Raptor SD recall

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Raptor and Raptor SD are both junk mowers I owned the original Raptor for 3 months and had numerous problems to the point I took it back and bought a Fastrak SD and I LOVE IT...Hustler builds a good machine but not these two models....DON'T BUY ONE..standard rule of thumb when it comes to ZT mowers...if the deck ain't chain hung DON'T BUY IT!

You know....everyone seems to think that the Raptor is "brand new this season", but I distinctly remember reading(and probably replying to) your post last year about your experience. I remember that you returned it and got the FasTRak SD. That being said, it seems to me that Hustler should have been aware that there were problems with that series before the first one rolled off the assembly line this year. By any chance....did you experience a broken belt or tensioner spring???? That would look really bad on Hustler if last years introductory Raptors had the same problem as the ones they manufactured this year:0(

Kremeneon

Threads
I called dealer. They are going to pick it up Tuesday and bring it back with new spring, and recall fix. Even though they don't have the parts yet.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I called dealer. They are going to pick it up Tuesday and bring it back with new spring, and recall fix. Even though they don't have the parts yet.

That's great news and speaks volumes about Hustler and their dealer network providing after-the-sale support!! Let us know how long it takes them to get it back to you. It's a shame that Hustler somehow didn't contact all RSD owners(especially those who purchased at a BBS). I'll bet the dealers aren't real happy that they are getting blind-sided by BBS owners. I can't figure out why they don't "immediately" contact a BBS owner when the RSD is registered on their website as they should know that a dealer is not aware of that purchase.

RaptorSD

Threads

Curious what were you cutting when the spring broke? Only problem I had was trying to cut 2ft grass early in he season with the chute down, belt was slipping then shredded, spring came off sprung(they breakin and stretch anyway). What I would like to do is relocate the spring eyelet on the deck so I can add a chain and shorter spring to be able to actually adjust the tension, like it's done on commercial mowers. it wouldn't be difficult, I don't know why they didn't make it like this to begin with.

Kremeneon

Threads
Curious what were you cutting when the spring broke?

I was in creeper mode trimming around the house, not much deck load at all.

The spring broke right where it bends up off the coil to make the hook. Classic cheap spring failure point.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Curious what were you cutting when the spring broke? Only problem I had was trying to cut 2ft grass early in he season with the chute down, belt was slipping then shredded, spring came off sprung(they breakin and stretch anyway). What I would like to do is relocate the spring eyelet on the deck so I can add a chain and shorter spring to be able to actually adjust the tension, like it's done on commercial mowers. it wouldn't be difficult, I don't know why they didn't make it like this to begin with.

Adjustable tension and other features usually found on high end residential or low-end commercial ZTR's would have prevented the Raptor line from being the price point residential offering that Hustler had in mind. In fact, all of the other manufacturers are having their dealers discount some of their most popular low-end residential ZTR's to compete with the Raptor pricing. One of my local Cub Cadet/Dixie Chopper dealers are selling the Dixie Chopper Zee 1 for what you would pay for a Raptor. He is selling the 60" Cub Cadet Z-Force for exactly the same price that the Raptor SD 60" is selling for. Hustler has "set the bar" for what most other entry level or better quality residential ZTR's will sell for and all the rest are scrambling to compete.

Tta197

Threads
Here's a copy of the clutch recall / service bulletin

I bought the new bolt / washers and did the job myself. My dealer insisted that the service bulletin was done when in fact it wasn't. So rather than beg to have it done, I did it myself.
Sorry the attachment is rotated, I don't know why it did that.

Attachments

• 20140524_185145.jpg
    20140524_185145.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20140524_185128.jpg
    20140524_185128.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20140524_185137.jpg
    20140524_185137.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 100

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Sometime I can't remember what I have posted previously:confused2: Any who...I got the RSD yesterday..mine was made #522 in May of this year.The washers were added so we are good to go right?Not exactly...the battery was dead and the meter showed 63 hours.All I can figure is the yahoo that got it ready for delivery left the key in the "on" position.I have emailed Excel indicating I want my full warranty,along with mini rant.I did mow my 2+ acres today and things went very well.I have not been on a Z very much so my first mow was rather slow and methodical.I did not push the mower but its got some power I tell ya,almost lost control couple times but no incidents.Neighbors showed their customary interest but didn't throw a party :frown: I did enjoy my handiwork as I sipped a cold one.:thumbsup:

RaptorSD

Threads
Re: Here's a copy of the clutch recall / service bulletin

I bought the new bolt / washers and did the job myself. My dealer insisted that the service bulletin was done when in fact it wasn't. So rather than beg to have it done, I did it myself.

Awesome! just looking at that there's no way I would try to run w/out the washers. top bearing teetering on the stub shoulder can't be good!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Here's a copy of the clutch recall / service bulletin

Have you contacted Hustler and advised them that the dealer incorrectly advised you??? I would be afraid that doing it myself would have a negative impact on my ZTR's warranty:0(