Raptor SD recall

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealers should do it. Dealers were notified so they could contact customers to organise repairs. It's not on hustler to phone 10,000 people. Next.

Again, since Hustler decided to allow big box stores to sell the RSD the dealers cannot be expected to address those customers directly. So, if Hustler has sold 10,000 units they should have discovered the problem after the first 500-1,000. Apparently, you assume that all of the RSD's without the correct parts on the clutch assembly are in that first 500-1,000 sold and account for all of the users reporting belt/tension spring problems here(I guess logistically that "could" be true). I would have to look at each post on these forums of a user who had a problem, when they bought their RSD and was their ZTR's serial# in the first 500-1,000 sold. Probably impossible, just gonna have to see when this thread dies.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I take delivery tomorrow,I'll look for the two washers first thing! If not there I will immediately call the closest dealer and get er done.Dealer has the parts to repair and will come to my house to fix.I'm hopeful my next post on Saturday will sing the praises of Hustler!:licking:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can't buy a Gravely at Lowes....ask yourself why. What I am emphasizing is that reports of the recall fix not being done are popping up on these forums daily/weekly.......now THAT's a broken record:0)
IMHO, Hustler made a huge mistake opening their product up to the big box stores!!! And I'll quit dogging the "proactive response" you described until this thread(aptly called Raptor SD recall) withers on the vine and dries up. My challenge to you is to go to one of the other Equipment By Brand forums(your pick...Gravely/Ariens, Bob-Cat, Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Cub Cadet, Toro, Ferris, Grasshopper.....whatever) and find a similar "complaint" thread with more than 2 users having the same problem and the thread lasting a month like this one. I almost bought a Hustler FasTrak Super Duty myself and consider the Hustler as a leading brand....but this thread may alienate a lot of potential buyers who aren't "charmed" by the Raptor line price point and don't want to take a chance with a problem that just keeps on keeping on!!!

The recall work is being done, I don't know where your getting that it's not. The problem is the popularity of the mower is so great that Hustler is or maybe having some problems keeping up. What were talking about isn't a major issue, it's a simple fix and if someone is halfway intelligent and in a hurry they could probably do it themselves.
Now I said in the start I thought Hustler putting mowers in BBS was a mistake and the people buying them from such was also a mistake because of the service issue.

The dealers aren't going to care about BBS mowers. They will be the last of the machines to be done, if it gets done at all will be up to the owner and if registrations were done properly or not. Now as far as how fast the problem is fixed will depend on parts availability. It could take a week or possibly a couple of months, I know it took my dealer about a month in a half to get one part for my Turf-master on it's recall so if I had a Hustler I probably wouldn't be in a hurry.

Kremeneon

Threads
So I have determined that my SD 54 is pre-recall. Can anyone post (maybe with documentation/photos) exactly what the fix entails and what it changes/why? I've seen descriptions of shim, extra washer, longer bolt.

Is the issue that the drive pulley sits too high and belt alignment causes wobble/thumping by pulling up on the deck pulleys and bits ?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I take delivery tomorrow,I'll look for the two washers first thing! If not there I will immediately call the closest dealer and get er done.Dealer has the parts to repair and will come to my house to fix.I'm hopeful my next post on Saturday will sing the praises of Hustler!:licking:

With you taking delivery tomorrow, I too am hopeful that Hustler is not sending out any more units with the inappropriate bolt/washers on the RSD's. Please post back whether it has the recall applied!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The recall work is being done, I don't know where your getting that it's not. The problem is the popularity of the mower is so great that Hustler is or maybe having some problems keeping up. What were talking about isn't a major issue, it's a simple fix and if someone is halfway intelligent and in a hurry they could probably do it themselves.
Now I said in the start I thought Hustler putting mowers in BBS was a mistake and the people buying them from such was also a mistake because of the service issue.

The dealers aren't going to care about BBS mowers. They will be the last of the machines to be done, if it gets done at all will be up to the owner and if registrations were done properly or not. Now as far as how fast the problem is fixed will depend on parts availability. It could take a week or possibly a couple of months, I know it took my dealer about a month in a half to get one part for my Turf-master on it's recall so if I had a Hustler I probably wouldn't be in a hurry.
IMHO, Hustler let too many RSD's go out for delivery after the problem was identified. They kinda created their own "backlog" and I've never really said that the recall work "isn't being done"....it's just that notifying the owners that took delivery of RSD's before the assembly line began implementing the correct alignment bolts/shims seems to be slow(based upon a continuing stream of posts like user Kremeneon above.

Kremeneon,
Did you buy your RSD from a dealer or big box store???? When did you purchase it????
P.S.
I looked at all of your posts and it appears that answered my questions...you posted on 4/17 that you bought the RSD 54 about a week ago(placing your purchase around 4/10). SO it's understandable yours is "pre-recall". And you indicated you bought at BBS and registered the RSD yourself. So you are a prime example of an owner that Hustler should have initiated a recall notice to(rather than a dealer). You've had it for approx. 6 weeks and I would consider that plenty of time for you to have received a recall notice from Hustler. One more question.....when did you register it on Hustler's website????

Kremeneon

Threads
Kremeneon,
Did you buy your RSD from a dealer or big box store???? When did you purchase it????

RSD 54 Ser 14036423
purchase 04/11/2014 Bluegrass Farm and Lawn, Shelbyville KY.
I did forget for a bit and registered online 5/8/14

I'm going to give them a call right now and see what they know.

EDIT: so I called.... They are aware and said they have not received the parts from Hustler yet. He will call me what that happens.

Last edited:

Kremeneon

Threads
Ahh, so the fun gets better. 3/4 through the lawn tonight *PING* *THWACK**WHIRrrrr*.

Belt tensioner spring broke.

Pissed.

PVHIII

Threads
Ahh, so the fun gets better. 3/4 through the lawn tonight *PING* *THWACK**WHIRrrrr*.

Pissed.
Raptor and Raptor SD are both junk mowers I owned the original Raptor for 3 months and had numerous problems to the point I took it back and bought a Fastrak SD and I LOVE IT...Hustler builds a good machine but not these two models....DON'T BUY ONE..standard rule of thumb when it comes to ZT mowers...if the deck ain't chain hung DON'T BUY IT!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Pissed.

Don't be mad...many others in this thread think that this recall is not a big deal and is being way over reacted to:0(
Of course...they aren't you or the other users that have posted the same problem with their new RSD's!! And even if it's a "handful" posting on this forum, there are probably hundreds having similar problems that don't know anything about the Lawn Mower Forum. Of course, if you had registered your RSD when you took delivery you "might" have been contacted for the recall before this happened(but all indications are that Hustler is relying on their dealer network and are not pro-actively contacting BBS owners). Let us know what you find out after you contact Hustler.