Will $5 a gallon gas change your mowing habits?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our local newspaper had a story yesterday saying because of the unrest in Libya, the price per gallon may hit $5 by summer. Diesel of course will be even more costly. I would cut back my mowing but I already let it go too long between mowings because my lawn is so huge. The irritating thing about my mower deck is that it doesn't chop the clippings up very well and the longer I go between mowings the worse the rows of uncut clippings get. I should try to find some new blades that will do a better job of chopping the clippings up. Anybody have experience with a good replacement blade for a JD 7-Iron deck? Mine still has the OEM set.

indypower

Threads
Gator blades chop up the clippings. With regular blades, I had to empty my bags every other pass. With Gator blades I can make 6-8 passes. And for leaves, I put on my mulching plug, mulch them, then go over them again, after they are mulched, with the bagger on and suck the mulch into the bags.

david80

Threads
If gas hits $5 a gallon or even $4 a gallon I can guarantee that I will let my grass get a little taller than I might otherwise. Everything else is already going up so much without adding gas into the mix as well.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator blades chop up the clippings. With regular blades, I had to empty my bags every other pass. With Gator blades I can make 6-8 passes. And for leaves, I put on my mulching plug, mulch them, then go over them again, after they are mulched, with the bagger on and suck the mulch into the bags.

Gator blades...does that refer to a different model of JD blade? For leaves I always use my pusher mower and bag them up, it has a mulching blade and I do not have that many leaves to take care of.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as the homeowner changing there mowing habits I'd say probably not. I think your larger Commercial Businesses with working crews and the larger Residential Businesses will be hurt the most if the gas gets to $5 a gallon.
I got gas this morning Reg. unleaded was 3.14 Mid-grade was 3.26 diesel was 3.54. There was some Oil Executive on the Tv ( MSNBC ) last night saying there quarterly adjustment is due the first week of March and there would be 25 cent across the board increase.:rolleyes:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as the homeowner changing there mowing habits I'd say probably not. I think your larger Commercial Businesses with working crews and the larger Residential Businesses will be hurt the most if the gas gets to $5 a gallon.
I got gas this morning Reg. unleaded was 3.14 Mid-grade was 3.26 diesel was 3.54. There was some Oil Executive on the Tv ( MSNBC ) last night saying there quarterly adjustment is due the first week of March and there would be 25 cent across the board increase.:rolleyes:

Quarterly adjustment, huh? The first week of March will mean the calender year is two months old. How can the idiots make a quarterly adjustment after only two months? DUHHHHH. Any excuse to raise their profits.

mois25

Threads
I will sure change my mowing habits; kind of let the grass grow a bit taller as well. I also presume the unrest in Egypt was another contributing factor but thank God that got over.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will sure change my mowing habits; kind of let the grass grow a bit taller as well. I also presume the unrest in Egypt was another contributing factor but thank God that got over.

It's really easy to let your grass grow a bit taller when "I don't own a mower"....:laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quarterly adjustment, huh? The first week of March will mean the calender year is two months old. How can the idiots make a quarterly adjustment after only two months? DUHHHHH. Any excuse to raise their profits.

Well March would be the third month of the year so I guess they observe that as quarterly. Ya know you really need to cut those company's some slack, I believe it was Exxon that only made 54.4 Billion in profits in 2010, they need the money :licking::wink: