Where to sharpen blade?

Do you find that the cone used to balance the blade is really necessary?

Yes and no. After you clean, balance and sharpen a blade it starts with a balance blade. I would say after some use, the blade gets build up of dry grass on and the balance is gone.
 
Yes and no. After you clean, balance and sharpen a blade it starts with a balance blade. I would say after some use, the blade gets build up of dry grass on and the balance is gone.

No the grass build up is even. Next time test before you sharpen its amazing lol
 
Do you find that the cone used to balance the blade is really necessary?

That would depend on how or what you sharpen the blade with. I use a Hand held grinder but I use a sanding disk so it doesn't take off as much as a stone but still gives the blade a good edge and I don't balance but every couple of times. The Cones works better than anything else unless you want to spend more money.
 
Last edited:
Oh ok. I thought that I might need to get a digital balancer to do it correctly.

I use a nail on the wall too. The blade is going to be centered on the nail... if one side doesn't drop down then there is balance IMO.
I use a hand grinder too but it's a Makita not HF. But... I have 2 HF sawzalls and both work great. They aren't going to last as long as a real Milwaukee sawzall but they were only 10 bucks each and they haven't disappointed yet.
I watched a guy sharpen a blade with a bench grinder using a home made jig. Looks like the way to go.
 
I use a nail on the wall too. The blade is going to be centered on the nail... if one side doesn't drop down then there is balance IMO.
I use a hand grinder too but it's a Makita not HF. But... I have 2 HF sawzalls and both work great. They aren't going to last as long as a real Milwaukee sawzall but they were only 10 bucks each and they haven't disappointed yet.
I watched a guy sharpen a blade with a bench grinder using a home made jig. Looks like the way to go.

You can't use a nail to balance a blade because #1 you can't put the blade back on the nail in the same spot twice in a row, #2 when you set the blade on the nail depending on the size of the blade you can already be up to 3/8" out of center. In order to sharpen the blade correctly you have to find the center of rotation and a cone does that. Tecomec makes a balancer along with Oregon or Stens reasonably priced or Magna Matic if you want to spend a bunch of money, all wall mount applications. The thing is an out of balance blade will not only or can cause vibration it can also effect the cut of the mower.
 
Back
Top