Raptor SD recall

Mtmellum

Threads
Yeah I guess they'll make back their margins on this mower in belt sales. Anyway I do plan to mod mine down the road with chain and spring. 19 hours now and it's working great, the competition has a reason to be scrambling. Far from 'junk'.

Make sure you start a thread on that mod! I'm interested in that! Any thoughts how you will do it? This been done before on the raptor sd anyone?

Mtmellum

Threads
Just got home and saw the mower.
New spring.
Fired it up, fair amount of deck vibration.
Jimmied the seat switch and ran the deck while looking at the clutch. No runout or wobble by eye, good.
Noticed the belt does flap around quite a bit, deck spring is somewhat busier than I would expect.
Looked at the clutch, one washer.
Either they didn't follow the instructions, or did not apply the fix.

That's very concerning for sure!

Kremeneon

Threads
I've mowed twice since the mower was brought back. When the blades are engaged it makes a rattling/gurgling noise from the clutch area, at all engine speeds.
*gurgle gurgle, rattle rattle* pause *gurgle gurgle, rattle rattle*

I called the dealer this morning to ask about the oscillating/intermittent sound and if it is supposed to do that. They said they did apply the Service Bulletin 523 fix, and articulated to me the parts involved (bushing, new bolt, extra washer) and that they had heard the sounds also in checkout before bringing the mower back to me and scratched their heads about it a minute. There's only one washer under the clutch bolt, so I'm really wondering now what is going on. They said they are going to consult with Hustler and get back to me today.

Last edited:

Tta197

Threads
The belt spring for the deck is too weak and therefore the belt is very loose causing a lot vibration/shudder. I've since have replaced the deck belt spring with a heavier one which tightens the belt up. This has made a huge difference when the clutch is engaged. The blades start smoothly with absolutely no shudder. See the picture.
I bought the spring at Menards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 95

Tta197

Threads
Hustler dropped the ball with the wrong spring/tension on this excellent mower. This is what this mower needed from the factory.

Kremeneon

Threads
as in these?

X-ONEi deck spring 781302 (all decks)
X-ONEi deck spring chain 373191 (for 60" deck) 21 link, 52" has 13 link

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler dropped the ball with the wrong spring/tension on this excellent mower. This is what this mower needed from the factory.

I agree wholeheartedly...but you know that they had to "cut some corners" to make the price point for the RSD series. But the cost of a heavier duty spring and the correct length bolt/washers/shims for the clutch recall were IMHO cutting too many corners:0(

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Appreciate the tip about the spring,makes sense to replace it.(my belt really jumps when I engage the blades)I'll report back with results.

Kremeneon

Threads
I've mowed twice since the mower was brought back. When the blades are engaged it makes a rattling/gurgling noise from the clutch area, at all engine speeds.
*gurgle gurgle, rattle rattle* pause *gurgle gurgle, rattle rattle*

I called the dealer this morning....they are going to consult with Hustler and get back to me today.

Dealer is picking up my mower today. Said if they can't sort it out directly that the 'area guy' said he would stop by and have a go. I expressed that mow quality seemed fine but the vibration and clutch noise didn't register to me as normal. I said I did not want to sound picky, but I didn't want to have something simple become a big warranty claim later if the clutch and Kawa driveshaft take each other out.

Tta197

Threads
Dealer is picking up my mower today. Said if they can't sort it out directly that the 'area guy' said he would stop by and have a go. I expressed that mow quality seemed fine but the vibration and clutch noise didn't register to me as normal. I said I did not want to sound picky, but I didn't want to have something simple become a big warranty claim later if the clutch and Kawa driveshaft take each other out.

Keep in mind that the new bolt has a JM stamped on it versus the JH, so there might be a difference in strength also. They're both the same length.