Yawzya that's expensive.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Which is the repair that I did. For my area the 5/32 rivets are kind of hard to find.
That why I ordered them from McMaster-Carr [97525A473 stainless steel version] or if Fastenal around try them. But I am all the time ordering fasteners from McMaster.

50 for $10 plus shipping not too bad. They actually went down some. I really was needing the 3/16 rivets and M6 screws. Now this was couple years ago and I am about out now.
1697909581136.png
But I tell you that you better have a very good pop rivet tool for the 3/16 SS rivets. Impossible to break the anvil with a common hand rivet tool.

Last edited:

bnicol456

Forum Newbie
Threads

Gil

Threads

015-2750-00 Bad Boy Muffler for 27hp Kophler

SV840-3012
They're wanting over $300 for this. It must have gold plating on the inside. Part muffler, part catalytic converter? lol

Understand. Had a John Deere Gator with bad muffler. Checked with JD and price was about $375. Shopped around for awhile and could find as pipe and muffler one unit was proprietary to JD. Had to bite the bullet and get from JD, but when went back to them a few months later it had gone up to about $450. Its a protect your market make your parts unique to the unit.
Regards, Gil

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Understand. Had a John Deere Gator with bad muffler. Checked with JD and price was about $375. Shopped around for awhile and could find as pipe and muffler one unit was proprietary to JD. Had to bite the bullet and get from JD, but when went back to them a few months later it had gone up to about $450. Its a protect your market make your parts unique to the unit.
Regards, Gil
you have no idea what you are talking about Gill.
The price is all about volumes , warehousing & logistics
firstly JD get the mufflers made for them which are designed to work properly so they do not burn the grass, set fire to your mower or wake the dead when you mow.
because the numbers are lowish, the unit cost is high & usually they are paid for at end of the month after delivery
so the excess made for supplying replacements are paid for perhaps 10 years before they will be sold
then they sit in a warehouse costing a lot more to run than most people would believe , which is why a lot of on line retail drop ship because this can knock up to half of the delivered cost off the item
then finally your muffler needs to be picked, packed , invoiced & delivered to the dealer who also needs to make a profit on the sale

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its a protect your market make your parts unique to the unit.
Harley does that a lot.. They even have a patent on the V-2 Harley engine sound..

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a 20+ year old gator that needed a needle and seat in the carb. JD only spared the carb at $350 plus a special order fee. KAWASAKI showed the engine as John Deere only with no parts list. Found a $2 needle that worked. That was 5 years ago. I wonder what that carb is now? If you can get it.
Must be carb week. I cleaned and rebuilt 2 old Briggs flo jets, 2 tecumseh push mower carbs and a couple string trimmer cube carbs.

I had an old Honda Rancher with a bad needle. I used a briggs needle and it ran like a top.

Oddjob

Threads
you have no idea what you are talking about Gill.
The price is all about volumes , warehousing & logistics
firstly JD get the mufflers made for them which are designed to work properly so they do not burn the grass, set fire to your mower or wake the dead when you mow.
because the numbers are lowish, the unit cost is high & usually they are paid for at end of the month after delivery
so the excess made for supplying replacements are paid for perhaps 10 years before they will be sold
then they sit in a warehouse costing a lot more to run than most people would believe , which is why a lot of on line retail drop ship because this can knock up to half of the delivered cost off the item
then finally your muffler needs to be picked, packed , invoiced & delivered to the dealer who also needs to make a profit on the sale
All true, but the biggest reason is lack of competition. If the part was interchangeable with other mass produced parts, you’d see much lower prices. I just forked over $800 for a Honeywell thermostat for my Trane heat pump. No other thermostat is compatible with this unit and no one but Honeywell makes them. They are not repairable. They charge $800 because they can.

12icer

Threads
Yeah a welder, a drill press a chop saw and some stainless tubing goes a long way, you can shape a flange in about a minute with a 7inch side grinder, use the old muffler and pipes as patterns.
Easy to drill the inlet holes bend them 90 and swing them in pointing away from the outlet inside end run the outlet almost to the other end of the tube and you have a muffler you can quieten it down with baffling if you want just put some plates with holes drilled in them between the inlets and the outlet pipes,

Just depends on how quiet, hot and how much money and build time you want in it.

HEH you can even put custom duals on it if the cables gas lines and wires will let you..

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ordered a new fuel tank to replace the one that has cracked at a seam under the hold down clamp for my tractor. $377 with tax.