Raptor SD recall

Tta197

Threads
Re: Here's a copy of the clutch recall / service bulletin

Have you contacted Hustler and advised them that the dealer incorrectly advised you??? I would be afraid that doing it myself would have a negative impact on my ZTR's warranty:0(

As far as Hustler is concerned they think the service bulletin was complied with by the selling dealer since he claimed it was done.

Mtmellum

Threads
Hi All,

new member in Canada researching new ZTR for medium (1.5 acre) sloped area with good established gardens and clean lawns. In my research, I came across this thread and started to get concerned. still find the raptor SD to be very hard to beat, gravely, bad boy, husqvarna and JD all researched. Contacted a Hustler rep up here and he was fantastic in his response. He indicated that the units up here have all had the recall done. He also said that very few export units where affected as the problem was rectified on the builds once they found the issue.

Hustler seems to have responded well in my opinion. Granted, I can see peoples perspective of why wasn't this part of the R&D testing and proving. is Hustler a fly by nighter? in my limited dealings so far, Ive found them great. staying away from model specific issues (which we can find for any model & manufacturer), they are a serious contender. The raptor SD features for the price point, is way in front. Is it perfect , no, but which unit is at $4K? its not a entry machine but its not pro either.

if it was 5500 - 6 price point then I'd expect a different discussion and would have a different view.

regards

RaptorSD

Threads
Hi All,

new member in Canada researching new ZTR for medium (1.5 acre) sloped area with good established gardens and clean lawns. In my research, I came across this thread and started to get concerned. still find the raptor SD to be very hard to beat, gravely, bad boy, husqvarna and JD all researched. Contacted a Hustler rep up here and he was fantastic in his response. He indicated that the units up here have all had the recall done. He also said that very few export units where affected as the problem was rectified on the builds once they found the issue.

Hustler seems to have responded well in my opinion. Granted, I can see peoples perspective of why wasn't this part of the R&D testing and proving. is Hustler a fly by nighter? in my limited dealings so far, Ive found them great. staying away from model specific issues (which we can find for any model & manufacturer), they are a serious contender. The raptor SD features for the price point, is way in front. Is it perfect , no, but which unit is at $4K? its not a entry machine but its not pro either.

if it was 5500 - 6 price point then I'd expect a different discussion and would have a different view.

regards

It's a good mower, if you spend a little more instead of getting powdered metal gears in the drivetrain you can get cut steel gears....a separate hydro pump for easier maintenance. And a welded frame instead of a stamped frame(still very durable). Again adjustable belt tension and other small differences. Boils down to application I guess, for many the SD will be a great value.

BTW I had 12 hours on mine before clutch update.

Mtmellum

Threads
It's a good mower, if you spend a little more instead of getting powdered metal gears in the drivetrain you can get cut steel gears....a separate hydro pump for easier maintenance. And a welded frame instead of a stamped frame(still very durable). Again adjustable belt tension and other small differences. Boils down to application I guess, for many the SD will be a great value.

BTW I had 12 hours on mine before clutch update.

thanks. so for the cut steel gears, is this a rebuild of the stock drives, a upgrade to 3100 drives or an upgrade to a different model hustler?

Kremeneon

Threads
I talked to the dealer a bit ago and he said he ordered the parts this morning and is coming to pick up the mower tomorrow morning.

Thanks for posting the contents of the service notification/fix in the attachments here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/24237-raptor-sd-recall-post159793.html#post159793

I am a bit concerned.... when I called the dealer Friday afternoon he said not to worry, no complaints have been made, this is something they found in R&D, etc... Then I read the actual paperwork posted in my link and it says in big bold text: DO NOT SELL OR OPERATE

Dealer had my serial #, purchase date, contact info. I assume he received this letter within a few days of the 4/23 date on it.
How come I called them a month later asking about it?
Dealer was aware of the update, why didn't they convey to me on the phone to not use the mower as advised in the service letter?
I mowed with it that night with no concern of damage to the unit or myself based on that conversation and broke the mower. I had to finish with my lawn boy walk-behind. It needed the hours but still, the RSD could have been corrected proactively when I didn't need to mow with it.

All good questions I think. I'm not going to ruffle any feathers until my mower is fixed and returned to me.

RaptorSD

Threads
Then I read the actual paperwork posted in my link and it says in big bold text: DO NOT SELL OR OPERATE

Somebody on youtube said they had a clutch bearing fail prior to the update. But yeah I'm not aware of many.

Kremeneon

Threads
I talked to the dealer a bit ago and he said he ordered the parts this morning and is coming to pick up the mower tomorrow morning.

The mower was picked up yesterday as scheduled. The dealer just called me to say it is done and will be dropped back off this afternoon. Good people so far.

Kremeneon

Threads
Just got home and saw the mower.
New spring.
Fired it up, fair amount of deck vibration.
Jimmied the seat switch and ran the deck while looking at the clutch. No runout or wobble by eye, good.
Noticed the belt does flap around quite a bit, deck spring is somewhat busier than I would expect.
Looked at the clutch, one washer.
Either they didn't follow the instructions, or did not apply the fix.