Buying new mower help me decide

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As for my bad luck with the ZT2800, as far as I am able to determine mine is the only one with noise issues.

... Deere does NOT offer their 30 day satisfaction protection on the zt, and this I find interesting.

There are more than a few complaints about the whine... There are not "yet" very many failures... :smile:KennyV

Lawnpro1969

Threads
I have used nothing but John Deere for 24 years. I would say get the John Deere I have never had any trouble with the John Deere

Sent from my iPad using LMF

Jetblast

Threads
There are more than a few complaints about the whine... There are not "yet" very many failures... :smile:KennyV

The ZT-2800 has been used for five years or more by every major ZTR manufacturer, with thousands of installations totaling countless thousands of service hours. Due to the unitized design they are a little more prone to transient micro-cavitations (whine) than separate pump and wheel motors, so there are one or two mentions of this on the web, but I can find no evidence to support the idea that they're failure prone.

You've mentioned more than once that you think they're not desirable components. What's your basis for saying that?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... they are a little more prone to transient micro-cavitations (whine) than separate pump and wheel motors, so there are one or two mentions of this on the web, but I can find no evidence to support the idea that they're failure prone.

You've mentioned more than once that you think they're not desirable components. What's your basis for saying that?

There are a lot of the big guys using them... you are right. & they do cut weight and bulk, they are easier to install...
I myself would prefer the component system rather than the integral ... But the trend is definitely toward the latter...
There may be sparse mention on the web about the wine... in actual use, those that have been using pump & motor systems definitely notice, and mention it... I do not know that they will in fact fail, that's why I added, "There are not "yet" very many failures..."... I have not had good experience with machinery that has that level of audible complaint...
For all that are showing up, I do hope they develop a good track record... For the time,if given the choice, I will look for the separate system... :smile:KennyV

Jetblast

Threads
There are a lot of the big guys using them... you are right. & they do cut weight and bulk, they are easier to install...
I myself would prefer the component system rather than the integral ... But the trend is definitely toward the latter...
There may be sparse mention on the web about the wine... in actual use, those that have been using pump & motor systems definitely notice, and mention it... I do not know that they will in fact fail, that's why I added, "There are not "yet" very many failures..."... I have not had good experience with machinery that has that level of audible complaint...
For all that are showing up, I do hope they develop a good track record... For the time,if given the choice, I will look for the separate system... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for your explaining your reasoning. Getting a choice is the gotcha here as more and more consumer and light commercial machines go this route. For someone who has two or three acres, a $10K plus commercial machine is nowhere near the apogee of the cost/performance curve, so this is what we're offered. That said, from the data I'm seeing and the performance I'm experiencing so far from the ZT-3100s on my mower, it appears that things are going much better for these newer serviceable integrated transaxles than they did for the early sealed EZTs. They may whine at times, but I have far better places to put the thousands of dollars I saved by choosing this level of mower for my 2.5 acres. Seeing that your property is "11-20" acres, your position is understandable for the different situation.

Last edited:

delta

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have owned both brands and hands down the simplicity whops jd. just the cut of the simplicity speaks for itself!:thumbsup: i went down that road and wish someone would have told me because u never get lost time or money back, so good luck!!!! thx delta

Lawnpro1969

Threads
I still say the John Deere is the better choice. The John Deere service is great you can get parts next day if needed.I'm not sure if the other companies offer that. I have had a lot of good luck with the Kawasaki engines never had any luck with the Briggs engine.the John Deere will be worth more later if you sell it or trade it in

Sent from my iPad using LMF

benski

Threads
I've had good luck with the Simplicity equipment I've had.

Black Bart

Threads
The dealer where I bought mine from said that the trend is toward the gear drive unit even on the high $$$$$$$$ commercial machines.
The pump & motor system are being used less and will be rare in the future.

I'm not hard on equipment I bought a new 430 JD in 1985 not put a wrench to it to this day.
Bought a new JD 180 in 1986 not done anything other than change oil on it so far.

If the new ZTR is half that good I will be dead and buried before it fails

With a bad back trimming is really hard to do with a hand mower and with this smaller ZTR I will be able to get much more of those small hard to get too places and reduce the amount of hand work and that is why I want this instead of using my tractor.

robert

Threads
I am not saying the ZT2800's on my Exmark whine, they scream AND the darn thing doesn't even budge. Today I discovered that when it does this if I pull back into reverse, then push forward the mower will move with no unusual noise.

Is the ZT3100 significantly different?