definitely pony up the extra to get the Commercial ZT with the Vanguard motor and whichever deck you want. Is the dealer near you and seem like a good outfit that will work with you if you ever need anything after the purchase?

BTW, did you ever get a chance to test drive that Simplicity on some bumpy ground and see if the suspension is worth anything?[/QUOTE]NO I did not get to check them out Simplicity halted production for about 3 weeks so he did not get them.

The price of the Bad Boy is much more than what is listed on their web site.
Dealer mark up set up charge and state and local Taxes adds another 500 bucks or more.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
On RFDTV the Bad Boy Owners/Reps said there should be no set up - dealer just puts gas in and it is ready to go. ????? I'd mention that and ask why there is a "set up charge". Small mark up - maybe. I might also ask that question on the Bad Boy web site !!!!
[/QUOTE] The price of the Bad Boy is much more than what is listed on their web site.
Dealer mark up set up charge and state and local Taxes adds another 500 bucks or more.[/QUOTE]

Black Bart

Threads
On RFDTV the Bad Boy Owners/Reps said there should be no set up - dealer just puts gas in and it is ready to go. ????? I'd mention that and ask why there is a "set up charge". Small mark up - maybe. I might also ask that question on the Bad Boy web site !!!!
The price of the Bad Boy is much more than what is listed on their web site.
Dealer mark up set up charge and state and local Taxes adds another 500 bucks or more.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]Thanks the local TSC is marking them up but it states on the Bad Boy web site that their posted price may be higher at some dealers.

Bad Boy site has this next to the price. Subject to change. Destination and setup charges not included.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do what you like, but I would still ask them what was included in the set up charge since they are supposed to be "ready to go" from the factory (except for gas).
I hate dealers (car, truck, or tractor) charging for something they don't do.

Let us know what you decide. :thumbsup:

Waterr

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD

@Black Bart: I finally ordered JD Z445 + mulch kit.

Carl in CT

Threads
Re: JD

Congrats Waterr, enjoy your new machine! Let us all know how you like it and pics are always appreciated.

Black Bart

Threads
Re: JD

Congratulations on the new mower I'm sure you will like it.
Report back and let us know what you think about the mulching kit.
My local JD dealer told be it worked ok as long as I mowed every 2 days but you must not cut more than an inch at a time.

I do not cut that often I cut more like 2 inches when I mow.

Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads
I went to town today to look at the Bad Boy mowers and they are built like a tank.
It is much heavier built than Simplicity or the Ztrack JD but I would sooner have a sister in a whore house than have to mow with one.

This mower is not for an old man the front deck is real short and while it is hard to get up on it getting off of it is a nightmare.
I got my clothes caught in the levers while trying to get off no room to stand.

The lean back on the seat practically lays you down if you lean back in the seat.
While leaning back in the seat I could just barley reach the levers but in order to make it go forward I had to lean over and mowing for a couple hours leaning over with a bad back just ain't going to happen.

I have not set on the Simplicity yet still waiting on them to come in so don't know how they will sit but have got on and off of the Z445 and not only was it comfortable to sit on it but was no problem getting off of it.

It is a dam shame that Bad Boy spent so much time designing a sturdy built mower but totally forgot about ergonomics.

Probably would not be all that bad for a young person but I sure won't be buying one not even with the big discount that I was going to get.
Sure was a big disappointment when I first looked at it and knowing what the price was I thought I was going home with it but that all changed when I got on it and sit down.

Waterr

Forum Newbie
Threads