Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement

svlawnmower

Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement
Problem:
My tiller has a 7hp Briggs and Stratton engine (see details below) and I'm having problems with it not starting. I did have stablizer in it previously since it sits over over the winter.

What I have tried:
  • Though I had stabilizer in it, I did drain and replace the fuel
  • I noticed the plug wasn't sparking - or it was hard to see it spark. After checking the coil with a multimeter it read t 2.6 ohms. I replaced it with a spare coil I had which tested 19+ ohms and replaced the spark plug with a new one. Used a business card to gap the coil and magneto/.
When I did these things, it still wouldn't start but it would fire and run on a shots of starting fluid
  • I decided the carburetor probably needed cleaning and rebuild and bought a rebuild kit specific to this engine from Briggs and Stratton for this model
    • I cleaned the carburetor multiple times intentionally with Carb cleaner and air hose making sure fluid shot through all the holes in both directions when possible.
    • Replaced parts and the gaskets - they were in bad shape. This included the bottom bowl screw gasket and the bowl o-ring
After doing this, it would not start at all, even with starting fluid to assist - then my pull cord broke. So I decided to quit, come in and post something - :)

Engine Info:
121412 - 0158 - E1
Family YBSXS.2051HF - 274479
0008281 D (s/n ??)
Briggs and Stratton 7HP

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony 7HP Tiller won't start after carburetor rebuild and coil replacement
are you getting fuel in the bowl?

Caregiver5354

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have started replacing the carburetor instead of rebuilding them. The cost difference is not much, I search the ole interweb and usually find what I need. I think you will be surprised on how little the price difference is.

svlawnmower

Threads
I have started replacing the carburetor instead of rebuilding them. The cost difference is not much, I search the ole interweb and usually find what I need. I think you will be surprised on how little the price difference is.
I thought about it, but wanted to exhaust all my options before doing so.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Problem:
My tiller has a 7hp Briggs and Stratton engine (see details below) and I'm having problems with it not starting. I did have stablizer in it previously since it sits over over the winter.

What I have tried:
  • Though I had stabilizer in it, I did drain and replace the fuel
  • I noticed the plug wasn't sparking - or it was hard to see it spark. After checking the coil with a multimeter it read t 2.6 ohms. I replaced it with a spare coil I had which tested 19+ ohms and replaced the spark plug with a new one. Used a business card to gap the coil and magneto/.
When I did these things, it still wouldn't start but it would fire and run on a shots of starting fluid
  • I decided the carburetor probably needed cleaning and rebuild and bought a rebuild kit specific to this engine from Briggs and Stratton for this model
    • I cleaned the carburetor multiple times intentionally with Carb cleaner and air hose making sure fluid shot through all the holes in both directions when possible.
    • Replaced parts and the gaskets - they were in bad shape. This included the bottom bowl screw gasket and the bowl o-ring
After doing this, it would not start at all, even with starting fluid to assist - then my pull cord broke. So I decided to quit, come in and post something - :)

Engine Info:
121412 - 0158 - E1
Family YBSXS.2051HF - 274479
0008281 D (s/n ??)
Briggs and Stratton 7HP

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you clean the fuel bowl retaining screw which is the main jet?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get yourself a spark tester or make your own from a good spark plug, just gap it 1/4 in. If you don't get a good spark the coil or flywheel magnets are bad. That carburetor should have a fuel pump built into it so also check that

svlawnmower

Threads
Yes, I did clean the bowl and retaining screw, and noticed the holes in the screw. So I am a little naive here but having holes means it probably has to align correctly. How do I make sure... do I simply bottom it out tightly?