Buying new mower help me decide

Black Bart

Threads
I'm curious - was it just a 'crap gasket' kinda problem? Poor design? Overheating? Poor machining?I said in another thread that Kohler seemed to be resting on their laurels, and making junkier and junkier engines through the years........
I don't know all he said was they blow head gasket's

I always warm my engine up before putting them to work but I notice all my neighbors just start them and start mowing.

Some people would break a piece of railroad iron.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some people would break a piece of railroad iron.

Ain't THAT the absolute truth?

Just wondered if my perception of Kohler was right, or if I was just pining for the old cast-iron days. Didn't Kohler have a problem a few years back, with the bearings frying, and throwing rods on low-hour engines?

Waterr

Forum Newbie
Threads
2011 Z445

@twall:

What worth the new engine (27HP John Deere Cyclonic Engine - Briggs & Stratton ELS) on the new 2011 JD Z445 ?

Good or bad ?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: 2011 Z445

@twall:

What worth the new engine (27HP John Deere Cyclonic Engine - Briggs & Stratton ELS) on the new 2011 JD Z445 ?

Good or bad ?

Depends on if JD keeps it - if they keep it in their lineup for a good 5 or 10 years - then I'd say you got a winner as far as being able to fix it. If JD abandons B&S and goes even cheaper in 3 or 4 years, then I'm not sure - it would depend on how much of this engine is JD-only.

ANY engine you can't get parts for is a bad engine, IMHO.....it's just when will it break? Yes, a Kaw will break a lot later than a B&S will - but, if you can't get parts, and the B&S guy can get parts over and over for his engine, and all you can get is (maybe) filters?

You tell me which one is better. I've been through the Kaw parts hell, and I can tell you I didn't say "hell" without meaning it. I still have a RX75 I can't get running for carb issues.........and I cannot get a rebuild kit, even if I sold my soul to the Devil himself. :frown: I can get a new carb....to the tune of $200.........and that is for an engine I have no clue how many hours are on it, or how it was maintained......

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just HAD to comment on the "some people could break a piece of railroad iron"
I have a neighbor who is well enough off to have a "handyman" He said that "Robert could break an anvil" He has a LARGE JD 4wd Farm Tractor (don't know the model) and Robert bent one of the lift arms on the FEL so badly it couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. :eek:

Carl in CT

Threads
Well, I'd say your choice comes down to a simple test drive of each and a gut feel for which one you like better. Both are good machines overall but both have drawbacks, just like everything else. I still have to think that the Simplicity's suspension has got to do something for it but it might not move much until you get it moving along and the full weight of the machine and rider come into play rather than just pushing on it in the showroom. My pickup's suspension doesn't move much until I put a little weight in it and drive it down a bumpy back road. So if you test drive the Simplicity find some bumps and hit them good and see what happens.

twall, thanks for the enlightenment on the Kawasaki "parts hell". I always rank Kawasaki as one of the best but I have never had to fix one. Most of my experience with them was before all of the ethanol in the gas that kills carbs. I still think Kawasaki makes one heck of a good motor for overall quality but your point is well taken about factoring in long term cost of ownership (and level of frustration/blood pressure). Change is good but yearly change is planned obsolescence and a profit grab by Kawasaki.

I read and responded to your comments about Kohler in that other thread and could not agree more. They are certainly not what they used to be unfortunately for folks like me who got royally burned by them. Yes I bash Kohler every chance I get because they cost me a lot of money and had a "too bad, screw you" attitude so they deserve every ounce of mud I can sling at them.

As far as breaking stuff, my buddy is famous for it and I think he is strangely proud of it. He likes to say, "If at first you don't succeed, force it". He cracks me up but I don't let him use my stuff.

Black Bart

Threads
Just HAD to comment on the "some people could break a piece of railroad iron"
I have a neighbor who is well enough off to have a "handyman" He said that "Robert could break an anvil" He has a LARGE JD 4wd Farm Tractor (don't know the model) and Robert bent one of the lift arms on the FEL so badly it couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. :eek:
When it comes to operating machinery some people don't have a clue.

I have a neighbor that leaves his car sit out because his garage is full of stuff and when he starts it on a zero morning he revs it up to about 5000rpm drops it down to idle than guns it again.:eek:

After a minute of that he takes off down the road like he was in a drag race.
Strange thing is he has had to replace the engine in both his car and his pickup.

I wonder why :biggrin:

Black Bart

Threads
I had a big game changer last night, I was talking to a friend that works where they sell Bad Boy mowers and he said if I want one of those he can buy it for me at employee discount and that would be $750 to $1500 dollars depending on what model I bought.:eek: :thumbsup:

I see this as a big game changer in what I should buy. :licking::smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I saw one the other day and have seen their "show" on RFDTV They seem to be full of features that make them easy to work on if they need work and they are built HEAVY DUTY !:biggrin: :thumbsup:

I'd go with it if you can get that kind of discount ! :thumbsup:

Black Bart

Threads
I was looking on their web site and looks like they offer B&S or Kohler on 50" deck but only Kohler on the 60" deck.
I was thinking about getting a 60" but not crazy about the Kohler.