Raptor SD recall

Kremeneon

Threads
Keep in mind that the new bolt has a JM stamped on it versus the JH, so there might be a difference in strength also. They're both the same length.

I have no idea what JM and JH mean, but my current bolt is JM and has the same three radial line markings as the old bolt, indicating both are grade 5.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Tta......I want to make sure I understand your belt tightening fix.I just got the spring from Menards and came back to look at your pics.Now I notice you added two lengths of chain as well...(I'm putting this on RSD),I assume chain is needed....could you clarify the size of chain.Thanks for your help!

Tta197

Threads
Tta......I want to make sure I understand your belt tightening fix.I just got the spring from Menards and came back to look at your pics.Now I notice you added two lengths of i hain well...(I'm putting this on RSD),I assume chain is needed....could you clarify the size of chain.Thanks for your help!

I added the two links because you don't want to stretch that spring all the way to attaching clevis. That would make the belt too tight. I found that adding the two links was the perfect tension I was looking for. I used a ratcheting tie down strap to stretch the spring. You won't be able to do it by hand. I bought a small section of 5400 lb.. chain at Lowes. I'll let you know the item number from Lowes if you need it later tomorrow.

Last edited:

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I appreciate your explanation.I will look for a device(?) that will afford me the option of tightening the spring on the fly.I'm hopeful to find something I could ratchet to tighten but remains on the mower for future adjustments.A small tensioner for the spring if you will.Off to Home Depot!:licking:

Kremeneon

Threads
I appreciate your explanation.I will look for a device(?) that will afford me the option of tightening the spring on the fly.

A small turnbuckle might be the ticket. potential gotcha might be some kind of retaining clip to keep it from unwinding itself under tension and vibration.

CMP0034850_pc_JARUM+KERAS+-+TURN+BUCKLE+-+SPAN+SKRUP.jpg

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
A small turnbuckle might be the ticket. potential gotcha might be some kind of retaining clip to keep it from unwinding itself under tension and vibration.

After going to HP I'm still trying to get this together:frown:The turnbuckle idea is essentially all I found as well,however the turnbuckles are not robust enough to take the constant pull.Back to the drawing board....I got some mowing to do while it is dry.I'm amazed that Tta was able to flex the spring enough to attach it,this spring is heavy duty industrial grade.

Kremeneon

Threads
I'm amazed that Tta was able to flex the spring enough to attach it,this spring is heavy duty industrial grade.

easy way...
Pull belt off idler.
Slide idler all the way in and hook up spring.
Loop a rope over the idler where the belt goes, tie in a loop around your shoe.
On knees, get in a line with the spring direction and push your foot out, pulling the idler back easily far enough to pop the belt on.
Untie rope loop and fish it off the idler.

Tta197

Threads
I used one of these ratchet tie down straps. On one end I put the hook of the strap on the spring and the other end attached to the trailer hitch of my truck.
The chain I used is from Lowes (3/8 high 5400 lb.).

Attachments

• f31e361b-9394-4017-a94c-7408fee88460_300.jpeg
    f31e361b-9394-4017-a94c-7408fee88460_300.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Kremeneon

Threads
Dealer found the intermittent rattle at the clutch anti-spin strut. Seems hustler is aware and a rubber or plastic sleeve/bumper is coming.