Where to sharpen blade?

You can't use a nail to balance a blade because #1 you can't put the blade back on the nail in the same spot twice in a row, #2 when you set the blade on the nail depending on the size of the blade you can already be up to 3/8" out of center. In order to sharpen the blade correctly you have to find the center of rotation and a cone does that. Tecomec makes a balancer along with Oregon or Stens reasonably priced or Magna Matic if you want to spend a bunch of money, all wall mount applications. The thing is an out of balance blade will not only or can cause vibration it can also effect the cut of the mower.

And for less then 5 dollars you can buy a balance from E-bay. If cared for will last a life time
 
And for less then 5 dollars you can buy a balance from E-bay. If cared for will last a life time

You don't even need to do that, you can go to your dealer and buy the metal cones for like $3.50. That's what I use. The others are available if you want to spend the money. I would think what you need would depend on how often and how many blades your going to be sharpening.
 
There are just as many ways to sharpen a mower blade. As there are Oil's to put in your engine!!
Everybody believes they have the best way and that the others need to be good little sheep and listen to them.
You need to sharpen and balance your blades the way you want to!!
Do what has worked best for you!!
If sharpening in a vise with an angle grinder gives you the results you want great.
If balancing with a nail is what you like to do great!!
I have been around mower shops for years. The ones that have been doing it and are still in business keeping and bringing in happy customers 40 plus years. They hang there blades on a nail. If you know how to position the blade, and know what you are doing the nail works great. If you need a plastic, metal cone to tell you the blade is balanced great!!
 
Not all blade will sit on a nail.
A craftsman star will not sit on a nail.
Most MTD stars sit perfect on a nail.
I use the H center blades that will not sit on a nail.

I use the cone if just cleaning up the blade.
When I have to take the edge down because of a big chip I use a deck spindle mounted on the wall
 
Not all blade will sit on a nail.
A craftsman star will not sit on a nail.
Most MTD stars sit perfect on a nail.
I use the H center blades that will not sit on a nail.

I use the cone if just cleaning up the blade.
When I have to take the edge down because of a big chip I use a deck spindle mounted on the wall


No such thing as setting perfect on a nail, it's impossible because you can't sit the blade on a nail in the same place twice, it's inaccurate and not consistent and has no value in reducing vibration.
 
No such thing as setting perfect on a nail, it's impossible because you can't sit the blade on a nail in the same place twice, it's inaccurate and not consistent and has no value in reducing vibration.

With a star center it sits on the nail in the same spot every time.

I agree with a round center it will not sit in the same spot every time.

I find that a star will not sit on the cone the same every time and a H will not sit good at all
 
I have seen two owner manuals that recommend using a nail... well actually they recommend an unthreaded bolt. How would a star or h hole fit on one of those cones?
 
Back
Top