Buy American

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes! American manufacturers are sourcing many of their parts from other countries. They want the cheapest parts in order to increase profits. Then they implore us to "Buy American" and load their television ads with misty-eyed patriotic nonsense.

could not agree more...
I am incensed by the advertising tactics used in this country, time and time again. But, that is another post. Can you imagine what the advertising buget is for Geico! and the profits!? .....trying to make you believe that your car insurance and it's policy is not worth reading by oversimplifying...., "don't worry about it" "just pay the premium":mad

when I can find a quality product that is actually made in the USA and it does not cost a great deal more, I will support the company that has chosen to hire American workers and keep their business in this country. It is not always possible to find those products, but I do my best.
I commend you for this....
Now I'm done....really!....done!

mystreba

Threads
I will support the company that has chosen to hire American workers and keep their business in this country. It is not always possible to find those products, but I do my best.

Nothin' wrong with that.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
This whole "Buy American" debate sort of makes me laugh.......Americans invented the capitalist system.....The person who makes the best product for the best price is going to sell the most and therefore become the richest....It used to be called the American way.......

Now, we have to remind the masses to buy American?...Why is this so?......American products should be able to stand on their own merits.....If they cant, the people are not going to buy them....we should need no reminder.....Up to you folks.....Thats the American way

Of course, now someone will come back that the Chinese just steal all the American ideas and duplicate them....Well, if thats the case, they should be brought up on charges or the American government should not allow them to be imported......That aint gonna happen, so I guess its alright.......

I remember when I was a kid, there was the same regard for Japanese junk....now they make some of the best products in the world....see a trend?

Point is, American companies need to adapt to the times..........If they dont they are screwed,,,,,all the rah rah, buy American talk isnt going to do a thing.

I agree with you 100%. We made the system, and it was fine when we were the only real player....now that the Japanese, and Chinese, and Koreans, and Mexicans, and everyone else is kicking our butts daily, we seem to think its a crime they can beat us at our own system. True, the Chinese will duplicate anything, regardless of patents. But, that is because no one seems to be ENFORCING those patents, or boycotting countries that disregard them.

I, as an American, get annoyed by the cheerleading too. All the flag-waving and rah rah won't change that our society is based on a $50,000/yr per person average (which I make about HALF of that). Unions have a lot to do with that. The Chinese exist on a HELUVA lot less than that. Therefore, they are more competitive. We had a civil war based supposedly on slavery, but we can't seem to buy enough from the slave-labor countries (political prisoners, or otherwise), these days. So, did we really care through the years? Or, did just ONE generation really care about it?

It's sad we can't compete in our own capitalistic system. I'm all for tariffs. But, that's only our 'cheating' to compete with their 'cheating'.......OY! Will it EVER stop? Nope.

fastback

Threads
I buy American whenever I don't buy Chineese:confused2: Seriously, I alway try to buy American but the problem now is the cost. I have a number of old american made tools such as Brigdgeport, Southbend lathe, Delta tablesaw, Delta shaper & lathe. The list goes on and on but to buy new American made is out of my reach. I wonder if there is anyway back or is it too late.

Yes, the stuff from Japan was some of the worst stuff you could buy back in the early 50"s. I remember that wind up toys were lucky to last 15 minutes. Now somee of the best quality stuff comes from Japan.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, in our machine shop, we use Doosan (Korean) CNC lathes, and are replacing the Hadrdinge (US made just a few hours away) CNC lathes with them. For the same $125,000 - we can get a dual-spindle machine compared to the US machine's single-spindle. They hold up just as well, too. I run them.

Mitutoyo measuring equipment is quickly eclipsing Brown&Sharpe and Starrett as the standard for measurement - and they are Japanese. Why? COST, and the fact that the Asian stuff is as good/better than the American stuff made by union employees, I'm sorry to say. I truly am SORRY to say......:frown:

You can't chant "buy American - it costs more, but is better" any more at all. The Asians have our number, and can produce what we do with the same quality at one-tenth the price. To disagree with this is to bury your head in the sand. This is an impossible situation we are in. Why? because we no longer require CRAFTSMEN, just button-pushing machine babysitters, which can be done by anyone, myself included. This began in the 80's with computerized robotic machinery that could give great, consistent results without the craftsmen. Thanks to the unquechable thirst for profits. That's it.

So, we can now drown in it. The owners won't........but we craftsmen will. We are no longer needed in a 'educated' society of button-pushing drones. It's just plain sad, and it is irreversable.

Last edited:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sure there are many examples of things that are made better for less outside the US, but I'll give you a few examples of things I have found that (for me) are better and worth any extra cost.
Diamond Gusset Jeans :thumbsup:
Bully Tools :thumbsup:
Patriot Kitchen Utensils :thumbsup:
VENTRAC :thumbsup: find another machine that will do what this will for less ???
There are a number of Dog Foods and Treats made in USA with better ingredients and don't cost more than "made in ?????"

There ARE things out there that you can find that are better and worth a little extra cost.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
.....I say - fix the tax code and let the free market do its thing.
Just my opinion :wink:

That, indeed is simplistic tea-party rhetoric.

The reason they [American compaies] go overseas is NOT primarily Taxes; nor is it because of wages. It is expenditures like OSHA regulation compliance, EPA compliance, and Union pension and healthcare packages that make overseas business so welcoming. A few business owners near (but not AT) the top would like to pay less in taxes, and their boo hoos are what makes the nightly news. Most TRULY huge corporatons pay less in taxes (ALL TAXES) than an induvidual working for them pays in federal, state, and school taxes. ONE PERSON. What saves them the billions is not having to repaint every single walkway line, because OSHA saw a chip on a guardrail. Or being able to dump what they want, where they want. Or giving no safety protection, no health insurance, and no protections whatsoever to their workers. THAT is why they flock to a TRULY "free" place to do their business. All profit, no responsibility.

I THINK I don't support China's policies when it comes to the environment, their workers rights, or Safety for ANYTHING. However, if I can get a dial test indicator from the USA for $170, or one of very comparable quality for $30? Well, making under $35k a year - you tell me which makes more sense. So, in essence, I AM supporting China. If our country saw the inequities between us, and tariffed the heck outa Chinese goods to bring them in line with US goods? Well, I'd be out a dial test indicator altogether, now wouldn't I? :wink:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sure there are many examples of things that are made better for less outside the US, but I'll give you a few examples of things I have found that (for me) are better and worth any extra cost.
Let's break that list down:
Diamond Gusset Jeans :thumbsup:

My Dickies are fine with me......:wink: Dunno where THEY are made.....
Bully Tools :thumbsup:
Most tools, even made in India, are fine with my needs, since I use them so little, then Matco tops my list, but I am not sure of all THEIR origins, either.
Patriot Kitchen Utensils :thumbsup:
I have faberware stuff that's 10 years old, and still in daily use.....
VENTRAC :thumbsup: find another machine that will do what this will for less ???
I WILL give you that one...:wink: :thumbsup:
There are a number of Dog Foods and Treats made in USA with better ingredients and don't cost more than "made in ?????"
I don't have a dog, nor will I EVER.......

There ARE things out there that you can find that are better and worth a little extra cost.

Yes, but they are few and far between that can TRULY justify the added cost to my meager paycheck.....sorry.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Notice I said it works for me - I don't expect anyone to live beyond their means just to buy American.

Those that can afford it and find something that will work for them will make a difference - maybe a small difference, but a difference. :smile:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Notice I said it works for me - I don't expect anyone to live beyond their means just to buy American.

Those that can afford it and find something that will work for them will make a difference - maybe a small difference, but a difference. :smile:

Believe me, BK, if I got paid the $50k/yr "average", I would insist on nothing less than all-American goods, I truly would. Even in the dial test indicator example above, if the difference was $50 USA product, $30 China - I'd go American all the way. But almost 6 TIMES the price? That is insane.

Another example: Blake manufacturing offers a coaxial indicator (for centering a mill) for $300. I bought one for $50 on ebay, brand new from a seller of Chinese goods. That INCLUDED the shipping! That is again 6 times the price for an American good. I would have loved to get the Blake.....but I can't.......and that coax indicator is a real time-saver in setup! I can do it with an indicator, but it takes awhile - whereas the coax takes literally seconds!

Being a shop teacher, you may be familiar with the Blake Coax.

Last edited: