Will $5 a gallon gas change your mowing habits?

Well, here in Ontario we're getting hit by a double whammy. Not only is the price of gas skyrocketing, but most of the effective lawn chemicals are now banned. Unless you own a golf course, (which are exempt), your yard is guaranteed to turn into a jungle. :frown:
 
Well, here in Ontario we're getting hit by a double whammy. Not only is the price of gas skyrocketing, but most of the effective lawn chemicals are now banned. Unless you own a golf course, (which are exempt), your yard is guaranteed to turn into a jungle. :frown:

Regarding the ban on lawn chemicals, are you talking about bug killers, weed killers, or fertilizers? I will take a guess and say it's weed killers. To be honest, although I have a huge yard, I don't need to use much weed killer, it's mainly for areas around borders where it is hard to use a weed trimmer.
 
Yes, weed killers. I've used Killex in the past, but now all that's available are far less effective organic substitutes at a much higher price. Most home owners have given up and are letting their yards get over-run by dandelions when they're in season.
 
I don't think I will if it get to that point. I like to see a well groomed lawn, and I like to smell the fresh cut grass when I'm finish. Besides my Wife like to cut the grass anyways. All I have to do is keep the mower up with the maintenance and make sure it is full of fuel for her. I think it is cheaper then getting sheep to cut the grass anyways.:laughing:
 
I don't think I will if it get to that point. I like to see a well groomed lawn, and I like to smell the fresh cut grass when I'm finish. Besides my Wife like to cut the grass anyways. All I have to do is keep the mower up with the maintenance and make sure it is full of fuel for her. I think it is cheaper then getting sheep to cut the grass anyways.:laughing:

But just imagine the free fertilizer sheep would provide....:laughing:
 
JD Green,
The coyotes around here kill the sheep. I live 4 blocks from city hall. When I built the house I drove 32 miles one way to work, that was 40 years ago. No one has sheep around here. The coyotes climb 7' fences to get to them. They cut into the sheep's belly and only eat the tasty stuff. Then kill another one. I live in Gilbert, Arizona. There's houses for 25 miles in all directions.

Got a JD 48" for the field and Black & Decker 48v electric for around the empty pool. Some times the B&D can mow the back yard twise. Desert front yard with turn drive.

Check out home projects in link below.

http://www.enichesoftware.com
Vern
 
JD Green,
The coyotes around here kill the sheep. I live 4 blocks from city hall. When I built the house I drove 32 miles one way to work, that was 40 years ago. No one has sheep around here. The coyotes climb 7' fences to get to them. They cut into the sheep's belly and only eat the tasty stuff. Then kill another one. I live in Gilbert, Arizona. There's houses for 25 miles in all directions.

Got a JD 48" for the field and Black & Decker 48v electric for around the empty pool. Some times the B&D can mow the back yard twise. Desert front yard with turn drive.

Check out home projects in link below.

http://www.enichesoftware.com
Vern

Coyotes...worthless vermin. I have lived in Michigan all my left (59 years) and in the country for 23 but have never seen one, alive or dead. Our 4 cats only get outside when I am there to keep an eye on them and I carry a .380 just in case...if I ever see a live coyote it will be a dead one quick.
 
Hi there,

I'm new here to the forum.

Sounds like gas prices up here are worse than you guys. I paid $4.54 CAN on Saturday. :frown:

We arent mowing yet (still snowmobiling and ice fishing), but it sure makes you think about running the snow machine all day.
 
Back
Top