Already thinking about leaf cleanup

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well my mind is set. I am going to get the 770T. I think it will be worth it. And I am going to get the tube-mounted throttle so that way if I really want to blow some leaves I can have my handheld blower in my left hand, and the backpack blower tube in the right hand (I wouldn't really do that-haha). I am going to get it at the end of August so I can have all of September to "break it in" and get used to the controls before the leaf season begins in October. Can't wait.

The 770 is a good blower, the problem I have with it is it's weight being just over 24 lbs and the noise it makes and I'm not talking about db, I'm talking about the sound itself. The 770 and for that matter most all the two strokes unless or except some of the smaller units are just nasty sounding. Personally if I'm a client I'd prefer listening to the the four stroke units over a two.

The thing your not considering is the sound. You use the db scale to compare sound and that's fine if your comparing the same type units. 73 db is 73 db. but that 73 db sound you get from your hand held that has a 25cc engine isn't going to any where close to a 75db from a back pack that's running a 64 cc size engine. I ran a BR 380 back pack for years and it was a great blower but being a two stroke, like the two strokes it earned it's name of screamer for a reason. That 770 is going to be twice as loud as your HH.

In comparing the BR 380 to the BR 600 that I use now I can tell you that you that the four stroke 600 isn't half as loud as the 380.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like my Stihl BR 600 and my KM 90 trimmer!!
But I always wear hearing protection!!

Threads
Here's the thing. I am definitely going Echo. I don't want to have different brands of power equipment. It'd just easier with one. So my options are this. I get the 580. It's not as powerful, but it's a little quieter. Or I get the 770 and people can deal with the noise. Or I spend more money and get the 760LN. Same engine as the 770, but very quiet. You decide.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's the thing. I am definitely going Echo. I don't want to have different brands of power equipment. It'd just easier with one. So my options are this. I get the 580. It's not as powerful, but it's a little quieter. Or I get the 770 and people can deal with the noise. Or I spend more money and get the 760LN. Same engine as the 770, but very quiet. You decide.

I don't know why it would be easier with one brand than the other or mixing brands would be easier. I don't care what you buy, the point I'm trying to make is don't be surprised at how loud and nasty these things are going to be compared to what your running now. I mean you don't double or more than double engine size and get something that's going to be less noisy with a blower. A two stroke like the four stroke have there own unique sounds all the own and you can definitely tell them apart. It's kinda like running or comparing a 6 cylinder turbo against a big V8, even though the 6 can have more Hp than the 8 the 8 always sounds better.

Personally if you like Echo I'd check out the Shin 854rt it's only $30 more.

Threads
I don't know why it would be easier with one brand than the other or mixing brands would be easier. I don't care what you buy, the point I'm trying to make is don't be surprised at how loud and nasty these things are going to be compared to what your running now. I mean you don't double or more than double engine size and get something that's going to be less noisy with a blower. A two stroke like the four stroke have there own unique sounds all the own and you can definitely tell them apart. It's kinda like running or comparing a 6 cylinder turbo against a big V8, even though the 6 can have more Hp than the 8 the 8 always sounds better.

Personally if you like Echo I'd check out the Shin 854rt it's only $30 more.

So the stihl 4 mix uses straight gas? I will consider it if you think it'd worth it. But I still prefer and am leaning towards the Echo. I will probably wear headphones on top of ear plugs anyway. I take my hearing seriously. And I know I might change my mind if I buy it, but I still think the backpack blower would be a seasonal thing, as the handheld is convenient for grass cutting. So I will have my quiet handheld 3/4 the mowing season.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So the stihl 4 mix uses straight gas? I will consider it if you think it'd worth it. But I still prefer and am leaning towards the Echo. I will probably wear headphones on top of ear plugs anyway. I take my hearing seriously. And I know I might change my mind if I buy it, but I still think the backpack blower would be a seasonal thing, as the handheld is convenient for grass cutting. So I will have my quiet handheld 3/4 the mowing season.

No The Stihl doesn't use straight gas the 4 mix uses the same mixture as your echo 2 strokes, a 50 to 1 mix. If you want the echo then buy the echo that's way I suggested the Shindiawa 854RT. That's the reason Yamabiko purchased Shindiawa. The echo and shin are made in the same place and the 854RT is their 4 mix engine. The also have a hand held (EB344) that's a 4 mix. As far as the Stihl being a better unit I'll tell you all day long they can't be beat but in reality it's a matter of personal preference.

Threads
No The Stihl doesn't use straight gas the 4 mix uses the same mixture as your echo 2 strokes, a 50 to 1 mix. If you want the echo then buy the echo that's way I suggested the Shindiawa 854RT. That's the reason Yamabiko purchased Shindiawa. The echo and shin are made in the same place and the 854RT is their 4 mix engine. The also have a hand held (EB344) that's a 4 mix. As far as the Stihl being a better unit I'll tell you all day long they can't be beat but in reality it's a matter of personal preference.

Ok thanks for the info I was not familiar with how the 4 mix worked.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Stihl BR 600 gives you light weight, low noise, serious airflow and right hand trigger throttle on the air tube.
It has a four stroke engine, but uses 50 to 1 premix fuel, Stihl synthetic oil for reduced carbon buildup.
It is a premix engine as it has no oil sump.

Last edited:
Threads
The Stihl BR 600 gives you light weight, low noise, serious airflow and right hand trigger throttle on the air tube.
It has a four stroke engine, but uses 50 to 1 premix fuel, Stihl synthetic oil for reduced carbon buildup.
It is a premix engine as it has no oil sump.

That's one reason I don't want a Stihl....I run Echo 2 cycle mix and don't want another can just for my Stihl oil mix. But I am willing to try something new if I can get more bang for my buck.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's one reason I don't want a Stihl....I run Echo 2 cycle mix and don't want another can just for my Stihl oil mix. But I am willing to try something new if I can get more bang for my buck.

Not to start a oil fight. But you can use the echo mix. Heck you can use any brand 2 cycle oil.
I got a very good deal on a few cases of cheap 2cycle dollar store oil.
Been using it for 3 years now in everything.